Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I FINALLY had a decent half marathon running on FAT!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relay, I hope you're feeling better very soon.

HispanicGamer- WOW! Way to go! Great job on the fasted half marathon! That's awesome!

*** Switching gears here ***

So, um guys... haha... I signed up for a marathon today. It's in March. March 23rd. At White Sands Missle Range in New Mexico... I'll let you Google the race and see what I've gotten myself into. lol
    Last edited by jenn26point2; 11-18-2013, 09:20 PM.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Hey Relay,

I hope you get better this week.

My BP coffee is:
      2 TBS Kerrygold
      2 TBS MCT Oil
      Now adding 2 TBS of Collagen
      The reflux has been there for awhile so I know that it isn't the Collagen. I went to the BP guy's website forums and there are several people saying they have the same issue. Some have suggested cutting back on the amount of MCT oil and bring up slowly. One person says they find relief if they make it iced. One person, said they get less reflux if they first drink a glass of water before starting on their BP coffee and then sipping water while drinking the coffee. I think this may be happening because I'm doing it daily rather than every other day. I'm going to try the water thing first, if that doesn't work I will cut back to one TBS of MCT oil and slowly bring it up. Also wondered if maybe my coffee is too big. I use a 3 cup french press and maybe have 2.5 cups for the coffee. What do you think?

Jenn,
      If that is the Bataan Death March Marathon, that looks brutal! Luckily it looks like the temps are pretty bearable during the race.
      Last edited by Hispanicgamer; 11-18-2013, 02:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hispanicgamer View Post

Jenn,
        If that is the Bataan Death March Marathon, that looks brutal! Luckily it looks like the temps are pretty bearable during the race.
        Yes... that is the one I signed up for. 18 weeks to train. So glad I've been training for halves all summer. I'm already half way there! Ordering some non-vibrams to train in and race in. Thinking New Balance Minimus. I want something with a bit more cushion in the sole and more distance between me and the hot desert sands. They have a drop of only 4 mm, and given I'll be training on trails (the trails I just did the 25k on b/c the elevation change is similar) and racing in sand, I don't think I'll notice the height change. The temp does look like it could be mild. I'll be training in snow and then racing in the desert. Oy. I'm silly! lol

Comment

• Hey relaygirl, hope you're feeling better? .

I got bad reflux on my first try of coconut oil with coffee too (& I only use 1 tsp oil) and I thought it was just me until I saw all your replies....hmm...maybe I'll add collagen to try as well? Do keep me posted if you guys have any more remedies to deal with the reflux

Take care everyone! 😆

Cheers 😊

Comment

• Well done Hispanic! Suffering really did pay off in the end!

Although, no one should suffer through acid reflux..

Comment

• My mom always told me I was put on this earth to suffer. That is why we have a lot of issues in our relationship

But she, and my US Army Ret Colonel father, did teach me the biggest lesson I use constantly and that is just to suck it up. It was a bit of a negative upbringing for a happy go lucky girl who wears her heart on her sleeve.

jenn-wow, you go girl with the death march. You are so inspiring. Are there training blogs for people who have done it before? I want to do one in the spring too...but not that one

Hispanic-I really, really think the acid reflux is straight up from the coffee. I think putting the vat of coffee in our stomachs, empty and then going running is just harsh. Especially if you are used to the MCT. When I was straight BP coffee in the mornings I was 2.5 cups of coffee with 1 tbl kerrygold, 1 tbl mct. Solution, I think, might be more time between the run and the coffee with less coffee. I would sometimes have 1/2 before and 1/2 after.

Let's see, right now I have my huge container of coffee mixed with protein powder, egg or egg whites (I'm counting fat so it depends on what is on the menu for the day), and collagen around 6 am. I think I usually just have another straight coffee with either coconut oil, mct, a little butter or just heavy cream (if I am out), around 9. Then I start my doggy clients around 10:30. I haven't had a ton of acid reflux lately-but I notice it more on the weekends when I am running earlier and faster.

I'm so glad to see people add the collagen--I cannot even express in this little box how much I outwardly see the changes in my body. If I see it on the outside, I can't imagine what it is doing on the inside. In just this short time my nails are thicker, the color is better and I have never seen this dramatic difference in my face using any cream or product-no matter the price. I had a big improvement facially using the clarisonic to wash my face; I had a big improvement when I dropped dairy (have since added minimal things in but not like before); but now it actually helps with the little lines. All my good pictures are on my phone. I will try tonight to post.

I still use 2 tbl of collagen--I spread mine out 2 tsp at a time in veggie and protein shakes through out the day.

