X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best martial art?

Shou Shu Online
    Sheng Chi Kung Fu | Make an Impact!

I have yet to find one better. This is a pretty rare art, and the 'why' for that would take a little storytelling. You can read around his websites if you're interested. If you're lucky, there might be a school near you. If not, just learning concepts from the website and all of the first belt material would be of help to aspiring martial artists.

I love the martial arts.... Talk to me if you do too.

PS- Shou Shu is the name of the art, and Sheng Chi is the name of his school. I don't want to confuse you right off the bat.

I have researched Krav Maga and it looks pretty street effective. More realistic than katas and letting people stand there while one kicks them. I personally practice Aikido but I am not sure how effective it would be with a wild attack. I want to start Karv Maga as well. Street related arts. Nothing with a philosophy to it.

Comment

For striking, I'd say muay thai is at or near the top of the list. For grappling, some form of wrestling or Brazilian jiu-jitsu.
      "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

Comment

Remember before "Mixed Martial Arts" was its own thing and Rorion Gracie decided to organize a no-rules tournament for practitioners of all different martial arts styles to determine which one was the best?

It was called Ultimate Fighting Championship and a 6'1, 180 lb skinny Brazilian kid won the damn thing. Well, I was recently at a seminar with Royce Gracie himself, and he left us with one open question. The question was: If Jiu Jitsu doesn't have the answer, what does?

Meaning if you're attacked by someone so much bigger and stronger and more talented than you to the point that Jiu Jitsu doesn't save you, please explain what can. Boxing? Really? Kickboxing? Wrestling? Seriously. I know this point has been beaten to death all over the internet, but there's only a few martial arts that even train against full resistance (boxing, a few forms of kickboxing, judo, wrestling, and jiu-jitsu) and only one of those really gives a smaller guy a really good chance to survive an attack from a bigger, stronger opponent.

In modern times, it has its shortcomings (let's not get into the whole Brazilian Jiu Jitsu vs. Gracie Jiu Jitsu and sport-specific techniques arguments here, or how the rules change when the referee stands everyone up after 30 seconds on the ground/5 minute rounds, etc), but I have to ask you the same question Royce offered us the other weekend. Really. If not Jiu Jitsu, then what?
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Any martial art or no martial art. It is not the art that matters but the person using that art. If I am all fired up and determined to beat you with my kung fu then you had better be equally determined to beat me with your art or I am going to win. I dont care what your art is.

Comment

Grok-fu?
            The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
              Remember before "Mixed Martial Arts" was its own thing and Rorion Gracie decided to organize a no-rules tournament for practitioners of all different martial arts styles to determine which one was the best?

It was called Ultimate Fighting Championship and a 6'1, 180 lb skinny Brazilian kid won the damn thing. Well, I was recently at a seminar with Royce Gracie himself, and he left us with one open question. The question was: If Jiu Jitsu doesn't have the answer, what does?

Meaning if you're attacked by someone so much bigger and stronger and more talented than you to the point that Jiu Jitsu doesn't save you, please explain what can. Boxing? Really? Kickboxing? Wrestling? Seriously. I know this point has been beaten to death all over the internet, but there's only a few martial arts that even train against full resistance (boxing, a few forms of kickboxing, judo, wrestling, and jiu-jitsu) and only one of those really gives a smaller guy a really good chance to survive an attack from a bigger, stronger opponent.

In modern times, it has its shortcomings (let's not get into the whole Brazilian Jiu Jitsu vs. Gracie Jiu Jitsu and sport-specific techniques arguments here, or how the rules change when the referee stands everyone up after 30 seconds on the ground/5 minute rounds, etc), but I have to ask you the same question Royce offered us the other weekend. Really. If not Jiu Jitsu, then what?
              i'm with you on this one. from a stand-up perspective, a decent amount of muy thai training can be quite helpful, in terms of throwing proper punches and kicks, and learning how to block. but let's face it, life isn't a fight scene from a movie. your attacker might outweigh you by 75lbs, or be incredibly skilled due to lots of martial arts or boxing experience. JJ is the great equalizer. get that big guy on the ground and use his weight against him, maybe snap a few of his joints in the process. neutralize a talented striker's hands by dislocating his elbow. most people should have a little jj training. enough with the bogus women's self defense seminars, and lets teach them something that could actually help them in a life threatening situation. lets see, the rapist throws you down, and gets on top of you. throw him in a triangle, and choke him out using your powerful leg muscles

