Carb load

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb load

I've been told lately that I need to up my carbs in order to gain strength. Problem is, I try to maintain under 100g of carbs, as per Marks advice.

I've heard people on this forum talk about carb loading sometimes to gain strength. Can someone explain how this would work in relation to the primal diet?

For the record, I was benching 45+25 for the longest time and couldnt go any higher. I went on a family vacation and absolutley destroyed my primal diet, I think I ate pizza 5 days in a row. Anyway, when I cam home I added weight each workout (2.5 at a time) and am now benching 45+45+2.5. Not sure if this is just a coincidence, hopefully it is because I like the health benifits of eating low carb. Insuline control ect...

Originally posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    I've been told lately that I need to up my carbs in order to gain strength. Problem is, I try to maintain under 100g of carbs, as per Marks advice.

I've heard people on this forum talk about carb loading sometimes to gain strength. Can someone explain how this would work in relation to the primal diet?

For the record, I was benching 45+25 for the longest time and couldnt go any higher. I went on a family vacation and absolutley destroyed my primal diet, I think I ate pizza 5 days in a row. Anyway, when I cam home I added weight each workout (2.5 at a time) and am now benching 45+45+2.5. Not sure if this is just a coincidence, hopefully it is because I like the health benifits of eating low carb. Insuline control ect...
    That doesn't surprise me. Starch is useful for gaining strength, as it supports building and maintaining muscle. Primal for inactive people is essentially a starch elimination diet because primal tells you to count fiber (wtf?) and fructose as carbs. It encourages people to completely eliminate an entire food group - starch.

The blanket label 'carbs' is about as useful as the blanket label 'fats'.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

You can carb load once every week or so with a go wild day if you want.

Whats most likely happening is you'r simply not eating enough to put on mass. I think I read that you are already fairly lean. Basically you gotta eat to grow. Essentially eat sufficient protein and an excess of calories. Don't care if it's fat or carbs (and neither does your body IMO). Increasing your carb intake just makes it easier to increase your calories. Lets face it, a big aspect of low carb keeping you lean is promoting satiety.

Comment

The <100g/day is a great recommendation for those trying to lose weight/fat. However if you're trying to gain weight, feel free to eat primal carbs. Sweet potatoes, white rice, and milk are my main choices.

I've found success with eating massive amounts of food, a scoop of rice with lunch and dinner, and lots of milk.

Even shorter version, if you aren't improving on your lifts, you're not eating enough.
        "Go For Broke"
        Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
        Small Kine-168/9%
        Now- 200/8%
        Goal- 210/6%

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderlust View Post
          Even shorter version, if you aren't improving on your lifts, you're not eating enough.
          The golden rule of lifting.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingofturtles View Post

I used to think you needed carbs for mass gain, strength, etc. You do not. I repeat. You do not need it.

You most likely just overfed during that break, and as such the increase in calories and energy helped in recovery, leading to increased strength. I would just up your calories and remain low carb and see how you go.

Comment

Give this article a read: Carb Refeeding and Weight Loss | Mark&#039;s Daily Apple
              >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
              >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
              >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

If you haven't rendered yourself insulin resistant through poor diet choices in the past, moderate safe starch is your friend. End of.
                F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
                  If you haven't rendered yourself insulin resistant through poor diet choices in the past, moderate safe starch is your friend. End of.
                  Really?

How has that worked for you?

Comment

Starchy foods are not useful for building muscle and starch is not a food group.

If you go paleo/primal - you no longer need to count calories, or worry about the micro/macro nutrient value of your meals. Simply eat the right KINDS of food and your body does the rest.

I think the confusion here is trying to eat paleo AND thinking you need to somehow manage your caloric intake. You only need to manage caloric intake (of any kind) if you're eating foods that are easily shunted to storage.

If you're really eating paleo - eat more and you'll develop more muscle if, in fact you are genetically capable of building more muscle. If not, then you can lift until the cows come home and it won't happen.

Please walk away with one simple underlying truth. STARCH WILL NOT BUILD MUSCLE.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Furst Dunaharm View Post

Please walk away with one simple underlying truth. STARCH WILL NOT BUILD MUSCLE.
                      I absolutely agree Starch will not directly build muscle, but doesn't starch provide cheap energy that can help you work out longer/harder so that you can build more muscle (with protien and fat).

This is a genuine question as I don't know, not some know-it-all, rhetorical statement. I used to be scared of carbs and still avoid simple and worthless ones on a day to day basis, but if you're really working out hard (not prancing around a gym, dicking with machines or doing a few sets of bench presses), it seems like carbs - even otherwise crappy ones from starch, could help. thoughts?

Comment

Almost all cheap carbs come from grains.

Their intake and the subsequent rise in blood sugar triggers a systemic inflammatory response along with the insulin shot your pancreas has to manage. So now your immiune system has to get involved and starts attacking your own cells. The phytates contained in the grains flood receptor cells which are designed to bind with minerals. As a result minerals are utilized at a lower rate. Unfortunately, minerals are required in the contraction/relaxation process of muscles. This leads to less effective contracture and even more importantly, less effective relaxation of those same muscles.

Don't get me started on the other 2 or 3 ways in which the dumb carbs try to kill us.

Need more energy - eat some fruit - not fruit juice. The fiber slows the uptake of the sugar and they contain an abundance of vitamins and minerals as opposed to the grains which are nearly barren on their best day.

When you're eating paleo/primal - you just need more calories. Not less. Paleo calories are your friend. and can be turned into whatever you need.

Comment

Originally posted by Jufgdy
                          How has that worked for you?
                          I was being serious. I've read paleo-bunny's stats in her signature and that doesn't sound like a higher carb recommendation is working.

I personally think that anyone who promotes a program or idea should very well being doing it themselves successfully.

Comment

Just to echo what a number of people have already said: you can't cut weight and gain muscle at the same time.

Comment

Ok, then - question
                              What carbs are Primally-accepted and can be used for those heavy-workout days for the "refeed" phase ?
                              Keep it Protein + Fats + low-carb just won't do it....

Currently on LeanGains IF - so it really matters WHAT i eat during the workout days....
                              Rest days are totally primal, no problem - but the other days need around 150-200grams / carbs intake
                              "...Primal or not primal - that is the question!"

------------------------------------
                              Starting weight 85kg, 22% bodyfat (December 2012)
                              Current weight 78kg, 15% bodyfat (March 2013)
                              Desired weight 83-84kg , 7-8% bodyfat (May 2014 or sooner)

Comment

Working...
                              X