Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So can we build muscle on paleo and if so...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So can we build muscle on paleo and if so...

Are there modifications/up feeds/tweaks to support muscle building?

I understand what Mark Says about Paleo being able to maintain healthy muscle and fat levels but I am asking about increasing muscle size and density -

Hearing so many mixed articles on this where people are saying not possible/possible etc.

Thanks.

I should inform on my goals:

I would like to Recomp - I am fairly lean weighing 150lbs at around +- 9-10% BF
    Doing Stronglights 3x per week and some HIIT Sprints thrown in
    Last edited by fkjr2; 08-05-2013, 07:10 AM.

You can build muscle on paleo.

How you go about it depends on whether you are trying to gain weight or merely to recomposition to decrease fat at the same time.

In either case you will need to be eating a protein surplus and doing strength training.

If you are trying to recomposition, you would maintain your weight by eating just enough calories to do that, which will depend on your metabolism and your exercise. If you are a naturally skinny, you may have to eat a lot of extra calories to gain that weight.

Good luck.

Comment

why would you think it would be difficult to gain muscle because you stopped eating grains, seed oils and processed foods? do those things have some sort of super anabolic properties that i'm not aware of?

Comment

You might want to increase tubers, including white potatoes, experiment with dairy and switch up macros depending on the type of training you do that day. Paleo style can be maintained on any macros (i.e. Primal on the rest days with higher fat, lower carb and tubers-lean proteins from egg whites, white fish, turkey breasts, NF dairy on lifting days). Corbain has a book about adopting Paleo for athlets.
        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Thanks - I just don't want to waste time doing heavy lifts while doing strict Paleo - I seem to be looking "flat"

lots of bodybuilding advocates preach more higher glycemic carbs post lift to spike up the insulin and pump nutrients into muscles - I am not advocating eating crappy oils and grains, as NOT ON THE RUG suggested, just wanted to know if I should be incorporating more things like rice, potato, tapioca flour, etc post lift days to take advantage of muscle building - I love doing Paleo and feel great just want more effective muscle development.

Comment

paleo isn't low carb. so eat plenty of white rice, tubers, tapioca, etc. I incorporate white rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and fruit in to my diet on a daily basis.

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
              paleo isn't low carb. so eat plenty of white rice, tubers, tapioca, etc. I incorporate white rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and fruit in to my diet on a daily basis.
              Lift huge, eat huge. For me to pack on any extra muscle, especially with clean paleo, I have to eat a LOT. I've always had to eat a lot to put on tons of weight, though, so YMMV. Get enough protein and carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                I thought these foods were not Paleo?

I would be more inclined to eat sweet potato and tapioca flour

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                  Lift huge, eat huge. For me to pack on any extra muscle, especially with clean paleo, I have to eat a LOT. I've always had to eat a lot to put on tons of weight, though, so YMMV. Get enough protein and carbs.
                  right but Im trying not to add extra fat to my frame as I would like to recomp.

Comment

Originally posted by fkjr2 View Post
                    here we go again...

Comment

So your question isn't really whether you can gain muscle mass while paleo, it's whether you can add muscle mass while avoiding additional fat mass altogether. And the answer is, maybe a little, probably not much, and good luck.
                      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Thanks for the very vague answer

Comment

Thanks for the very vague answer
                          vague or not, it's the truth. if you want to add and real discernible muscle mass, then you'll probably add some fat along with it. that's just how it works

Comment

Understood however its been done before with little/no noticeable fat gain - there are case studies/blogs on it - so I know it can be achieved if done right. Was just asking initially if it could be done with Strict Paleo

Comment

Understood however its been done before with little/no noticeable fat gain - there are case studies/blogs on it - so I know it can be achieved if done right. Was just asking initially if it could be done with Strict Paleo
                              you're setting yourself up for failure if you think it is a realistic goal. honestly. if you want to gain real muscle mass, you need a caloric surplus. you can dial in precisely what that surplus will be (+300 calories, +500 calories, etc) but it still needs to be a surplus. and with that comes fat. if you go +200 a day, your fat gains might be minimal, but so will your muscle gains.

as for" doing it with strict paleo" I think that is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. what types of grains, seed/veggies oils and processed foods make you gain muscle without gaining fat? why do you keep coming back to this? how could eating that crap be better than eating real foods when it comes to these goals? what sort of paleo misinformation have you come across that would lead you to believe this is the case?

Comment

Working...
                              X