Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I FINALLY had a decent half marathon running on FAT!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Congrats SSN on the marathon finish. I am petrified of my marathon! A BQ runner I know did the same race last year that I'm doing this year and she told me to bring my mental A-game. She said it was cold and windy!

My 20 went pretty well. It sucked at the time, but looking back it wasn't so bad. It was breezy and a bit chilly, but it was ok. I was in and out of my gloves the whole time b/c the wind along the river was biting into my hands. I completed it in 4:29. I figure that puts me at about 5:15 or so for the marathon. Respectable as far as I'm concerned.
    Good advice for bringing the mental A game.... The marathon was the hardest thing I have ever done... mentally tough to keep going when you feel like you are running with a Kenmore on your back (hit me at about 15 miles). My youngest son was riding his bike next to me for about half of the race. The 4 mile section that he could not ride by me (miles 19-23) were the hardest to run, and the ones where I wanted to quit the most. Knowing he was waiting for me on the other side of that section of the road was really the only thing that kept me going. Hell, I can't quit, not in front of my youngest... Then I got to 23 and it dawned on me... I have less than a Marine Corps PFT to go... lets get this done...

Yes, bring you mental armor. It will serve you well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hispanicgamer View Post
      Hey stranger (relaygirl),

Sorry to hear about your toe but it doesn't really seem to hold you back! I'll take your advice about the cherries but wouldn't stretching out your hip flexors help reduce your pain and inflammation? I'm guessing it has something to do with eating cherries.

SSN and Jenn,

Nice job and did you do it in ketosis? The reason why I ask is that I had to go back to adding some carbs into my pre-run meal. I know several of you have poo-pooed my use of an HR but I was becoming more and more exhausted while running. At first, I thought I was anemic (had a physical and RBC was low also do a search and you'll find my posts) but would see better running when I had eaten half a yam the night before. This theory progressed to the point where I do BP coffee in the morning with a small banana, eat a piece of fruit before my run, and finish the day with at least a half of a yam. My HR is now back to where it used to be before going whole hog on ketosis. I think what happened to me was that I didn't allow enough time to adapt to ketosis. My next experiment will be to do a slow weaning off of the banana with my coffee (get full fat burning in the morning), and then decrease the amount of fruit prior to my run. One good thing is that my weight has not gone up, which I thought would happen.

Looks like everyone is doing great and I can't wait for June 1, when I will run the San Diego Rock and Roll Half.
      This was my first marathon, and like a dumb rookie, I used it as an excuse to eat just about anything I wanted.. so for the 2 weeks prior, I was eating anything.... bagels, cookies, biscotti, oatmeal... 2 or 3 days before the marathon, I got a little smarter and went back to eating more like I normally do. The night before I had a nice thick boneless pork chop, and salad. The morning of, I ate a sweet potato,@ 8 oz of yogurt, a banana, and a bagel and a large cup of coffee with cream. I had packed some dates and salt caps for use during the race, and I ate 2 dates at 4.5 miles, 2 at 9, 3 at 12, and at that point my belly was feeling bloated and I found it hard to drink water so I quit eating them. I drank 2 cups of water at every water stop, granted they were 4 oz cups and most were about 1/2 full, but towards then end of the race, I found it hard to drink it, even though I needed it. Gatoraide was offered, but I didn't drink it...

I am in a 5K on 3/28 and in a 1/2 marathon in mid-May.... Maybe I will go into the 1/2 a little wiser...

Comment

• Hey y'all--I am rolling. I hate it cuz it hurts but I am rolling.

If I drink in a race I only have a sip at water spots-the water will start to sit in your stomach and you will feel sloshy. Trust that you are hydrated by drinking plenty in the weeks before the race!

I love the Hoka's--I'm wearing them to walk and hike too. I have a trail race next week so I will see how they do there.

Comment

• Since we talk all things running here, here is my race report: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1464882
          Primal since March 5, 2012
          SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Awesome! Congrats on your finishing! Great time too!

Comment

• Way to go, Jenn!

I did the Lake Lowell Half Marathon this past Sunday. It was a good race for me and I felt strong throughout. I've been loosely following the Perfect Health Diet and it seems to work very well for me.

Report: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82833-8.html
              My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82833.html

Comment

• I'm loosely following PHD too. I behave better on Whole30, though... 80/20 doesn't work for me very well.

Comment

• Hey y'all! I hope everyone is running well! I had a 3rd place AG run in a half--I won $50

I am full out running in Hokas now. Kailua Trail and Bondi's-I have tried other styles as well. I got a really good deal through Sierra Trading Post.

I haven't been eating more-except the cherries but my weight is up to 160. I don't know if it is solely the cherries or muscle or what. I run a lot better at 150. I eat so little it is hard to cut the cherries out

Comment

• Great job Relaygirl!

I got 2nd in my AG once, because there were only 2 of us! I admire those of you that have speed. I don't have any but I'm persistent.

I can't imagine running in Hokas. But I say use whatever works for you. Glad you found something that does. I've found my favorite running shoes with Luna Sandals.
                    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82833.html

Comment

• I couldn't imagine running in Hoka's either. The sole is just so. danged. thick. I love my vibrams though! And, yeah... I've never placed. lol

Comment

• I am signed up for a half in mid May... I just looked at the course map.... it has about 250 ft elevation change over the course.... the first 9 miles is almost all down hill.... miles 9-12? all up hill..... mile 9 about 25 ft; 10, about 150 ft; 11, another 50 ft...... what the hell did I sign up for! I knew it was a hilly course..... I was thinking intemitent hills... not down the mountain, and right back up... geeeesh... my legs already hurt! lol

Comment

• mmm.... no thanks. lol Good luck!

Comment

• Ran my first half marathon. Time was a little over 3 hours. Less than what I was expecting. That big hill wasn't as hard as they made it out to be... but all the other smaller hills that came before it... kicked my butt!.. lol Half marathon is a done deal.

Comment

• Great job!

Comment

• Nice job SSN! How did your prep for the race do for you?

Comment

Working...
                                X