Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I FINALLY had a decent half marathon running on FAT!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oooh Big Sur!! i also have always wanted to run that one!

i may deadlift a bottle of wine tonight the way this week is going (and i'm in Canada so we had monday off!). what a nightmare...is it full moon or retrograde or something!?!?

ok maybe i'll just do my 12km run with neighbors dog instead. that should make me feel better.

Comment

• meloroaster-running with dogs is always better. They are always so happy to go

I'm thinking ahead to my relay next week. I leave thurs. I am going to eat a good meal that morning-meat and veg. That way I have a solid meal in me that day. I am going to bring protein powder and my blender bottle and I buy coffee as I go and shake it up. I am going to boil eggs and have them peeled and sea salted in my cooler. We usually have a team dinner thurs night so sometimes if you can get a burger and broccoli I will just order 2-and put the other one in my hotel fridge and have it for breakfast or lunch after the relay starts on Friday. I'm packing apples and 2 bananas. Almonds and little pack of almond butter. Later if I get starving Friday late if there is a chick fil a (terrible I know but sometimes its the best you got) I will buy 2 grilled sandwiches and just eat the meat lettuce and tomato. sometimes when I travel I put Coconut oil or mct oil in a little Tupperware and add it to stuff as I go because it is hard to get fats in-easy to add to coffee, dip an apple in, etc.

I have not gotten on the scale in a long time now. I feel so good-I will get on when I have my insurance medical exam on the 30th.

Comment

• Oh and turf toe-I ran dogs mon and tues and it hurts-but not burning pain like it was before. I elevate and ice. I am really running easy, slow and walking steep hills so I don't push off of it. I might order shoes this weekend for the relay. I just don't know which ones to cycle out. I'm going to keep better track from now on.

Comment

• My chiro is ART I just can't afford to go in with this trip. Maybe I should go no matter.

Comment

• Last night I had an 11 hour day at work and felt like deadlifting some 16 ouncers! Glad the toe is doing better RG. Had a question, you mentioned getting new shoes and was curious on how you break them in. I usually walk in my new shoes a couple of days before using them for running.

Comment

• I say go no matter and work a payment deal out with your chiro. Mine had to really work on the toe joint and it hurt like a giant SOB, but was SO worth the pain and the agony b/c now it feels amazing.
              Primal since March 5, 2012
              SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Jenn-you are right, I've just got to suck it up and go to the chiro. I need it so badly. My neck hurts, IT band hurts. Toe...

Hispanicgamer-I just put on the shoes and run. Especially if it is the same kind I have been wearing. I have bought shoes the night before the race and worn them the next day I think it might have been Born to Run that did it for me-not to be fussy about every little thing I wear or eat. Just get out and go. I mean, these people tie on sandals and run over rocks all day, I think I can put on running shoes and just run. Same with food-these people just pack a bean burrito and drink a beer and run-when did it get so complicated "to fuel". This eased my idea of timing too-I stopped running with my watch in 2010. Whether I run a 15 min mile or an 8 minute mile or whatever, just run.

The only way I know my time now is to race. If it is a big race with clocks at each mile, I try to keep my head down and not look-just to go.

that said-I am a neutral runner so I pick a neutral shoe which is pretty easy. Right now on road I wear Mizuno Precision 13 or Mizuno Waverider 16. If I find nike vomero's, lunarglides or asics gt or nimbus I will get them off a sale rack.

the only problem I have had with shoes was when I went to a racing flat and through a barefoot stint-trying to get minimal it just didn't work for me. I understand the dynamics of building up the muscles in my foot and ankle but I got a stress fracture and just said no more.

BUT I think if you get new shoes, walking is so awesome as exercise it is a great way to get accustomed to new shoes. I like to see where a blister will rub early sometimes.

I saw a guy running down my street barefoot today. I am going to try to catch him and talk about it if I can--completely barefoot, no five fingers. I just remember stubbing my toe so badly as a kid running in the road-how bloody it was, how much it hurt. The guy absolutely feels free though running that way-so I'm sure it works for him. His lack of a shirt and his need to wear a shirt kind of spoke to that

Comment

• Two years ago I saw several runners running barefoot during the San Diego Rock and Roll Marathon. One guy even has a website he advertises on his running jersey: barefootrunning.com. The whole minimalism thing is too dangerous, IMHO, and has given quite a few people stress fractures. Barefoot walking maybe but no running for me unless I'm on sand.

