Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I FINALLY had a decent half marathon running on FAT!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh and it is extremely cold here-I ran dogs today in 20 degrees and snow but told people tomorrow I will take them out to pee but there is no guarantee of mileage. It is just not good for me or dogs at single digits. But I will try-I have fleece lined pants on today and they are super comfy.

Comment

• Hey Relay,

Love my Fitbit. You'd kick my butt though on steps. I'm office bound so average 10K steps a day. I have 8 friends in my Fitbit competition and we have a lot of fun taunting or cheering each other on. It was the calorie counting app that comes with Fitbit that allowed me to see that I was eating too much carbs, so Fitbit rocks in my book!

Comment

• Hey relaygirl......am trying my best to wean off the binge esp on sugar. Past 3 days had been slightly better (to me at least &#128540 as I only had 2 scoops of ice cream daily compared to 5 daily, and OMG....I found myself addicted to apples & cherries (inspiration from you!) instead! I crave apples & cherries in my middle of night binges instead! So technically I'm still having problems with my midnight binges, but on healthier sugar & carbs 😜

On a side note, I ran 15km on both Sunday & Tuesday (rested on Monday)....is it too much for my body or shall rest longer in between? I'm feeling good but my legs are really tight.....

Cheers 😊

Comment

• My next is also in March - Bataan Memorial Death March. Running is hit or miss right now. I had been eating very poorly and it impacted my body's ability/willingness to run without nerve pain. I'm following Whole30 again, so with any luck it'll be right as rain again in a couple of days. It's been really really cold and I've been really really wussy so I haven't done much outdoor running. This weekend is supposed to near the 40's so I plan to sneak out for a few miles.

Great job on the half! I also ran one over the Christmas holiday.
          Primal since March 5, 2012
          SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Has anyone here gone through a period of not wanting to run, or getting a bit fed up with it? Personally, it's a rough time for me but instead of running to help, I feel lethargic, don't want to leave the house, and just bored with everything including running. I'm binging on peanut butter like it's the last day on earth, and the inevitable spiral of guilt related eating habits continues.. It's not the food choices, they're all healthy homemade treats, but just far too many and when I'm full, I just keep eating until nausia hits. (I feel my mood and outlook will improve once I get this under control.)
            BTW I know theres obviously more to it than that in terms of the mental help front, but that's not for here really, but as far as the first question goes (motivation), have there been times when you thought 'Nope..' on more than one consecutive occassion? I ask because I used to love my long runs, and right now, I should be doing one. And on the subject of binge eating, how do you deal with it and keep it under control (if it's an issue to you?)
            Thanks, and sorry for the mood killer question

Comment

• Originally posted by Jenry Hennings View Post
              Has anyone here gone through a period of not wanting to run, or getting a bit fed up with it? Personally, it's a rough time for me but instead of running to help, I feel lethargic, don't want to leave the house, and just bored with everything including running. I'm binging on peanut butter like it's the last day on earth, and the inevitable spiral of guilt related eating habits continues.. It's not the food choices, they're all healthy homemade treats, but just far too many and when I'm full, I just keep eating until nausia hits. (I feel my mood and outlook will improve once I get this under control.)
              BTW I know theres obviously more to it than that in terms of the mental help front, but that's not for here really, but as far as the first question goes (motivation), have there been times when you thought 'Nope..' on more than one consecutive occassion? I ask because I used to love my long runs, and right now, I should be doing one. And on the subject of binge eating, how do you deal with it and keep it under control (if it's an issue to you?)
              Thanks, and sorry for the mood killer question
              I'm a newbie at this long distance running thing.... and I find myself in much the same situation. On 1 January I started a Whole30 to break the sugar monster's grip on my food choices that began in November. As a result I have gained about 10 lbs, and I find it really easy to talk myself OUT of a run. I'm preparing for a marathon in March, my run this past weekend was supposed to be 24 miles. I got to 12 and started to feel crappy (probably because of the radical diet change) and when I came in to get some water, I mentioned how I felt, the wife suggested that I stop, and that was the end of the run for the day... she didn't insist I stop, just made the suggestion that "Maybe it's time to stop today" and I was done...Was supposed to do a 5 miler yesterday but took care of some errands instead, telling myself I'll run when I get back. By the time I was done with the errands, I was within an hour of my bed tiime... eeehhh I'm not doing a 5 miler today, I'll make it up tomorrow... Yeah, you aren't alone in this boat.
              How am I dealing with it? Well, the Whole30 is one way. That takes care of the dietary portion... The "apathy" is a totaly different story. I don't know how I am going to deal with that. If I don't, I won't make the goal of finishing the marathon in March.....
              Last edited by ssn679doc; 01-09-2014, 03:35 AM.

