First Tough Mudder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Tough Mudder

I ran my first Tough Mudder this past weekend and I must say it may be my last. lol. I ate pretty strict Primal the week leading up to the event and rested for 3 days before. I used Mark's post on carb-ing up for the World's Toughest Mudder and I'd have to say it worked really well and I didn't start getting gassed until the last few miles of the race.

Our team of 12 completed it in roughly 3 hrs and 15 mins. I'm proud of all of them and myself. With very limited training I was able to keep up with some of the ones that had been training the hardest.

IMG_5972.jpg

Thanks Mark and the community.

PB
    Last edited by redlead3; 10-09-2012, 09:02 AM.

Well done redlead,

pretty fit looking bunch of people in your team so good job keeping up on limited training.

Cheers
    "Times fun when you are having Flies" Kermit the frog

Comment

awesome! i am 15 months out from my first!

Comment

Congrats! I'm hoping to sign up for TM when it visit TN next year. I've done plenty of the adventure 5k's so far in my life, so TM will be a nice chance to push my limits

Comment

I hate running - I am slow and its painful. However I would like to do this.

Looks like fun!

Comment

Congrats and welcome to the CLUB!!!! It is such an amazing day. The beer at the end was the best beer i have ever tasted!!

Comment

awesome! I am def in for the next one - I think in Melbourne - good job!

Comment

So cool and inspiring! Well done!

I heard about Tough Mudder some days ago, and I really want to participate as well. Perhaps in Scotland in August 2013
                ...The grass is always greener where you water it...

Lost 35 kilos and 121 centimetres since 25 May 2012
                My journal

Comment

Well done!

I ate pretty strict Primal the week leading up to the event and rested for 3 days before. I used Mark's post on carb-ing up for the World's Toughest Mudder and I'd have to say it worked really well and I didn't start getting gassed until the last few miles of the race.
                  I will be doing one myself in the UK next May so I'll probably follow a similar eating plan. I remember reading that post of Mark's so I had it in mind. Good to know that it worked for you.

BTW it looks like about half of your team have gloves on. Would you say that's advisable?

Comment

Originally posted by zilog View Post
                    Well done!

I will be doing one myself in the UK next May so I'll probably follow a similar eating plan. I remember reading that post of Mark's so I had it in mind. Good to know that it worked for you.

BTW it looks like about half of your team have gloves on. Would you say that's advisable?
                    I'm doing the one in May what training have you been doing

Comment

I've been running 2-3 times per week including a long trail run of approx 8-9 miles at the weekend. I'm going to gradually lengthen this to 12-13 miles, then when I'm comfortable with that I'll start throwing in obstacles every half mile/mile or so e.g. hill sprint repeats, tree climbing, log carrying, decline push ups on a bench, bear/commando crawls (I think these could be very handy as I hear there is a lot of crawling in the TM) etc

I lift weights already but am concentrating a lot now on deadlifts & pullups as I believe a lot of the obstacles will focus on upper-body strength.

My fitness is high generally as I ride my bike to work and back every day as well (16 miles) but I'm going to try to get super-fit by next May. I'm sure I'll enjoy the TM more if I am, plus it's given me a great goal to aim for. Will probably try to drop around 10-15 lbs as well which will get me down to around 10% BF.

Comment

Mudding that doesn't involve my Honda?

Nah.

AC

Comment

Congrats! I did the Spartan Beast Race with minimal running in my training. Just lots of squats and single leg strength work. Hill sprints proved to be most valuable.
                          SixStringStrength.com

Comment

Originally posted by zilog View Post
                            I've been running 2-3 times per week including a long trail run of approx 8-9 miles at the weekend. I'm going to gradually lengthen this to 12-13 miles, then when I'm comfortable with that I'll start throwing in obstacles every half mile/mile or so e.g. hill sprint repeats, tree climbing, log carrying, decline push ups on a bench, bear/commando crawls (I think these could be very handy as I hear there is a lot of crawling in the TM) etc

I lift weights already but am concentrating a lot now on deadlifts & pullups as I believe a lot of the obstacles will focus on upper-body strength.

My fitness is high generally as I ride my bike to work and back every day as well (16 miles) but I'm going to try to get super-fit by next May. I'm sure I'll enjoy the TM more if I am, plus it's given me a great goal to aim for. Will probably try to drop around 10-15 lbs as well which will get me down to around 10% BF.
                            Cool sounds like a good plan.
                            I think i need to start doing them commando crawls i've done them before and i hated them.

Comment

Congrats and welcome to the club! For what it's worth for those looking to do one, I have run two so far. I did one in Canada in June and had been doing Crossfit three or four times a week and walking five times a week for an hour for four months. I continued the same workout plan into the last one I did back in October. I outran all but one of the "runners" on my team and had more endurance than the guys that mainly stuck to lifting at the gym. I was kind of the happy medium of my group.

I was eating pretty strict primal leading into my first and not as strict into my second and I definitely felt a difference for the worse.

Do one and you'll get addicted!
                              ~All luck is earned in the end.~

Comment

Working...
                              X