Official Strength Sports Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

double post
    Last edited by Feanor78; 05-03-2010, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Hey, thought this would be a good place to post a question. I am planning on competing in my first powerlifting competition at the end of January. I am fairly strong, I weigh 185, deadlift over 375, squat over 345, and bench somewhere in the neighborhood of 305. I am 5'4" on a good day so I am pretty stocky but I want to compete in a 175 pound max weight class and the lighter I can be by the 28th the better; lightest weight is the tie breaker. The competition is 3 attempts at each deadlift, bench and squat for a combined max total and right now I should be close to 1100 pounds but have been lacking a spotter to really push myself, the above numbers are also max attempts after 3 or 4 working sets in the 4-5 rep range.

Any tips that people can give me for dropping the excess fat and increasing strength simultaneously would be awesome. Also, for those that have competed before, am I strong enough to compete at that weight class. I am having a hard time finding information on this on the net. Its a competition on a military base so a vast majority of the guys will be non competitive lifters.

Comment

Originally posted by MprDoc View Post
        Any tips that people can give me for dropping the excess fat and increasing strength simultaneously would be awesome.
        Martin Berkhan of Leangains recommends reverse pyramid training for maintaining strength while in a caloric deficit. Basically warm-up, do your heaviest set for as many reps as you can (or want to do). Then drop the weight by 10% and do 1-2 more reps than your previous sets. Repeat this for 2-3 sets.

As for diet, if I was doing it, I would eat a large lowish fat, high carb meal post-workout and a pretty small higher fat meal afterward.

I've been doing 5/3/1 for about 8 months now. I weight about 165 and my best on DL is 405x3. I've also gotten 105x2 on weighted chins. I have been working on squats and overhead press, but my progress is slower and not as impressive.

Comment

Working...
        X