Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I really have to give up the activities I love??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I really have to give up the activities I love??

Prior to PB, and in an effort to drop the 10-12 lbs I've gained over the last year or so, I can admit I was a chronic cardio/CW fool. I ate within my metabolic restrictions, I kickboxed 5x a week, ran/walked 3.5-4.5 miles 3-5 times a week and played 2s sand vball on weekends. I was definitely tired.

I started PB last week and recognized I would have to change-up my workouts. I decided I would drop kickboxing to 1-3 times a week, skip the running and just take a long walk 5-7 x a week, and then have my usual weekend volleyball (anywhere from 0-9 games over two days, or 7-10 games in one day if there's a tournament) - depends on availability of the other players.

I keep hearing that even this routine is "chronic cardio" and that I have to stop it. The problem is, there are things I really like. For example, the kickboxing is not all 80% intensity and up. Sometimes it is full out bursts of kicking/punching/elbowing, but much of it is also squats, lunges, pushups, crunches, weighted exercises and punching/kicking slowly but for power. My endurance and muscle tone got much better with this class.

Similary with the volleyball, the tournaments can last for 8 hours in Arizona heat but are only 10 games at most with 30 minute breaks (or longer) in between. The points are sporadic in terms of length and intensity, and there is a lot of jumping, squatting and lunging involved, along with short bursts of sprinting.

When I look at this stuff individually it seems to still fit within Marks' plan and are things I really enjoy (and great stress relievers). That said, I really don't want to mess up whatever good I am doing on the diet by over-exercising, nor do I want to add in grain-based carbs to fuel my workouts for energy.

I would love your thoughts as I am feeling a bit sad.
    "If you won't be better tomorrow than you are today, what do you need tomorrow for?"

If you don't show signs of over-training, keep on doing what you love. Our bodies usually tell us when they have had enough and need a break. Listen for those clues and respect the need to rest. And so, serve it up and keep kickin'!
    All just my opinion ~ there's quite a few people on here that are endurance athletes so you have some company in this arena.

Comment

NO!

Primalize the activities up a bit, but I wouldn't give them up. Never give up your favorite type of exercise. That means maybe reduce kickboxing like you did, but still do it, instead of chronically running you can do sprints or even moderate intensity interval training, which means switching periods of running with walking, versus sprinting and rest. Volleyball continue to do if you love it, maybe not as much but don't give it up.

If you're giving up what you love for primal, you're not doing primal. The whole point is to make life better.
      sigpic
      In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

Absolutely not. It's all "play" if you love doing it!

Comment

PrimalEagle, I know how you feel. When I first started PB I was shocked at the idea of curbing my daily runs. However, I ended up accidentally doing just that, simply by mixing in lots of other primal exercises into my routine. I do still enjoy a good 5-miler now and then.

My own rule of thumb for intense exercise -- as long as you're fully recovered the next morning, no problem!

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy View Post
            My own rule of thumb for intense exercise -- as long as you're fully recovered the next morning, no problem!
            Truth.

Comment

It sounds like pretty much all the exercise you talk about there would fit well into the primal lifestyle in moderation. Mark himself mentions playing Ultimate on the weekends, snow boarding, and paddle surfing. Even running might not be too bad for you either if you're in great shape as long as you're not going for very long distances. Going for a few mile jog when you're in shape about the same impact as someone walking who is not in the same condition.
              http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Sounds like a great routine!
                Rangers Lead the Way, Hooah!

Comment

No.

Comment

NO WAY! your activities sound way more 'primal' than mine..I run ultras and bike long distance and I am not giving that up! some people may say, well thats like saying you love Coke and wont give that up and hurting yourself, that this is the same thing. I say, no way.
                    What I have done besides diet overhaul was add more intensity to some runs and also add weights 1x or 2x a week. I still run sometimes over 50 mpw as I love it. Your activities sounds perfect for this plan.

Comment

Nah. You're fine. Not everyone's body can handle that but if you're going strong with no recovery issues then keep it up.
                      Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Comment

I think th PB is all about the kind of activities your talking about, and being able to do them into your 80's and 90's......

Comment

Thanks so much. You all have made me feel SO much better. As I said, while I love the activities I am currently doing, I also don't want to mess up the hard work and headway I'm making with my nutrition with the wrong exercises.

While I'm not in the shape I used to be in (1.5 years of random injuries -- broken leg, broken wrist) even my pre-PB routine was much less than I used to do (used to box 3 x a week, personal trainer twice a week, and 15-30 games of indoor and outdoor vball a week).

I thought my plan was a good compromise because the kickboxing seemed to incorporate so many of the elements Mark mentions (body resistance, strength, sprints), albiet for 50 minutes. I'm reluctant at this point to add in true strength training as I am one of those rare women who put on muscle VERY easily (have had up to 141 lbs of LBM at 5'9") and was hoping kickboxing could be the strength, and possibly sprint, components. I had no problem giving up the runs as I only did them for a CW-mindset calorie burn. I would have no problem giving up my daily 3 mile walk but that's the only thing I do that Mark obviously recommends so I will keep it.
                          "If you won't be better tomorrow than you are today, what do you need tomorrow for?"

Comment

My only other question is, for those of you who do endurance sports, do you follow the "PB for athletes" mentality and add in complex carbs pre or post activity? I had a vball tourney this past weekend and had some energy issues and some immediate weight gain from adding in extra trail mix/dried fruit and bananas, which I only added for some energy help and to ward off cramps. I don't want to have to add in grain-based carbs if I don't have to. I'm hoping that once I'm a few weeks in I should be able to get through tournaments without adding in other carbs and am wondering what your experiences were. Maybe I should make those primal energy bars/balls.

Comment

I am so glad I stumbled onto this thread. I was having the same thoughts questions. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X