Comment

• Hi Jenry Hennings,

I just went thru exactly what you described in the past month. I just didn't felt like exercising in any way and to leave the house for a run seems totally draggy to me. I would rather spend my time driving and walking around town and bingeing on whatever food I can see! And yes to the point of nausea 😖.

It went on for a whole month, but I'm slowly trying to recover from it. Forced myself out for a long run a couple of days ago and rediscovered that enjoyable feeling again. I felt so good after my run I didn't really binge after. Guess its a cycle...

I'm sure you will get out of it soon too, cos we all love running...deep down in our hearts ❤️

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                  I'm a newbie at this long distance running thing.... and I find myself in much the same situation. On 1 January I started a Whole30 to break the sugar monster's grip on my food choices that began in November. As a result I have gained about 10 lbs, and I find it really easy to talk myself OUT of a run. I'm preparing for a marathon in March, my run this past weekend was supposed to be 24 miles. I got to 12 and started to feel crappy (probably because of the radical diet change) and when I came in to get some water, I mentioned how I felt, the wife suggested that I stop, and that was the end of the run for the day... she didn't insist I stop, just made the suggestion that "Maybe it's time to stop today" and I was done...Was supposed to do a 5 miler yesterday but took care of some errands instead, telling myself I'll run when I get back. By the time I was done with the errands, I was within an hour of my bed tiime... eeehhh I'm not doing a 5 miler today, I'll make it up tomorrow... Yeah, you aren't alone in this boat.
                  How am I dealing with it? Well, the Whole30 is one way. That takes care of the dietary portion... The "apathy" is a totaly different story. I don't know how I am going to deal with that. If I don't, I won't make the goal of finishing the marathon in March.....
                  Oh this is soooo me! I have also switched back to whole30 and it totally screwed with my run yesterday. I got halfway through and felt terrible, so I quit. Sadly, I quit at 2 miles not at 12... lol I'm hoping the rest of my marathon training goes better than it's gone recently. The holidays really threw off my schedule and my desire to run.

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                    Oh this is soooo me! I have also switched back to whole30 and it totally screwed with my run yesterday. I got halfway through and felt terrible, so I quit. Sadly, I quit at 2 miles not at 12... lol I'm hoping the rest of my marathon training goes better than it's gone recently. The holidays really threw off my schedule and my desire to run.
                    Well, good luck on getting a grip on your diet and motivation! (seriously... no sarcasm, which is my normal response to just about everything!)

Comment

• One thing that I would recommend is changing the time or place of when you run. Routine can become boring and will sabotage your runs. I usually do my weekly training runs at work at lunch time but I have three different trail and street paths that I can do to change things up. Do you know someone training for the same race? Ask them to go out for a run. Put a little play into your training runs. Have a significant other wait for you at the halfway and endpoint of your run with water or nuun. My Wife and I have an 8-9 mile run that we do where we hide a bottle of nuun in a grocery bag in some bushes at the halfway point. We take 5 minutes to drink and walk around before we take off to finish our run. The marathon is your end goal but you need to make mini goals for each week to achieve the final big goal.
                      Last edited by Hispanicgamer; 01-11-2014, 07:24 AM.

Comment

• Had a training run with my herd, the San Diego Track Club's Rockin' n' Runnin' training program. Today, we were supposed to run 40-50 minutes but I chose to do 2.5 miles out and back. Started the morning off with my coffee+2TBS Coconut oil+1 scoop of Tera's Chocolate whey+1 TBS Collagen+1.5 TBS of Kerrygold and ran the whole run just on that had 4 dixie cups of water while on the route and felt great. My only issue is fighting off a head cold that seems to be moving into my lungs. This week I plan on running 3-4 days averaging 4 miles per run and Saturday we are supposed to run 60 minutes but I will run 6 miles. Grok on!