Let's see-update on my consumption, if anyone is interested. Remember I am a 41 year old woman fighting hormones and metabolism. Really nothing has cracked this fat loss until just the past few months. I am at 50 % protein, 35 % fat, 15 % carb--that is approximate of course-sometimes the fat is higher if I go nuts on avocadoes. I was probably opposite with fat and protein a year ago.

I think I am around 150 lbs now. I haven't gotten on the scale in a while. I will on Dec 31. In the last 2 months my arms and shoulders really leaned out, my waist is very trim, but I still have some belly which probably needs a mommy lift to correct anyway. And after I pay for my kids stuff, I would rather spend the rest of that money on good food, running shoes, running skirts, races and trips. My husband has no extra-curricular activities which might be part of his problem

Comment

• Originally posted by relaygirl View Post
                My mom always told me I was put on this earth to suffer. That is why we have a lot of issues in our relationship
                Your mum sounds like a buddhist to me! Buddha's noble truths centre around the 'life is suffering' angle.
                And plus, in my opinion, it's better to learn that than think life is easy and being constantly disappointed!

Comment

• Jenn, I'm excited that you've signed up for the marathon. Is this your first one? Best wishes to you! I signed up for one in May. It will be my first too. Not nearly as hilly or challenging as yours will be (I live in central Ohio so it's really flat here too). So I'll be out there this winter training too.

Comment

• Drock are you running the Flying Pig? I am thinking about doing the half. So I can wear a pink skirt

Comment

Drock are you running the Flying Pig? I am thinking about doing the half. So I can wear a pink skirt

Comment

Drock are you running the Flying Pig? I am thinking about doing the half. So I can wear a pink skirt
                        No, the Cleveland marathon. Maybe I will do flying pig in the future sometime. I've heard it's good

Comment

• So in regards to the reflux, I find that taking in water after a couple of sips of BP coffee helps but does not eliminate the throat clearing that I get. It does go away, for me, about an hour after finishing my coffee. I tried eating a banana, I know I know this isn't fasting, but I wanted to see if it was a food thing. It doesn't seem like the banana helped I'm going try this without the butter and chill my coffee to see if this works, next.

Next week I'll be visiting my folks in N AZ and having Thanksgiving there. It will be hard food wise because my Mom is an incredible cook. She always bakes an apple pie for me using apples my folks grow on their land and I haven't the heart to tell her I can't eat it. My Dad and I share a passion for BBQing and I look forward to east some great meat items caveman style.

The week after I will be hitting the pavement hard to work all my non-primal cals off.

Comment

• Hispanic--okay, eat the pie and don't feel guilty-that is what living is, enjoying your mama's pie --that is pure joy right there.

Have you tried the egg in the coffee?

It seems so technical--like if I twist 3 times and stand on my head and shout "Holy Cow" 3 times can I run without reflux? But I know you are trying to get a working formula that is good for you.

Why do you want to do the bp coffee--is it to run fasted or to maintain specifically Bullet Proof fasting? Or to run keto?

I think it took me several months to figure that my goal was to run 1) without feeling like I had the sh*t kicked out of me 2) to run keto 3) to not be hungry.

I think running fasted is excellent training-I just want you to think about exactly what you are trying to achieve.

Comment

• Thanks Relay. I have the same goals as you outlined. What I really want is to try and get my overall body fat down to 10-15% from 20%. One thing that I am not doing and need to start doing is Mark's exercise regimen. I had started a couple months ago but thought I was doing too many things. Now that I have the BP thing down I will restart the Primal fitness exercises. It's incredible to see what being Primal had done to my body. I told my Wife the other day that I wouldn't feel self conscious anymore if I were to go swimming or to the beach. I'm like most men in that we would like to at least have one picture of ourselves where we have a six pack and not a keg.

I've been reading about GERD and reflux and think it may be that some upper GI bugs could be responsible. I was diagnosed with GERD this year and had been on Prilosec and Tagamet but I tested the theory that it was from my upper GI bacteria going to town on any simple carbs that I was eating. It turned out that once I went Primal my reflux was gone. So my next adventure is tackling this thing with a couple of tests. Here's a link if you're interested.

Comment

• Ran a 1/2 marathon yesterday in ketosis and PRed. For breakfast about 2.5 hours before the race, I had three strips of bacon. About an hour before the race, I had some bone broth and half a serving of macadamia nuts. During the race, I had a little bit of gel every couple miles starting at mile 6 and washed it down with some water. In total, I had about 1/2 a gel. Energy felt very even and no major dips. Before, after having a gel, I would crash from blood glucose spikes and drops. No problem this time. I finished in 1:48:52.

Comment

Working...
                                X