Comment

• i gotta give a shout out to my minimalist shoes!

i know it doesn't work for everyone which is cool. but there are MANY different iterations/styles/extremes so i would venture to say you may want to try a mid-minimalist. especially if you have ITB issues...after i cured my ITB with strength training (seriously, 2 weeks it was cured) and running mainly with minimalist (New balance MInimus/Merrel pace glove for anything under 15km and brooks pureconnect for anything up to half marathon distance) i have been problem free!

my knee used to be tender after long-ish runs. now...it's like nothing!!! PUreflows are more substantial even than Pureconnects and i know tons of people who love them.

i did ease into them a little but not that much. it's more that once i upped the mileage i "felt" it in my calves but it wasn't painful. just muscle building.

i guess my point is it may or may not work for you but it's also kinda like saying "they don't work" if you only tried one model.
                    i find it helps me a ton and has improved my posture a great deal. they can also just be used to walk around or in the gym. again, it's a tool...

Comment

• Originally posted by Hispanicgamer View Post
                      The whole minimalism thing is too dangerous, IMHO, and has given quite a few people stress fractures. Barefoot walking maybe but no running for me unless I'm on sand.
                      It's only dangerous because people rush in to barefoot/minimal with no significant lower leg strength or plantar strength. Of course they're going to get stress fractures. We're not the human we once were. The tarahumara/raramuri are still a primitive people who's genetics and environment allow for it.

Comment

• I totally agree with you Jenry and respect anyone who has made it work, like Meloroaster. I have a pair of five fingers and tried it out but never felt comfortable enough to continue running in them. However, I will check out Meloroaster's recommended shoes next time I'm shoe shopping. I have tried Newtons but they seemed a bit awkward though I know someone who swears by them. I guess I'm willing to try new things but just haven't found something to take my running into a new phase.

Comment

• I have run every mile this year in vibrams. There was a definite transition period between running in Nike Structures to Vibrams, but now I won't look back. I haven't had a single running injury since switching. When I wore Nikes (and Saucony and New Balance and Asics) I had ITB syndrome, posterior tibial tendonitis, runner's knee and sciatic issues and my form was hella bad. I spent a few months strength training and running short distances in my vibrams (and spent the rest of my time as barefoot as possible - even wearing Dr. Scholl's Fast Flats to work b/c they look like ballet slipper shoes), and have trained for and run 2 half marathons, about to do my third (this weekend) in my vibrams with zero common running issues. Even the turf toe thing started long before the vibrams (I've dealt with the turf toe thing for at least a year and a half - probably closer to two years). I highly recommend "barefoot" running, but also caution the transition period. My chiropractor pushes them too (she runs barefoot as well and crossfits in vibrams) stating that shoes cause hip and back issues and vibrams may cause achilles issues, but achilles issues are easier to fix and are more preventable with proper transition. I love my vibrams - best part: they don't have to be replaced every 300-500 miles b/c there's no cushion to breakdown.

Comment

• I loved my pair of minimus trail, but realised that since I run exclusively on trail, and I was about to do an ultra, I need a shoe with a bit more to it. NOT to be confused with a conventional shoe. I now use NB MT110, with a barely noticeable 4mm drop (although thats gone since i've done a lot more than the 500 recommended miles, practically a 0 drop now!) but it has a rock plate, lugs for mud, and it has saved my sole from very pointy masonry!
                            I think Vibrams are an invaluable tool when it comes to learning efficient running technique. Although, speaking from experience, stay away from tarmac! Had I run any more at that point, I was looking at stress fracture.

Comment

• What's tarmac?

I'll second that there's very little protection from rocks. Gone are my days running gravel roads or the shoulders of heavily traveled highways...

Comment

• I also have NB WT110's and I love them. Sometimes in mud with rock though I wear a heavy montrail mountain masochist.

I really know the benefits of 5 finger running although I am still not compelled to do it again BUT my friend has transitioned and it took her 2 years--she swears it helped the most to wear her 5 fingers ALL the time-running errands, running kids around, shopping, etc.

Also, I just feel not everyone's gait has to be a mid foot strike. I try to concentrate less on my strike and more on how my foot is on the upswing-I think this has helped my hips the most. It is hard to relay typing it out what I mean So much of my running is not on the road that I find holding my hips and shoulders in alignment is more important for me than foot strike.

I have a picture of my nice heel strike somewhere-I will try to post it if I can figure it out.

I am so losing fat and making gains at the gym. I squatted 135 today-a PR for me-I know a lot of girls can do more but I am stoked. I think I can do more. I will try after the relay.

Turf toe-feeling good. My friend said she though it could have been from yoga. I don't do a lot but I go through a series of poses for stretching and meditation daily and it is a lot on my toes. I have not done it this week trying to rest my toes.

My husband (of all people--he kind of ignores my obsession with food AND running, well, and so generally he ignores me) suggested making meatballs, cooking them and freezing them and then packing those to take on the race. Maybe he looked to see the overload of ground beef we had and he got ideas. But it is a good one-it is easy to pop a few meatballs from a cooler.

Also, those sumo deadlifts are awesome. My inner thighs are so strong now! Wow, I had no idea they could be that firm. I still don't do a lot of weight with them but I like them a lot.
                                Last edited by relaygirl; 10-17-2013, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X