No announcement yet.

Putting weight on with the primal diet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have put on 3 lbs so far on PB, but my BF% has gone down, which is not what I am trying to do as I do not get a period currently so and very interested in this thread. I don’t eat a ketogenic diet because I thought raising my carbs would help with BF% as long as they are PB carbs. Maybe I should load up on more protein? I have plenty-to-a-ton of fat already included. Cant do dairy because it breaks me out besides butter, cream, and sour cream and also causes lots-a-constipation lol. I started at a 16% BF and as of this morning the scale said 14.8 but my weight has gone up…. I don’t exercise so I am not sure how this happened but I know I need a higher BF% to get a period…

Get on my Level
    http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

MalPaz - if you are using one of those digital scales that supposedly calculate your body fat, they are useless. Pretty much all they do is estimate based on your BMI or how fat the bottom of your feet are (!). FWIW they usually tell me I have 12%-14% body fat (as I have a very low BMI) - I have been properly measured at around 19%, and I've never missed a period.

Ask your doctor, or someone else who has been trained, to calculate your body fat with calipers, or perhaps weigh you hydrostatically.

Also, how much do you work out? If you are trying to get your hormones to balance I would be very moderate. I can't count how many runners I have known with normal amount of fat who have lost their periods. Eating and exercise are more often the causes of amenorrhea than actual body fat percentage - anorexics usually maintain normal or even high body fat percentages down to incredibly low weights. When your body is strained for whatever reason, it tends to sacrifice/slow reproductive function and other non-essentials (digestion, body temp) first, then start eating muscle. Body fat is so essential, especially under exreme conditions, that it's the last thing to go if you in many cases (see the many skinny-fat high-carb dieters).

Comment

Hey y'all,

I am a female and trainers before have told me I am the ultimate 'hard gainer' - I must be a ball of testosterone-less oestrogen because bf analysers (I work at a nutritional science centre) always told me that I had a ridiculously small amount of lean tissue given my lifestyle. Hence no visible definition despite low (18%) bf.

Anyway, since primal I have packed on the muscle. Seriously. To the point where I am slightly uncomfortable with my size (and because of my job I know that I have actually lost fat... so it is not that). I am used to be super skinny and now I look toned (and healthy). I have VLC (~25g a day) as this works best for me (I cannot eat any fruit), so moral of the story is: you can indeed put on weight (3 lbs for me, which is a lot given I weighed 117 to start), and it can be muscle, and you don't need carbs.

Good luck!

Lxxx

Comment

You can but you'll need to add supplements. I lost 12 lbs in the first month and have put on 5 since and have 5-10 more to go. I eat a lot of veggies but now I eat tons of hormone free, antibiotic free meat. Buffalo, Cow, Tuna, Salmon, Tilapia, nuts, etc. I eat very high protein/fat diet and workout mostly lifting heavy things and doing the occasional sprint. It's possible but you need ot increase protein and fat (good fat) intake. I hate protein shakes but to reach my goal I have opened up to them.
          Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Comment

yeah, so i realized that I must have been eating half the protein a day that I should have, So I bought a big tub of protein powder and now take it at least 3 times a day and have already noticed a difference!

ps:I know the powder's not primal but I'm a poor college student, can't afford quality meat for more than 1 meal a day

Comment

One thing to remember with this philosophy is that we combine our ancestrial diet with modern technology. No one can eat like Grok did no matter how hard we try. The plants and animals are different due to environmental conditions. As much as I would love todo it, it's just not possible so we have blend the best of today with the tried and true dietary habits of our ancestors.

Protein shakes are good but don't let that be only the protein source you get. While it is good to add supplements the bulk should come from natural proteins. The body can digest these easier and with less side effects.
              Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. PK View Post

ps:I know the powder's not primal but I'm a poor college student, can't afford quality meat for more than 1 meal a day
                Meat is cheaper than protein powder. Think canned fish, ground beef, eggs. It's a lot cheaper and healthier than any powdered stuff.

Comment

Here is my advice to all the hardgainers... I used to be one and train alot of them to great success.

Firstly throw out your mens health magazines. stop doing bicep curls and for the love of god dont go for a run/bike/swim or whatever cardio you may enjoy. BAD KITTEN!

second step to be a LION! lift heavy! search up starting strength by mark rippetoe. you have a window here as a novice (all tiny guys are, dont try to argue) to gain a lot of strength and weight. do that program religiously. dont miss a single workout and continue with regular (each workout) small incremental increases in the weights used. google him, hes got a SS page and a wikia page for his program.

Third. prepare to be skinny/fat for a bit. those pretty abs will dissapear, but you are going to get large strong muscles! when you go back to your high intensity crossfit style workouts all this will dissapear faster then a fat guacamole devils on my kitchen table! muscle burns fat, you get more muscle and that fat will go byebye

LASTLY! go 90% primal... its called GOMAD... its easy... drink a gallon.. 3.7 litres, of WHOLE/HOMOGINIZED milk a day every day. this is wildly unhealthy, but for growth its perfect. it wont be a lifestyle thing. this is for the 2-3 months that you continue to get linear gains. when linear gains stop you stop and start eating PURE again. Pure primal and getting big is HARD and expensive... a gallon of whole milk gives you 2400 cals, 135 fat, 175 carbs, 120 protein... and its cheap. try gettin that much for 5 buncks out of pure food.

Monday
                  3x5 Squat
                  3x5 Bench press / Press (Alternating)
                  Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Wednesday
                  3x5 Squat
                  3x5 Press / Bench Press (Alternating)
                  1x5 Deadlift

Friday
                  3x5 Squat
                  3x5 Bench Press / Press (Alternating)
                  Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps
                  is marks progrma you follow... no more no less.

do GOMAD... trust... just trust... its evidence based research here.. just like the PB / paleo lifestyle. "science" says its wrong and CW definately hates us, BUT we see results.. even better we FEEL the results. dont dip your toe in, if your serious about gaining dive in the pool.

I went from 6'6 at 185# at 6% body fat to 254# and 15% body fat (not noticeable fat either, was still ripped). in 4 weeks after i was 230# at 10% body fat. do GOMAD!

Comment

my gain took 3 months of linear progression. my gains stopped then i went to full on primal and crossfit

Comment

Can anyone recommned a powder "Weight gainer" that is primal, or close to being primal. I need extra calories too.

Comment

Yes, see above....GOMAD is legit. Eat more and move less. It takes time too...or it did for me. I was 6'4" and 140lbs in high school...took 3 years but I got to 225 without gaining much fat.

Originally posted by Maine Moxie View Post
                        Can anyone recommned a powder "Weight gainer" that is primal, or close to being primal. I need extra calories too.

Comment

Working...
                        X