Triathlon Training

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triathlon Training

I am participating in my first triathlon in a little over a month (5/31) and I am just wondering about my training protocol. I am not concerned with the run (5k) but I am not a strong swimmer and barely ride a bike. The swim is only 400m and the bike ride is 10k. What should my training schedule look like? Should I bike, swim and run all in one day? Or should I break it down and do one a day? I have no idea where to start! Actually I figured I could start here and would be the better for it!

Since I follow the pb style of eating I was wondering how my nutritional approach is going to change? I am obviously going to need more fuel. I currently lift heavy around 2-3 days a week and sprint another day. I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks and I look forward to the advice.

Take a look at these:
    http://beginnertriathlete.com/discus...ype=2&level=-1

Take what you see in those and make it work for you. I wouldn't change much about the way you're eating. I haven't noticed any loss of energy since eliminating hundreds and hundreds of carbs per day from my diet. I would say "just eat a few more carbs a day or two out from a race or big workout", but it's a sprint tri, and you won't actually need that much fuel.
    --

I'm back

Comment

I'll read through the link and adjust accordingly. Thanks for leading me in the right direction.

Comment

Get in the pool!

I did my first triathlon about five years ago; a sprint distance and thought the same thing about the swim. It was horrible, being in the water with 400 other people and having not trained appropriately the swim ruined my entire race!

After that I joined a masters swim program and the difference was night and day.

Don't get me wrong, I am a slow ass Clydesdale just doing it for fun but the swim can make or break your entire race experience!

I was doing olympic distance the last few years until blowing my knee out playing basketball and gaining 50 pounds, but I'm back on track, got my knee reconstructed and got back in the pool. I should be running by the end of the summer!

Good luck with your first event!
        Rangers Lead the Way, Hooah!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dave View Post
          Get in the pool!

I did my first triathlon about five years ago; a sprint distance and thought the same thing about the swim. It was horrible, being in the water with 400 other people and having not trained appropriately the swim ruined my entire race!

After that I joined a masters swim program and the difference was night and day.

Don't get me wrong, I am a slow ass Clydesdale just doing it for fun but the swim can make or break your entire race experience!

I was doing olympic distance the last few years until blowing my knee out playing basketball and gaining 50 pounds, but I'm back on track, got my knee reconstructed and got back in the pool. I should be running by the end of the summer!

Good luck with your first event!
          I second this 100%. In my experience, the best triathletes are the strongest swimmers. I'd also get on a bike if you haven't already. Not sure what kind of bike you'll be using but you might start with a spin class.

Comment

I consider myself in pretty good shape and I have to say that I was sucking wind pretty badly when I went swimming this weekend. It has me doubting whether or not I am putting myself in danger swimming in a lake! I guess there's "in good shape" and "in swimming shape." Oh well it's a challenge too overcome!

Comment

Swimming is much more technique than fitness in my opinion. If you are already in good shape then get the technique and it will all fall in place!
              Rangers Lead the Way, Hooah!

Comment

Good advice. Since may 31st is coming up pretty quickly I am looking for any swim technique book or videos I can find.

Comment

Definitely do at least 2 brick training sessions before the race, with the last one about a week before it. A brick is when you immediately follow one sport with another; it can be bike run, swim bike, swim run, etc. These will help you adapt to the diff't muscles being used and it won't be such a shock on race morning. They call it a "brick" for a reason. That's what your legs will feel like.

Comment

do you mind if I butt in on your tri thread? Didn't really want to start another since there's only a few of us here.

I started doing tris in 1999, haven't raced since 2007. Injuries and weight gain = no training. So I'm looking at a HIM in mid September, haven't signed up for it yet tho. Don't even know if I can run yet so that's sort of the deciding factor.

Swam today, will cycle tomorrow if I can get out before it rains.
                    Female, 53 y.o. 195 lbs 2/15, 148 lbs 02/16. Goal wt < 140 lbs.
                    Journal link: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread115661.html
                    http://paleotrack.com/j/GtjBV4YJ

Comment

Beginner Triathlete is the best place to find training plans and to log your training (the training logs are free and amazing). I have a book to suggest as well: Breakthrough Triathlon Training. Written by Brad Kearns, who wrote a guest post here on MDA and was coached my Mark. It's the best triathlon training book I have EVER read, and I have read a LOT.

Comment

I'm going to butt in on teh thread too and offer some advice.

I just finished my first ever triathlon (and I'm on such an adrenalin buzz!!)..just the sprint distance (750m swim, 20k cycle, 5 km run). Did it in 1:23:53, which I'm thrilled with, as 9 months ago I couldn't even run up a flight of stairs, without feeling like I was going to die!!

I'd suggest swim and run one day, then swim and cycle, then cycle and run - alternate like that and try to get a few full practises in before the real thing.

and of course eat a good paleo brekkie!! (i had steak and nut bread!! yum yum) ... I just wish everyone would go paleo!

Comment

Bacon - Listen to your body and do what you can, but going from no training to HIM in 4 months is VERY aggressive. Each event by itself would be a serious under taking in 4 months. Add them together and you might be risking serious injury. You might be better served saving the HIM to next season and looking for a challenging sprint or oly for this fall.

Comment

eh...I've done it before and been ok. I manage to stay pretty fit even without the S/B/R and gaining a few pounds. That being said, the date doesn't work for me
                            Female, 53 y.o. 195 lbs 2/15, 148 lbs 02/16. Goal wt < 140 lbs.
                            Journal link: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread115661.html
                            http://paleotrack.com/j/GtjBV4YJ

Comment

Regarding swimming, if you train in a pool, but will be racing in a lake, get a couple of practice lake swims in. It is very different to be in a lake vs. a pool. Also, if you are going to wear a wetsuit, do your lake practice swims wearing that also. (And practice getting out of the wetsuit -- it's not so easy when you're exhausting from the swim and anxious to get on the bike.)

Comment

Working...
                              X