Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Half marathon coming & starting primal....HELP!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Loka View Post
    Hi, My pre-primal diet is mainly trying to go low fat (cos I've got high cholesterol above 300points) with "healthy" carbs like whole grain bread, white rice (being a staple in Asia) and beans. But I often binge on carbs and sugar the night before my weekly long run (about 15km).
    You should consider challenging the idea of a low fat diet and speaking with your doctor. There's been alot of research into dietry fat of late. Some of the conclusions of this research have proven many long term dietry assumptions incorrect.

Firstly fat and cholesterol consumed within a diet does not translate to colesterol in the blood. High fat diets have been proven to increase good colesterols, decrease bad colesterols and produced dramatic reductions in triglicerides. This research has lead scientists to believe that colesterols is more closely related to animal fats produced by the body (related to liver fat, which is produced by anabolic processes caused during insulin spikes).

High levels of dietry fat cause adaptations to fat burning. An unexpected level of endurance ability can be obtained purely from a high fat diet without training. Coupled with training a high fat diet can produce dramatic endurance inmprovements.

I've included some links from the eating academy, but there are dozens of good sources of imformation available. Check through the links and run a google search.

How did we come to believe saturated fat and cholesterol are bad for us? « The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.
    How can I lose weight? « The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

Comment

Hi Aussie Dave, thanks for your advice! Will look into it! 👍

Cheers 😊

Comment

Originally posted by Loka View Post
        Hi hi, just wondering if anyone knows why?.....

Whenever I do my long run, I always get an aching sharp pain at the back of my jaw (where wisdom tooth was) at about 13km. Is it dehydration?. Fyi, I run first thing in the morning, only with a cup of black coffee & electrolyte water, cos I can't stomach any food in the morning! Which is why I'm a little worried cos my first half marathon next week will flag off at 5am, don't know if I've the energy to last through the whole journey

Cheers

From a little island in S.E.A.
        Some people hitch up their shoulders when they run, which translates into neck and jaw pain. Concentrating on relaxing your shoulders may help.
        “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
        Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Comment

Just my 2 cents as much I rate Paleo/Primal you shouldn't change your diet until after your race. Your body needs time to adapt to it's new fuel which is likely to interfere with your race.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by loafingcactus View Post
            Training is training... You don't mess with it at the last minute, advice of total strangers on the Internet or otherwise. What on earth?!!!
            Perhaps you shouldn't mess with it if you've got things where you want them, but, generally, I constantly 'mess' with my training - up to and through the last minute. I don't know how else to learn (but I have never 'won' a race doing this).
            Last edited by dogfuel; 01-24-2014, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Need similar help -- I am 2 weeks into primal eating and am in the middle of training for my second half marathon. I'm 8 weeks out from the race. My energy level has been much lower. My last 2 weekend long runs have been very tough. In fact, I had to cut the one today short -- I just did not have the energy. I've been keeping my carbs mostly around 100 grams during the last couple of weeks -- with one or two days a little over. Help! How should I adjust my carbs to be able to keep training? How many additional carbs and when to eat them? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by esal1 View Post
                Need similar help -- I am 2 weeks into primal eating and am in the middle of training for my second half marathon. I'm 8 weeks out from the race. My energy level has been much lower. My last 2 weekend long runs have been very tough. In fact, I had to cut the one today short -- I just did not have the energy. I've been keeping my carbs mostly around 100 grams during the last couple of weeks -- with one or two days a little over. Help! How should I adjust my carbs to be able to keep training? How many additional carbs and when to eat them? Any help is greatly appreciated!
                Hi esal1.... Just to share with you my experience from last year 😉,...

I had terrible runs in the first month when I was trying to go primal as well, even for my short runs. As I was less than 3 weeks away from my race then, I've decided to put primal eating on hold first and up my carbs much more to abt 250g to 350g per day. Immediately I got my energy back, esp for my long runs, especially when I carb load the night before! (But I did it the unhealthy way, which is through sugar and bread &#128542

Since you have a much longer time than me to your race, you can add up your carbs now in a much healthier way through sweet potatoes, bananas and white rice. I'm now training for my full marathon in May, and I find white rice works best for me the night before my runs (I usually run in the morning on empty cos I can't stomach food 😖...that is something I need work out too...)

What's your diet like before you go primal? It's good to stick with the carbs your body is already familiar with now if you are trying to race. And try to make adjustments to the rest of your diet from there?

Cheers 😊

Comment

Working...
                X