Comment

• Sunday is my long run day... and yesterday was gorgeous here. Sunny, temps in the lower 40's up to the low 60's. I took another stab at the 24 miles. I finished all 24 miles, and at the end, I was pretty much toasted. Feet and back hurt, legs were tired, but not really sore, just felt like lead. Breakfast was scrambled eggs and a big baked sweet potato about 3 hours before my run. I only ate 6 dates (2 at the end of 12 miles and the other 4 at the end of 20)... I'm pretty stoked about finishing that distance!

Comment

• Congratulations SSN!

That's a major accomplishment! I know you said your marathon is in March but was wondering why you shot for 24 miles with maybe 6-9 weeks left before your race?

Comment

Sunday is my long run day... and yesterday was gorgeous here. Sunny, temps in the lower 40's up to the low 60's. I took another stab at the 24 miles. I finished all 24 miles, and at the end, I was pretty much toasted. Feet and back hurt, legs were tired, but not really sore, just felt like lead. Breakfast was scrambled eggs and a big baked sweet potato about 3 hours before my run. I only ate 6 dates (2 at the end of 12 miles and the other 4 at the end of 20)... I'm pretty stoked about finishing that distance!
                              I take it you hydrated more regularly than you ate? That distance with that fueling is awesome! Are you doing any core work? When I did my ultra I'll never shut up about, my back hurt worse than my legs

Comment

Well, good luck on getting a grip on your diet and motivation! (seriously... no sarcasm, which is my normal response to just about everything!)
                                I think it's all good now. I was able to venture out for 10 miles with no real problems. Just didn't eat enough throughout the early part of the day so I felt physically ill after the run was over, but once I ate I was ok. Did 3 miles today with no issues too. I think the body is actually adjusting quite well now.

Originally posted by Hispanicgamer View Post
                                One thing that I would recommend is changing the time or place of when you run. Routine can become boring and will sabotage your runs. I usually do my weekly training runs at work at lunch time but I have three different trail and street paths that I can do to change things up. Do you know someone training for the same race? Ask them to go out for a run. Put a little play into your training runs. Have a significant other wait for you at the halfway and endpoint of your run with water or nuun. My Wife and I have an 8-9 mile run that we do where we hide a bottle of nuun in a grocery bag in some bushes at the halfway point. We take 5 minutes to drink and walk around before we take off to finish our run. The marathon is your end goal but you need to make mini goals for each week to achieve the final big goal.
                                I do have various routes, but it has been incredibly cold recently, so it's either run on the dreadmill or don't run. Last week we saw temps of -15. That's too fracking cold. This week we're in the 30's so I'm venturing out. I work on an island that doubles as a military base. I have two routes I can take off island, but they I can either travel up or down the river - so 4 "off-island" routes, or a few on-island routes I can run. I prefer off island, but of course there are limitations with that - badging to get back on post, dealing with a swing bridge that opens at various times of day to allow barge traffic to travel up or down river, etc. I love crossing the river on foot though b/c the bridges are steel mesh so you can see the water rushing below you. And the view is amazing. Today I stayed on-island and did a 3 mile recovery. I ran with bald eagles soaring over head and perched in trees. It was beautiful!

Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                                Sunday is my long run day... and yesterday was gorgeous here. Sunny, temps in the lower 40's up to the low 60's. I took another stab at the 24 miles. I finished all 24 miles, and at the end, I was pretty much toasted. Feet and back hurt, legs were tired, but not really sore, just felt like lead. Breakfast was scrambled eggs and a big baked sweet potato about 3 hours before my run. I only ate 6 dates (2 at the end of 12 miles and the other 4 at the end of 20)... I'm pretty stoked about finishing that distance!

That's INSANE! How did I not notice you posting here before? I had no idea you were running so crazy far! What race are you training for? Great job with teh fueling! I'm hopeful that I can get back to running half marathons with no pre-run/mid-run fuel. Of course, I don't run 24 miles either. That's awesome. Great job!

Originally posted by Jenry Hennings View Post
                                I take it you hydrated more regularly than you ate? That distance with that fueling is awesome! Are you doing any core work? When I did my ultra I'll never shut up about, my back hurt worse than my legs
                                My back and sides ache so badly after a long run. I know I need to get back to the planks to get the abs back in running shape. That's my goal for this week - to build back up to three 1-minute planks. I did a bunch of them last winter/spring and they helped so much when I started half training. I haven't done any since and I can certainly tell.

Comment

Working...
                                X