Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Strength Sports Thread

Hey all!

I wanted to make a thread to specifically discuss strength sports and Primal living. This of course includes Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting (my sport!), Strongman and everything else related to lifting heavy stuff and throwing it around.

Post your routines, best lifts and discuss training methods!

I'll go first:

I train for Olympic weightlifting. I transitioned to training for it almost exclusively about a year and a half ago. I currently train 4-5 days per week. The 5th day (usually Saturday) is a fun day, usually just a snatch complex, deadlifts or pulls, and assorted GPP stuff. Right now I'm in the second week of the volume phase of a Dual Factor routine, squatting 4 days per week, snatches everyday, & cleans almost everyday, and a kettlebell exercise almost everyday.

and GO!
    Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

I've been using the olymipic/powerlifting lifts for my strength training... 2-3 days a week. Love it but it's tough.

Day 1 - Squats, Bench, Deadlifts, Standing overhead press
    Day 2 - Power cleans and press, Weighted dips, Weighted pullups
    Day 3 - same as day 1

Comment

I don't do any competitive lifting, but I use powerlifting movements in my workouts a lot. Squats, Deads, and Power Cleans. Haven't been doing power cleans for a couple weeks because every time I do them I get a horrible muscle spasm in one area of my back afterward.

Most recently did a descending ladder from 12 to 1 with 200 lb deadlifts and jump burpees for time. 13:00. Low back and legs felt that one for a couple days.

Comment

I must admit I don't really lift, but recently saw a documentary series on Polish Olympic Weightlifting Methods & Techniques from the 1970's (can be found on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZgig...eature=related the entire thing is around 100min). I was personally very intrigued with their methods of warmup exercises, but afaik parts 4-10 are mostly about lifting techniques etc (skipped them hehe). Might be worth a look I found it mentioned by Ross Enamait on his blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Get Primal View Post
          I don't do any competitive lifting, but I use powerlifting movements in my workouts a lot. Squats, Deads, and Power Cleans. Haven't been doing power cleans for a couple weeks because every time I do them I get a horrible muscle spasm in one area of my back afterward.

Most recently did a descending ladder from 12 to 1 with 200 lb deadlifts and jump burpees for time. 13:00. Low back and legs felt that one for a couple days.
          If you are getting spasms in your back, your form is off. Your back is either bending or you are trying to pull all the weight with your back. Where in your back do you get them?

Originally posted by Pandadude View Post
          I must admit I don't really lift, but recently saw a documentary series on Polish Olympic Weightlifting Methods & Techniques from the 1970's (can be found on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZgig...eature=related the entire thing is around 100min). I was personally very intrigued with their methods of warmup exercises, but afaik parts 4-10 are mostly about lifting techniques etc (skipped them hehe). Might be worth a look I found it mentioned by Ross Enamait on his blog.
          Awesome find! Will definitely watch when I get home. I would like to see how their training was then versus now as the sport has changed a lot, especially after the Press was dropped from competition. There are a bunch of training vids from the Polish national team highlighting training in 2008 or 2009 (maybe?). Anyway all the big boys are in them Szymon Kolecki, Marcin Dolega and others.
          Check out my blog!

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

Comment

The spasm is only the right side and it is the very bottom of the trapezius, down just below the shoulder blade. I figured it might have to do with form but odd that it is only one side. I thought I was really using my legs well to get the weight moving up but maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandadude View Post
              My former trainer was on the Polish Olympic weightlifting team in Seoul Olympics '88. His technique was amazing, i lifted so heavy for my size and never ever once got injured. I learned so much from him. I'm anxious to watch this video--thanks for the link.

Comment

The spasm is only the right side and it is the very bottom of the trapezius, down just below the shoulder blade. I figured it might have to do with form but odd that it is only one side. I thought I was really using my legs well to get the weight moving up but maybe not.
                You might be pulling with your arms and back, sort of like an upright-row type pull. Would have to see it to make a good judgement. If the bar is collapsing on your shoulders or your elbows aren't high enough causing strain in order to support it.

Originally posted by Lolly View Post
                My former trainer was on the Polish Olympic weightlifting team in Seoul Olympics '88. His technique was amazing, i lifted so heavy for my size and never ever once got injured. I learned so much from him. I'm anxious to watch this video--thanks for the link.
                That's awesome!! Where did you train at?
                Check out my blog!

Comment

Fury, the high elbows is definitely a problem for me. Not sure if that's what causes my problems but I know they're not high enough. Thanks for the ideas, I'll work on it!

Comment

Happy Easter all!!

No training today. Enjoying Easter with family, and a Peaches-n-Cream cupcake from the cupcake shop (my only vice..it was heavenly)
                    Check out my blog!

Comment

If you haven't had someone with experience coach you in olympic lifts (especially the power clean) it is far too easy to do it with poor form, which can lead to irreversible injuries. If you have had coaching/have experience, please disregard this. If you video taped your form and posted it to this forum, I'm sure people would be able to pinpoint the issue. It's far too easy to risk damage at heavier weights.

To all:
                      Let's get some primal strength people maxes going! If this is the official strength sports thread, it's got to have the friendly competition going

I don't specifically train for strength events, I train for college varsity sports, but here are my maxes (sorry they aren't all 1rm, I haven't done 1rm do to the potential for injury in awhile)
                      Squat: 285 (8rm 225)
                      DL: 3x305
                      Flat Bench: 240
                      Power Clean: 3x205

Comment

I follow Pavel's Power to the People (PTTP) routine, 2 sets of deadlifts followed by 2 sets of bench press.

I just finished a cycle and I've hit 270x5 for DL and 135x5 for BP, giving me a theoretical max of 310 and 155 respectively. I have been training since January so I consider these numbers pretty good for a beginner.

Comment

Been following Jim Wendler's 5-3-1 for more than a year now. I squat and deadlift over 600 and bench press over 400 pounds. I'm struggling to maintain these weights through my dramatic weight loss, it's rough.
                          I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Comment

Just stopped by real quick and saw this thread had been updated. I haven’t been posting very frequently as of late.
                            Ditto on finding a coach. That’s the best way to learn the lifts. I do not recommend in being self-taught like myself. I never had access to a coach when I had the money, and had access when I didn’t have the money. Irony right? But it took forever, and I’ve hurt myself a few more times than I should have along the way.
                            So for Maxes:
                            Weight: ~ 163
                            Snatch 200
                            Clean & Jerk 245
                            Clean 250
                            Split Jerk 250
                            Back Squat 295 (was 300, but I discarded my old maxes, especially since I weighed about 188 then)
                            Front Squat 270
                            Overhead Squat 190 for a few doubles; I don’t max on this and rarely do it
                            Deadlift 360 (most I have ever done, I stopped at 360 though I felt I could maybe have done 5-10 pounds more; I don’t deadlift often at all)

These are all I can think of. I don’t max on presses or anything else. I don’t max on snatch and clean pulls either. I think it’s a waste of energy and usually results in poor form, poor speed, and tends to start resembling a deadlift when the weights get heavier than reasonable in relation the snatch and clean.
                            Check out my blog!

Comment

I've been doing deadlifts, power cleans, hang cleans, bench press, and military press/standing overhead press as my main workout movements... I still haven't gotten back in to squatting as it was always my least favorite lift.

From what I've seen, in my time away from serious lifting most people have drifted do doing like 3 or less work sets of 5 or less reps for most movements - is that accurate? I'm still tweaking my routine and trying to maximize my strength gains, mostly to avoid getting frustrated with how weak I am

Comment

Working...
                              X