Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I FINALLY had a decent half marathon running on FAT!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The main reason I signed up for the May marathon (vs. October) was so that I wouldn't lose focus in the winter. No one told me it was going to be the worst freaking winter since the ice age! I usually feel warmed up after 2-3 miles, but the wind is just awful Starting to think I made a dumb choice.

Comment

• Had a six mile run this morning and did it on BP coffee. I just bought some Ketostix to see if I truly am in Ketosis. When I woke up, before BP coffee, I tested my urine and saw that it was trace amount of ketones. After my run I had "moderate" levels of ketones (80 mg/dL). So I have no doubt now that I am running at full Ketosis. It will be interesting to see what my blood work will look like when I do my annual physical. ;-)

Comment

• I'm a little late here, but does anyone here subscribe to Mark's podcast (free)? His episode from a few weeks ago was about Chronic Cardio. And he's not discouraging it in the way that he did several years ago. He is, instead, telling us how to do it safely and as Primally as possible. It's a good listen if you haven't heard it.

My marathon training is going well. I did my 11 yesterday in the snow (about 3" when I started with more coming down). Just had some annoyances like snow getting packed up in between my shoes and yaktrax. I had to stop many times to stomp it out. But that's better than slipping and falling. I didn't slip or anything once, so I guess the yaktrax work

As far as nutrition, my carbs are higher than they have been since I've ventured into paleo/primal. I'm not eating them before a run (stick to protein, fat, and non-starchy veg). I'm probably about 90+% Whole30 right now, and I'm using their meal-planning template. So, immediately after a run I will have some lean protein with starchy veg (chicken breast and sweet potato or tuna and butternut squash). It really seems to be helping with the recovery. I'm not logging or tracking anything, but I'd guess I'm around 100-150 g of carbs per day. Somewhere around there. And I'm back to dropping some more weight again after a slight plateau around Christmas.

Comment

• HG - sounds awesome. Good job with the keto-running

Jenn - I'm done with winter too. Our winters usually aren't this bad. Highs usually aren't below 25, and we will get significant snow 2-3 times per year. This year has been awful - both for temperatures and snowfall. Ugh. Hang in there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drock View Post
            HG - sounds awesome. Good job with the keto-running

Jenn - I'm done with winter too. Our winters usually aren't this bad. Highs usually aren't below 25, and we will get significant snow 2-3 times per year. This year has been awful - both for temperatures and snowfall. Ugh. Hang in there.
            We are again bracing for some more stupid snow. And looking at sub-arctic temps again. The forecast for this weekend went from 18 degrees down to 7 degrees. I have 16 miles to run this weekend, and I'm planning to do it on the treadmill b/c 7 is just too blasted cold for me. I am coordinating with the gym so that the treadmills I need (with the longest use time - don't shut off after 60 minutes) are available for my use. That means I get to drive an hour from home to run 16 miles on a damned treadmill, then drive an hour home. It'll be a joyous freaking occasion, I'm sure. I wanted to bring my son's tablet and watch a movie to keep me occupied, but then I rememer it runs on wifi only and our gym (being on a government installation) does not have wifi. So, hopefully I can commandere the remote to the tv and find peace with something on the tv that day. Maybe some home improvement shows or something. Those always seem to entertain me the best - they're mindless and easy to watch as I love construction and design. I just hope the show line-up doesn't suck. lol

Anyway, I'm trying to determine my game plan. A marathoner friend of mine (also my doctor - who is also Paleo) suggested I do two six milers and a four miler. She said the last 'interval' would suck less if it's shorter. I think I'll take her up on that advice. And the treadmills I want to run on are very comfortable for me, so I should be able to set my pace and just go with it. It'll be my longest run to date as well. I've done one 25k on trails... I killed my 14 miler when I fell down the stairs at the state park just before the end of mile 5, and I expressed the fear with her that I wasn't ready for a 16 miler, but she was confident that I'll do fine... I'm anticipating not being able to walk afterwards. lol

