Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I FINALLY had a decent half marathon running on FAT!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey relaygirl, great to know you had a good race! & Adam is so sweet to pace with you!

To everyone on this thread.....It was great to discover & join this thread, although I'm not very active in participating, but it really motivates me everyday to read all your convos & advice! I'm getting jitters now as my first half marathon is coming up in less than a week, cos I haven't been able to train much, the further I can managed running before I stopped to walk is 18km . Am just hoping I can finish the whole 21km distance without stopping (I know it's not fast but it's my first 21km race, so I guess it's ok if my aim is to finish in 2:30hr??? &#128518

Yes, I'm going to take the advice - stop worrying & not to change anything now before my race. Stick with my usual type of food & training - although I realized recently in the past 3weeks that I suffer from constipation & bloating very badly nowadays when I eat bread??? Used to carb load on bread all the life!

I'll tackle my BED problems & re-work one at a time on my diet after the 10 Nov.

Cheers to all

From a little island in S.E.A.

Comment

• Hey Loka,

You will do fine as well as Relay Girl because you both have the fitness to do it. I know that I will do well because all I seem to do is run in preparation for my run. Not to sound like Yoda but, Finish you will if only you believe you can. A couple weeks ago I decided to have a diet coke, one of my favorite things to drink, and discovered that my Primal body wouldn't have nothing to do with it. That was when the light went off in my head and I realized that I was "all in" on living Primal. Having discovered that my body doesn't really need to be carb loaded has made me excited at the possibility of running my Half in two weeks fasted. I have been running marathons and half marathons for 10 years and all I ever heard was, "You need to eat after an hour of running." Well, I ran 1 hour 50 minutes yesterday and I kicked ass. I now know that it really is the mind that takes you from the start to the finish. I can't wait to see how I do in two weeks running fasted and am grateful for Relay Girl posting her success here. It has definitely opened my eyes to what I am capable of doing. I also know one thing and that is Loka you can do it as well. You just have to "do". Trying not use the Nike thing here.

Comment

• Hey Hispanicgamer,

Thanks for the encouragement! Yes, I will DO it, be it finish in a good time or finish whole run without stopping, I will just DO it , even though I have to run it fasted cos I can't stomach any food so early in the morning! Fingers crossed n thanks for all the encouragement! hope to update all with good news about my run on the 10 Nov! Cheers!

Comment

• Hispanicgamer you gave me chills! Love it. We all need those "Well Fed" compression socks-because we if are, we can get through the race. I love diet coke too. I thought about it the other day when the race was so bad-I love a cold one after a trail run--but I haven't had one in I think, 2 years now. I'm sure I would throw it up.

Loka-its just one foot in front of the other-just get to the end-look at the people around you who might need encouragement as well. I'm so motivated to help someone like Adam helped me.

I walked the doggies today after my trainer. I feel good-toe feels good-I have a little arch soreness. I am running tomorrow to see how it goes. I will get new shoes as well.

And I don't know what it was about today, but 3 people at the gym said I looked trim and strong. Whoo hoo!!! They were all complimenting my trainer on him working me out well, of course, but I know it is the food. I've really been coming in at 50% protein, 30% fat, 20% carb the past few weeks.

My friend just finished 2, 100 mile races in 1 month. I think we can do this. And she is 60.

Comment

• hey, Loka, my best time, running start to finish is 2:30. 2:30 is a respectable time, personally.

Good luck!

This weekend I'm doing a trail race. 10k loops. 5k is uphill, 5k is downhill. I plan to do two loops, maybe a 3rd. If I do 3, I will have run further than I have ever run before... I'm going to assess how I feel after 20k b/c 12 miles of 1000 foot elevation change might do me in. Time will be a big factor in whether or not I do a 3rd lap. I'm excited for it.
            Primal since March 5, 2012
            SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Two 100 mile runs?! I think my Yoda just left the room! I know it's all in the training but to reach that type of fitness and endurance is super human. Maybe it's because I have run a marathon before but to even run 30 miles would be daunting to me.

Comment

• Wow... she's intense!

Comment

• She is intense. I have run on relay teams with her. She is swiss too and goes home and runs all through the Alps. Its no biggie to her-she runs about 60 miles a week and almost all of it is on trails.

I have a cold-yuck. I can't get the right combination of drugs in me to make it feel better. I stupidly bought zinc drops and I forgot they are made with corn syrup-I bet there is a natural one at WF.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hispanicgamer View Post
                    Two 100 mile runs?! I think my Yoda just left the room! I know it's all in the training but to reach that type of fitness and endurance is super human. Maybe it's because I have run a marathon before but to even run 30 miles would be daunting to me.
                    Endurance gets better with age. Quoting born to run, we peak at 29 y..o but it takes another 50 or so years for performance to decline to that of a 19 year old, provided you still train. That was one of the explanations given as to why older tarahumara tribesman can still run so far so old.
                    I ran my first 50 mile race in under 10 hours, and im only 21. I thought it was impossible at first, but you keep training and suffering and training and suffering some more, and i hope to run a hundred miler in maybe 4-5 years after doing a few more 50mile and 100Ks.
                    Not impossible, and well within human ability!

Comment

• Wow Jenry-you are so young! I love the training and suffering-because that is exactly how I feel!!!

It hurts to train, suck it up.

I had a great running day today-nice and easy-very, very slow 7.5 miles. No pain in my toe. I'm going back to the ART chiro in 2 weeks. Evidently, I met my deductible so now it is only $25 a visit until the end of the year. I wish I had known.

Comment

• I'm glad the ART doc was able to fix you up! I see mine today to have my toe worked on and the top of my foot. I went out for a 3 miler and the top of my foot started to hurt in the last mile... no way I'll make it through 12 miles if it hurts after 2!

Comment

• jenn, the ART guy is good with my hips too. I'm so glad I met my deductible. Thanks for encouraging me to go back.

I ran really well today. I only had 2 clients and my last one is very athletic and we did sprints! Toe is fine.

I hate that I had that bad race-I'm still dwelling on it. My friend really helped me today though telling me about a bad day she had last week and then having an awesome run the next. She galloways but still feels it like I do.

Planning ahead to my t-giving day half, I feel better about it now. I will get 2 ART sessions in before the race. We are going to Florida the first part of the week before Thanksgiving and I love running on the beach where we go in the panhandle. It will be nice and easy and flat for kind of a taper-which I never do but its vacation. And I will have to get out of the house because my mother is going. I can eat lots of awesome seafood too that week. I love the food down there.

Trained today and deadlifted 160. I'm hanging in there, not my best but good for me. I can't remember what my back squat was but I ended with 3 x 10 heavy.

Comment

• Glad to read that your Toe is not affecting your running. A bad day of running always beats a good day of ......... Nah, a bad run is always a bad run. Put it this way Relay girl, now you have someplace to do better from. One more week to go for my Half on the 17th. Running fasted has been eye opening and I plan on doing it for this Half. I'll carry a hand water bottle and carry nuun to recharge as I run. I will also keep a couple Stingers in my pocket in case I feel the need for them. Have a great weekend everyone!

Comment

• Good luck to your half next week Hispanicgamer 👍

2 more hours to my first half.....getting jittery now 😬

Comment

• Hope your race went well Loka! Grok on!

Comment

Working...
                                X