Larabar saved me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larabar saved me

There has been some talk about endurance sports and primal eating. I put it to the test for me this weekend. To perpare for a 100 mile Mountain bike race in Sept., we planned a 60 mile mountain bike ride yesterday. We thought the trip would take about 4-5 hours. The night before I ate a larger meal, and for breakfast I had 4 eggs, and some bacon.

Well, at about mile 40, I bonked. I got super hungry, and the power went out of my legs. I had two cherry pie Larabars in my pockets. I ate one, and then another one thrity minutes later, and my energy came back. I learned the limit of how far I can go with just primal foods, without supplemental food on the bike. I have been doing 40-50 mile road rides with no issues. Between now and Sept., I will have to figure out an eating plan that will get me through the 11 hour, 100 mile ride.

Has anyone else tested their limits of primal food in thier acitivty?
    Merry Spinmas!!!
    http://stcva.blogspot.com/

While it's no where NEAR what you just did, I accidently fasted for 32 hours. I had planned to break the fast at 24, but got busy and suddenly my heart was beating out of my chest, I started sweating and wanted to run around and fight someone and scream and lay down and sleep all at the same time... and then realised that I was really. truly. HUNGRY!!! ha ha! Apparently my fasting ability is not 30+ hours!
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Comment

for decathlon events i can easily pack a cooler... but keeping the fats really high works great. also we should keep in mind that grok and science do mix. the traditional card loading the day before long events helps. our bodies on 'low' will burn fat most efficiently yes, but glycogen stores should still be optimized for that occasional hill or push. I tend to eat like a horse on sweet potatoes and squash the day before will keeping my fats and proteins that i would normally get in there. day of event (i run tri's as well) i stay away from carbs like the devil (normallly early morning starts right) bc insulin spike would kill me post/mid swim. anyhow having huge breakfasts helps alot! remember the old disney tune that Gaston signs...
      "When I was a lad I ate four dozen eggs
      Ev'ry morning to help me get large
      And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs
      So I'm roughly the size of a barge"
      for performance we kinda have to throw the Caloric caps out the window, especially on competition days/long days. Calorie restriction only leads to performance restriction...

oh those larabars are like gold! i make some of my own almond meal and ground flax, some fig and ground nuts. om nom nom,

Comment

Where do you get the Larabar's???
        Rangers Lead the Way, Hooah!

Comment

I get them at Harris Teeter. They are available at most nicer grocery stores. They are available online also.
          Merry Spinmas!!!

Comment

Make your own--cheaper, fresher, you control the ingredients. Wrap in wax paper and you can even compost the wrapper.

http://enlightenedcooking.blogspot.c...rs-part-3.html

Comment

Those Larabars sounds reasonably healthy for a packaged product.

Comment

I've been eating a Larabar, plus a little Full Fat Fage and some strawberries the morning of my long runs (training for a marathon). This combination seems to work perfectly. I had been battling runner's diarrhea and stomach troubles when I ate Luna bars and a banana beforehand.

I have found Larabars at our local Sam's Club. They are 18 to a pack (I believe) and include Cherry Pie, Apple Pie and Cashew Cookie.

Comment

runner hersey sh!ts

i would prolly accuse the banana before the larabars. often a high dose of potasium can upset the digestive tract when eaten right before a high intensity or prolonged exertion session

Comment

last summer i was competitive in cycling and logged around 100k training every day. i ate the same way i eat now, maybe had more salads than now but not really... most of my training was still done fasted. BUT - i had been eating like this -PB, VLC mostly carnivore for YEARS- so im ketoadapted through and through. I never, not once, had to rely on a carb source. It can be done.
                    challenge yourself
                    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by simplyryde View Post
                      There has been some talk about endurance sports and primal eating. I put it to the test for me this weekend. To perpare for a 100 mile Mountain bike race in Sept., we planned a 60 mile mountain bike ride yesterday. We thought the trip would take about 4-5 hours. The night before I ate a larger meal, and for breakfast I had 4 eggs, and some bacon.

Well, at about mile 40, I bonked. I got super hungry, and the power went out of my legs. I had two cherry pie Larabars in my pockets. I ate one, and then another one thrity minutes later, and my energy came back. I learned the limit of how far I can go with just primal foods, without supplemental food on the bike. I have been doing 40-50 mile road rides with no issues. Between now and Sept., I will have to figure out an eating plan that will get me through the 11 hour, 100 mile ride.

Has anyone else tested their limits of primal food in thier acitivty?
                      Hey simplyryde! I did a 40 miler on Sunday. I ate a snack at miles 15 and 30 after a small breakfast and only cheese and olives for dinner the night before. I'd say just keep playing with it. For me, it's key to eat and drink every 60 - 90 minutes otherwise I lose it. But I think it really depends person to person.

Comment

We rode 14 miles up and down some rugged mountains this past sunday, lots of mud, rocks, and roots. Not as far as your race but its knarly ridin' and I am wiped after the 3 hr ride. As another poster indicated I find I do best with a big breakfast of egg omelette, bacon, and kefir smoothie. I too carry a larabar just in case but have been using pemmican and sometimes coconut macaroons. In the winter or late fall I use the primal bar recipe on this site, right now too warm and it melts.
                        You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Comment

Originally posted by simplyryde View Post
                          Well, at about mile 40, I bonked. I got super hungry, and the power went out of my legs. I had two cherry pie Larabars in my pockets. I ate one, and then another one thrity minutes later, and my energy came back. I learned the limit of how far I can go with just primal foods, without supplemental food on the bike.
                          What was your regular carb intake prior of this?

I do performance biking on ketosis... Never bonk, never cramp, have most energy (and am the faster) of the group. This is going on while I'm under 10g of carbs a day, those 10 being things that I cant get rid of... sugar in eggs, carbs in celery and salads, etc...

Comment

My normal carb intake is between 20-50 grams a day. I have had better energy since eating a more primal diet. On most rides >2, I don't have any issues. I just find that for a longer ride I need to eat during the event. Also the Larabar is a really nice treat during some suffering.
                            Merry Spinmas!!!

Comment

there isnt much point depending on "treats" for an endurance event... you would do your endocrine system a favour by just letting your body do its job.
                              challenge yourself
                              i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X