I'll also be bringing a pair of socks with me for when I get tired of wearing my vibrams.
            Primal since March 5, 2012
            SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
              We are again bracing for some more stupid snow. And looking at sub-arctic temps again. The forecast for this weekend went from 18 degrees down to 7 degrees. I have 16 miles to run this weekend, and I'm planning to do it on the treadmill b/c 7 is just too blasted cold for me. I am coordinating with the gym so that the treadmills I need (with the longest use time - don't shut off after 60 minutes) are available for my use. That means I get to drive an hour from home to run 16 miles on a damned treadmill, then drive an hour home. It'll be a joyous freaking occasion, I'm sure. I wanted to bring my son's tablet and watch a movie to keep me occupied, but then I rememer it runs on wifi only and our gym (being on a government installation) does not have wifi. So, hopefully I can commandere the remote to the tv and find peace with something on the tv that day. Maybe some home improvement shows or something. Those always seem to entertain me the best - they're mindless and easy to watch as I love construction and design. I just hope the show line-up doesn't suck. lol

Anyway, I'm trying to determine my game plan. A marathoner friend of mine (also my doctor - who is also Paleo) suggested I do two six milers and a four miler. She said the last 'interval' would suck less if it's shorter. I think I'll take her up on that advice. And the treadmills I want to run on are very comfortable for me, so I should be able to set my pace and just go with it. It'll be my longest run to date as well. I've done one 25k on trails... I killed my 14 miler when I fell down the stairs at the state park just before the end of mile 5, and I expressed the fear with her that I wasn't ready for a 16 miler, but she was confident that I'll do fine... I'm anticipating not being able to walk afterwards. lol

I'll also be bringing a pair of socks with me for when I get tired of wearing my vibrams.
              If you killed 14.... you'll do fine at 16...... even if it is on a hamster wheel.... I have a long run this weekend... my longest run in my training cycle planned for this weekend and my road is mostly ice.... I may be doing it on a treadmill, and I'm not looking forward to it... and the YMCA may not like the idea of me tying up a treadmill all darn day either...

Comment

• No killed as in quit. When I fell down the stairs I was ticked and bruised. It was the 2nd time I'd fallen that day. The ground was uneven b/c of the snowfall and I kept turning my ankles too. I thought for sure I was going to end up hurt, so I aborted.

I've already talked to my gym. They're aware I'll be there tying up a treadmill for an extended period of time.

Comment

• Hey y'all!!! I am here I have to go back and read! I have been so busy and shifting my job. Today is my last day as a doggie runner but I am coaching cross country this spring for middle school and older elementary girls and I don't have time. Then we had the snowmagedden.

I am doing really well and running great-I ran the hot chocolate 15k in 1:16-good for me. I trail race this weekend-first time since my crappy toe race in Nov.

I will go back and read, I promise. Hope everyone is okay.

Comment

• Jenn - do you like to read? You could buy a book on the tablet to 'pass the time' on the treadmill. Best wishes.

Comment

• I have a Kindle. I've tried running with it and it didn't work the best - but maybe with an increased font size it would work better. I'll take it with me and try it out again. Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                        No killed as in quit. When I fell down the stairs I was ticked and bruised. It was the 2nd time I'd fallen that day. The ground was uneven b/c of the snowfall and I kept turning my ankles too. I thought for sure I was going to end up hurt, so I aborted.

I've already talked to my gym. They're aware I'll be there tying up a treadmill for an extended period of time.
                        reading is fun-duh-mental..... some days my comprehension is nill.... lol

Comment

• I found out there is a room in our gym that is technically designated for soldiers that has a dvd player in it. The gym manager and I were talking about what I'd be doing this weekend and he told me to use the equipment in that room and bring a couple of movies. Luckily, the treadmills in there are the same brand/style as the ones I love in the main cardio room.

Comment

• Well it sounds like you won't have too bad of an experience on the Dreadmill. Sitting here drinking my BP coffee and about two hours away from running my first race of 2014, which is just a 10K. LOL. Only bad thing was that I only ran twice this week due to work BS but was able to run Weds. and Thurs. I know I'll do fine but it's going to be pretty cold out here at 55F. Sorry had to rub it in for you east coasters.

Hey Relaygirl! Welcome back and congrats on the coaching job. Hopefully the kids are as eager as the dogs to get out for a run!
                            Last edited by Hispanicgamer; 02-01-2014, 07:15 AM.

Comment

• I'd rather go out in sideward rain naked for 8 hours than spend 2 on a treadmill..

Comment

• Lol

Comment

Working...
                                X