Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I FINALLY had a decent half marathon running on FAT!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Inflammation side lined me a bit. Heading out tomorrow for a 9912-14 miler. Should be fine. 20 miler next weekend. Then taper.
    9912 miles? Impressive..

Comment

• Good luck with the 20!

The calf sleeves seem to be working. Did 18 yesterday while wearing them. Felt great

Comment

• hahaha stupid phone. It autocorrects numbers all the time and I don't know why or how to stop it... that should have read 12-14, but I'm betting you figured that out.

12 miler is what I did and it went pretty well until my feet got wet and cold. I'll be glad when winter is done and all signs of her are gone.

20 miler for this weekend... have no idea where I'm going to go to do it...
        Primal since March 5, 2012
        SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Ok, got my route mapped out. 20 mile loop. All paved. HOWEVER, it's also all unprotected highway. SO, in Iowa, what that means is that it'll be 34 degrees and WINDY AS HELL with zero trees/fields to block the wind. And no where to hide if I have to go potty... I almost wish I was doing this on a treadmill... Man, the treadmill has spoiled me!

Here's my route: 20 mile loop in Durant, IA | MapMyFitness

Comment

• Well, it's done. Ran my marathon yesterday... and I finished. Glad that is over.... hardest thing I have ever done. Conditions blew... literally... 15mph wind all farging day, temps in the 40's, and I went dressed for a relatively calm day in the 50s.... froze my ass off!

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
              Well, it's done. Ran my marathon yesterday... and I finished. Glad that is over.... hardest thing I have ever done. Conditions blew... literally... 15mph wind all farging day, temps in the 40's, and I went dressed for a relatively calm day in the 50s.... froze my ass off!
              Great job finishing! Congrats.

ssn - were you running the Shamrock marathon in VA?

Jenn-how was the 20?
              Last edited by Drock; 03-18-2014, 05:12 AM.

Comment

• Gosh y'all I am so sorry I am out of touch!!! So much going on here. My mother in law is very sick and I started working part time. I have no time i'm still running a few dogs and I am coaching the girls running team at the elementary school.

Well, I'm still running of course! I'm running in Hoka's exclusively. I had several halfs in a row and my turf toe was out of control--the nail going into my ball joint feeling. I went from not being able to walk dogs one day to running 10 miles the next.

I am eating well but I am eating a lot of cherries-a bag a day-frozen organic. I can't help it and I don't want to live with out them anymore.

Hope everyone is well and looking for warmth like me--where is the SPRING!!!

Comment

• And a pain note-I have had chronic calf and hip pain--I continue to take collagen and drink bone broth but I added tart cherries-I buy the canned in water tart cherries from Oregon and use them in my protein shakes--pain almost all gone and hardly any ibuprofen! Its been about 2 months-1/2 can a day.

Marathon runners should pick cherries for speedy recovery -- ScienceDaily

Comment

• Congrats SSN on the marathon finish. I am petrified of my marathon! A BQ runner I know did the same race last year that I'm doing this year and she told me to bring my mental A-game. She said it was cold and windy!

My 20 went pretty well. It sucked at the time, but looking back it wasn't so bad. It was breezy and a bit chilly, but it was ok. I was in and out of my gloves the whole time b/c the wind along the river was biting into my hands. I completed it in 4:29. I figure that puts me at about 5:15 or so for the marathon. Respectable as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

• Hey stranger (relaygirl),

Sorry to hear about your toe but it doesn't really seem to hold you back! I'll take your advice about the cherries but wouldn't stretching out your hip flexors help reduce your pain and inflammation? I'm guessing it has something to do with eating cherries.

SSN and Jenn,

Nice job and did you do it in ketosis? The reason why I ask is that I had to go back to adding some carbs into my pre-run meal. I know several of you have poo-pooed my use of an HR but I was becoming more and more exhausted while running. At first, I thought I was anemic (had a physical and RBC was low also do a search and you'll find my posts) but would see better running when I had eaten half a yam the night before. This theory progressed to the point where I do BP coffee in the morning with a small banana, eat a piece of fruit before my run, and finish the day with at least a half of a yam. My HR is now back to where it used to be before going whole hog on ketosis. I think what happened to me was that I didn't allow enough time to adapt to ketosis. My next experiment will be to do a slow weaning off of the banana with my coffee (get full fat burning in the morning), and then decrease the amount of fruit prior to my run. One good thing is that my weight has not gone up, which I thought would happen.

Looks like everyone is doing great and I can't wait for June 1, when I will run the San Diego Rock and Roll Half.

Comment

• I do not do ketosis. I'm lower on the carb scale, but I'm not ketotic (is that a word??). Prior to my 20 miler, I had two boiled eggs and a larabar, chased with some black tea. At mile 7, I ate another larabar. At mile 14, I ate a second larabar. After the run, I drank the rest of my tea which upset my stomach so I choked down another larabar. That night for dinner, I had two 1/4 lb patties made out of deer burger and ground pork and some green beans. I think I may have had an apple with cashew butter as well. And probably another larabar. I was hungry but b/c I hadn't gone grocery shopping yet, there was really nothing but larabars to eat. lol

Comment

• Larabars for the win! I love those things

Comment

• I got a lot of flack for them on MFP when I mentioned using them for race fuel. People were like "Those things have 200 calories in them! If you eat 6 in a period of a marathon, you'll consume 1200 calories". My response: "So? I burn 3000 running 20 miles... 1200 isn't even HALF of what I burn"... Besides, if I do gels like suggested at 100 calories a pop, every 45 minutes as suggested, over a period of 5 hours, I'll have consumed 700 calories of straight sugar with zero nutritional value at all... I'd rather have the 1200 calories of nutrition, thanks.

Besides, I only ate 3 of them in a 5 hour period, so I only consumed 600 calories, which is less than I would have with the gels.

Comment

• HG,
                              Weighing in here too. I'm not kerogenic either. Carbs are around 100-150g per day. TMI, sometimes I have funny smelling urine so I may dip into occasional mild ketosis. For my 18-mile training run a couple of weeks ago, pre-run was three eggs scrambled with an onion and bell pepper, and a few pieces of sausage. During the run, I ate about 6 deglet noor dates, and my water-sea salt-mineral salt-lemon juice hydration mix . Post run was a sweet potato and chicken breast. Lunch and dinner were higher carb than normal (but still Whole30 food)

Comment

• Originally posted by Drock View Post
                                Great job finishing! Congrats.

ssn - were you running the Shamrock marathon in VA?

Jenn-how was the 20?
                                Yes, I ran the Shamrock in Virginia Beach

Comment

Working...
                                X