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                enough with the bogus women's self defense seminars, and lets teach them something that could actually help them in a life threatening situation.
                Amen.
                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by Calidris View Post
                  Any martial art or no martial art. It is not the art that matters but the person using that art. If I am all fired up and determined to beat you with my kung fu then you had better be equally determined to beat me with your art or I am going to win. I dont care what your art is.
                  Ridiculous claim. Reveals total ignorance on the topic at hand. Thanks for sharing.
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

How does Jiu-Jitsu handle concrete/asphalt? I'm curious about that because when you're sparring you can be aggressive with takedowns on a padded mat, but can you pull off the same thing outside on the street on asphalt, especially if the opponent is heavy?

Comment

BJJ is great to know, but severely lacking if that's all you know. ESPECIALLY against multiple attackers, and especially if they're armed with anything more than fists. Working someone into an arm bar isn't much good if his friends are stomping you at the same time.

BJJ is great, but don't make it your only tool. I prefer being very well trained with empty hands, edged weapons, and firearms.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

Comment

Word that was always my complaint against jiu-jitsu, at least how people practice it here and now; any fight I have ever been in has been in a public place surrounded by multiple opponents. I got no time to be rolling around in grappling holds, and would have just had bottles broken over my head and shit.

NJ hardcore east-coast moshing style wheeling hands and feet combined with primitive thumb gouging strikes hasn't failed me yet.

I'm with the Scottish guy that says that any art is good- any martial art's purpose is to just condition the muscle memory to connect snap-judgment sense-impressions (an incoming fist, for example) with practiced movements- if you are the type of person that freezes up, even for a heart-beat, in that kind of situation, and you are left processing, "Go to my training!!!" then in the breath that it takes to get your body set for that form, you are already having your jaw broken. Most fights that I have seen are over in the first second and the victor is obvious immediately by the face that he is making.
                        Last edited by Mr.Perfidy; 05-20-2013, 10:04 AM.
                        "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Comment

Originally posted by quikky View Post
                          How does Jiu-Jitsu handle concrete/asphalt? I'm curious about that because when you're sparring you can be aggressive with takedowns on a padded mat, but can you pull off the same thing outside on the street on asphalt, especially if the opponent is heavy?
                          as opposed to what, just standing there and getting the crap kicked out of you? a few scrapes on the knees, elbows, and back would be worth it if it meant my overall health and well being was protected

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                            BJJ is great to know, but severely lacking if that's all you know. ESPECIALLY against multiple attackers, and especially if they're armed with anything more than fists. Working someone into an arm bar isn't much good if his friends are stomping you at the same time.

BJJ is great, but don't make it your only tool. I prefer being very well trained with empty hands, edged weapons, and firearms.

Sent via A-10 Warthog
                            this is a valid point. however, lets not forget that life isn't a movie scene. you aren't going to chuck norris your way out of a mob of people no matter what you know. rule # 1- avoid the conflict. rule # 2- avoid the damn conflict. if it seems like you are going to get stomped by a crowd, get the f outta there. don't be a tough guy. if some dude and his buddies are starting shit, and you're all by yourself, let him "win" the verbal confrontation. let him be the big man. who really cares? you could have 15 years of martial arts experience, 5-6 guys are still going to kick your ass. and if they're armed with bats, tire irons, knives, etc, then you're screwed. one of my biggest problems with teaching anyone martial arts/boxing/etc is that they are lulled in to a false sense of security with it.

Comment

If those 5-6 guys are like, a biker gang, or a drug operation or something, then you should probably avoid them, but every physical confrontation that I have ever seen involving groups of men are really conflicts with 1 or 2 loud men in a group of spectactors who know how to display juuuuust enough aggression to say, after the fight, that they kicked someone's ass. They scatter when you identify and drop their inspirational leader type personalities.
                              "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Comment

Working...
                              X