No announcement yet.

What do you eat post work out?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that the small differences studies show may be less important that individual differences. Find out what works for you.

I'm on a diet site where people are always complaining in the forum about not losing weight. They do a big shake before and/or after their chronic cardio, adjust their calorie allotment up to compensate for all the calories they supposedly burned, then wonder why they are plateauing.

Comment

A scoop of whey protein powder immediately after lifting.
      There's been many research which conclude that ingesting fast digesting protein will repair muscles quicker which will result in less soreness.

Comment

I have 2 scoops of whey during the workout (resistance train about 4-5 days a week) with maybe 3-4 dates as well?
        Shower.
        Eat a huge meal for dinner - could be anything, but is always a meat/fish/eggs and some green vegetables.

I try eating carbs like sweet potatoes, but it's not for me. I don't like them enough to eat them that often. And I used to be very high carb in the past (pre-paleo) and never had any issues with the carbs (was very low BF all my life pretty much). However, if I am eating carbs, it's always in the evening after work/workout as it's most convenient for me.

That all said, I am toying with the idea of making my own "mass gainer" shake. Would essentially be 50 grams of whey, 50 grams of non-GMO waxy maize, and 2 TBSP of MCT oil, and I would be consuming two of these shakes a day.

Should be interesting...

Comment

Depends on the time of day and how I feel.

If it's after Uni, ie, later in the day, I eat a PWO equivalent to a pound of meat, kilo of potatoes (or cup of white rice), sprinkle of cheese, 125g (half a carton) of cottage cheese, half an avocado, an assortment (roughly 500g) of mixed, diced vegetables and salsa.
          If it's earlier in the day, like today for example, PWO is a bar of chocolate with my coffee. Like any other day.

Yeah, I don't take PWO meals all to seriously. Largest overblown part of the fitness community, IMO.
          Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
          https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
          MFP Food Diary:
          http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
          (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

Originally posted by MouthDR View Post

That all said, I am toying with the idea of making my own "mass gainer" shake. Would essentially be 50 grams of whey, 50 grams of non-GMO waxy maize, and 2 TBSP of MCT oil, and I would be consuming two of these shakes a day.

Should be interesting...
            Hmmm, do you think it is optimal to put something like fat in a post-workout shake, since this will delay the absorbtion of protein and carbs? When I eat lots of carbs AND fat in the night after a workout I get pretty poor recovery in the morning after, probably because the fat delays the absobtion of the other nutrients. This does not happen if I eat high carbs and low fat or high fat and low carbs, but something bad happens when I take in both high carbs AND high fat post-workout. It may be that the total calorie load get to high as well, most likely in a combination with a delay of the absorbion of nutrients due to fat...
            "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

meat!!!

Comment

Post Workout Paleo Pudding- Terry Shanahan
                * I blend mine though and take it to the gym with me in a shaker cup
                Post Workout Paleo Pudding- Terry Shanahan - YouTube

I take it immediately after working out during the drive home.
                If I don't have the shake I take a bowl of blackberries drizzled with clover honey and eat those and drink a whey protein shake with no carbs.
                Last edited by raptoryell; 04-02-2013, 10:55 AM.
                Primal (2013)
                Locavore (locally grown foods when possible)
                Training consists of Muay Thai, BJJ, weight training, and mountain biking

Would like to be in good shape by my 36th Birthday (07-07-2013)

Comment

My new favorite post workout snack is low fat cottage cheese, sweet potato baby food, a little raw honey and lots of pumpkin pie spice all mixed together. Sounds gross but it's awesome.

Comment

Whatever the meat that day is, alongside round 500g sweet potato and 250g of squash and various other things.
                    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

Comment

Usually a mason jar of bone broth and spinach...
                      Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Comment

My post/wo meal is one of my three meals, i.e if i train fasted before breakfast then breakfast will be my PWO meal, and so on.

Comment

depends ... but after a heavy and intense work-out, I eat sushis (low fat, high "good" carbs) or quinoa / sweet potatoes with lean meats. If it is a low to medium intensity WO, I keep eating very low carb - high fat and respect my one meal a day schedule.

Comment

Have a black coffee first thing in the morning then hit the gym on an empty stomach. Walk about a mile to the gym, work hard for 30-60 minutes, shower up and walk home. Then I'll eat either a steak and 4 eggs, can of sockeye salmon mixed with onion and veganaise (organic mayo with no soy, no dairy) or a veg stir fry sauted and mixed with 6 scrambled eggs and a couple pieces of bacon. Always cook with coconut oil and have a whole avocado almost everyday as well. If its an intermittent fast day I will start my workout around 11:30 am otherwise I workout and eat first thing in the morning.
                            Last edited by canuck416; 04-21-2013, 09:15 AM.
                            Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

Comment

Upon the advice of my cf coach I wait at least 60-90 mins after fasted training because I have fat to lose. I eat meat, eggs & sweet potatoes after cf and skip the potatoes after running/hiking. My lean husband typically eats same but within 30 mins of workout.

Comment

AlphaChick have you checked out Crossfitters eat to perform on Facebook? Or Eat To Perform It has helped me a ton. I have learned so much about my body and fueling it/ supporting metabolic flexibility. It's worth a look.

Comment

Working...
                                X