Help wanted from meatheads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help wanted from meatheads

I have just done a trail marathon and as I like to keep my body guessing I am now embarking on a bit of beefing up. I am 5ft 10 and about 66kg and very lean. I have access to a gym. Advice and tips please.
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

Starting Strength, 3rd edition: Mark Rippetoe, Jason Kelly: 9780982522738: Amazon.com: Books

Next question...
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Where can I get the same advice without paying?
      Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
      www.primaljoy.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by MaceyUK View Post
        Where can I get the same advice without paying?
        Buy the Kindle version. It's worth it by a long shot.
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Watch videos on youtube on how to do Deadlifts, Squats, and Benchpress. Throw in some pullups and you should be good to go.
          Use google to look up a rep and set scheme that works for you. Eat, and sleep a LOT. When you think you have eaten enough have another meal.
          Or go to the Library and check out Starting Strength, or Westside Barbell.
          Is this the kind of info you wanted?

Comment

Yep, I think I need to eat more and lift heavy stuff with good form. youtube clips are a good idea and I'll get the kindle version of starting strength.
            www.primaljoy.co.uk

Comment

Good book, especially for the in-depth info on the squat, dead, gym setup, etc. BUT it relies heavily on GOMAD for its results. GOMAD is a gallon of milk a day which will promptly make you strong, yes, but fatter than f*** too. Don't do it.

Get the book for the exercise advice but skip the diet recommendations. Make it paleo instead.

Comment

Originally posted by MouthDR View Post
                Good book, especially for the in-depth info on the squat, dead, gym setup, etc. BUT it relies heavily on GOMAD for its results. GOMAD is a gallon of milk a day which will promptly make you strong, yes, but fatter than f*** too. Don't do it.

Get the book for the exercise advice but skip the diet recommendations. Make it paleo instead.
                Love people who dispute things in the book without apparently having read it. GOMAD is for skinny 15-year olds who "can't gain weight." Nowhere does it say that GOMAD is appropriate for all trainees. I know. Because I own and have read the book.
                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

If memory serves, he said drink milk if you're a skinny boy.

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                    Love people who dispute things in the book without apparently having read it. GOMAD is for skinny 15-year olds who "can't gain weight." Nowhere does it say that GOMAD is appropriate for all trainees. I know. Because I own and have read the book.
                    I have the 2nd edition. How the f*** would you know if I have read it or not? I have yet to see anyone that has followed that program and is lean. Although EVERYONE I have seen that follows it is fatter than f***. My observations.

BTW, there is nothing new about that program. It's nothing different from the multitude of strength building programs out there.

Comment

I have read the first two chapters and it makes sense...I'm not daft enough to drink a gallon of milk a day or I wouldn't be a member of this community. I am expecting to eat quite a bit more but I have never been overweight in my life. I may go for 6 eggs in one go or a whole chicken spread out over an afternoon and evening. from what I know and have read overeating will stimulate growth but it needs to be done with control....if that makes any sense.
                      www.primaljoy.co.uk

Comment

I have the 2nd edition. How the f*** would you know if I have read it or not? I have yet to see anyone that has followed that program and is lean. Although EVERYONE I have seen that follows it is fatter than f***. My observations.

BTW, there is nothing new about that program. It's nothing different from the multitude of strength building programs out there.
                        Sounds like you're a bit too emotionally invested in this conversation. Starting Strength is a great base for inexperienced trainees to start with, and you will get strong and pack on some mass. Your observations mean jack shit, because they're just that; observations. I followed starting strength, didn't get fat, and I am lean. Assuming your observations apply in every situation is idiotic.

Anyways, Starting Strength is excellent for beginners. However, I wouldn't recommend it for people who are focused on hypertrophy and are at the intermediate stages of lifting.
                        My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Comment

Starting strength are for dudes that want to learn to lift heavier, but not necessary beef up too much! You can do the program or similar stuff like an old school full body program, or 5X5 etc., to catch in some newbie gains and then jump on a hypertrophy program, if that’s what you want. Don’t buy the arch-BS that you must lift a certain amount of weight to go off the program. I would not advice newbies to do linear progressive overload training for more than 6-8 months before leaving the bandwagon, jump off when stalling on your lifts…
                          "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

I have the 2nd edition. How the f*** would you know if I have read it or not?
                            Either you didn't read it or you didn't understand it. Because your assertion about the role of GOMAD was pretty wrong.

http://startingstrength.com/articles...n_rippetoe.pdf

I have yet to see anyone that has followed that program and is lean. Although EVERYONE I have seen that follows it is fatter than f***. My observations.
                            If they're "fatter than f***," they're not doing the program. See article linked above.

It's certainly not the first program to utilize a novice linear progression and focus on the 4 main compount full-ROM lifts. Nobody ever said it was.

It is probably the best explanation of the hows and whys, which is why I recommend everyone who's a novice lifter do some novice linear progression, and why I recommend all novice lifters read SS:BBT3.
                            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                              Either you didn't read it or you didn't understand it. Because your assertion about the role of GOMAD was pretty wrong.

http://startingstrength.com/articles...n_rippetoe.pdf

If they're "fatter than f***," they're not doing the program. See article linked above.

It's certainly not the first program to utilize a novice linear progression and focus on the 4 main compount full-ROM lifts. Nobody ever said it was.

It is probably the best explanation of the hows and whys, which is why I recommend everyone who's a novice lifter do some novice linear progression, and why I recommend all novice lifters read SS:BBT3.
                              Truth

Comment

Working...
                              X