Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I FINALLY had a decent half marathon running on FAT!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jenn-Mag citrate is better absorbed, I think than the oxide--anything ending in ate is best absorbed in capsule form. I don't think 55 oz of water is enough. The msm is what is naturally in bone broth. You can also put gelatin in your foods for msm, I think and it is better used by the body as well.

If you don't want walk breaks-remember you can always slow down!

I have a 20k on Saturday and a Labor Day 10K on Monday, of course I am hoping I feel better this weekend and I don't have any cramping.

Yesterday I ran 6 dogs and I did 18 miles all split up during the day. I was very tired. Plus, I had PR'd my back squat and I did sumo deadlifts for the 1st time. My body is screaming for a massage--but I have 4 dogs to run today. Should be easier and I take walk breaks with them.

Comment

• Hey y'all-I've not stuck to my plan this week and I even went artificial in the ice cream binge!!! ARGGHHH!!! Blue Bell is on sale EVERYWHERE! Stuff is golden. I've probably had 300 carbs A DAY! I will probably win my 20K because I will be so hopped up on carbs I am very puffy--my sports bras are tight. I am going to get serious again--I was doing so well. Not getting on scale.

*sigh* I am getting back to my eating plan-the protein shakes and good meat and veg. I have 2 friends that started a whole 30 and they are rocking it. I think I am going to eat my shakes for 1 more week to get back into my macros I want and then go whole 30 with the same macros-maybe more fat. BUT I'm still going heavy on protein. I don't know why it works better for me. It just does.

All that said, I am running really well. I have the 20K on Sat, I thought it was sun, but it is sat. Then I have a 10k on MOnday. I would run even better if I was not puffy.

I did sumo deadlifts this week on Tuesday and I am just now able to sit down on the toilet without having to brace the wall Great, eh? Who knew just a little difference in stance could reveal such a weakness in my inner thighs? I am floored, really. I thought I could crack walnuts with my thighs. I was so wrong.

All that AND I had 7 dogs on Mon, Tues, and Wed-18 miles a day. I walked intermittently and it was spread out over 6 hours in 90 degree heat but that with the sumo deadlifts has put me over the edge, not to mention the 3 kids and 3 dogs I care for when I'm not doing that. I went to bed at 9 every night. I saw my husband like 15 minutes total this week because of baseball and lacrosse practices--no disagreements at all--too busy! Maybe this is better than marriage counseling?

Because it was insane here I made 3 lbs of ground beef with a lot of cabbage, onions and mushrooms with curry, garlic, sea salt and pepper. I made it Sunday and portioned it out so at least for my husband and I we could grab something (between ice cream bowls). I also made 3 meat loafs from grass fed girls recipe with broccoli slaw in it. I used 3 lbs of ground meat and then shaped the 3 loaves. We ate 1 last night and then I sliced up the rest to eat this weekend because it should be crazy still with races and kids practices and the Alabama football game I'm going to Whole Food for wings this weekend-they have a deal during football season where you shove as many in a container as you can for $7.99.

Today is just 1 client with 2 dogs at the same time. yay!

Report races this weekend--if anyone is reading

Comment

• Sunday's the big day for me! I'm rather excited, sort of apprehensive (it's supposed to be warmer than I have trained in). I'm really hoping I do well. Thank you for the 'training' and encouragement along the way. I appreciate it.

I'm doing a whole30 starting Sunday (what was I thinking? Whole30 on race day???)

I know that 'brace the wall' need all too well. I've never done sumo squats though. how much lower in weight did you have to go to be able to do them?
        Primal since March 5, 2012
        SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Best wishes in your races this weekend, relay girl and Jenn!

Comment

• Thanks, Drock!

Comment

• My half marathon flag off is tomorrow morning at 5am! Any advice on what I should eat today to fuel up?

Comment

• cthy--just keep it meat and veg and sweet potato-you should do awesome!

I ran pretty slow and I was so tired for my race-but I came in 4th in my age group! Out of 44.

I will type more later-my son has a Bar Mitzvah reception during the Alabama game and he is SO mad!

Comment

• jenn-how did it go?!? I hope well

My 10k was awesome--I ran with my friend in 1:10. I don't think it even registered on my run radar that I was running. I have run with her for many years--I did her longs with her during marathon training 2x. I knew what I was in for It rained the whole time but it was okay.

Next up is a 15K on the 15th, I think. I placed in it 2 years ago so I hope I run okay this year. Then I ran 8 min miles at that distance and I don't do that anymore.

I am back on track food wise. I am still using protein shakes and eating frequently but more whole foods when I can get them in. I feel so much better. I don't know why my addict brain shifts over to demanding ice cream. I feel so good when I am eating well and I feel crappy when I eat (tons of) ice cream. Therefore, it seems I would not want the ice cream...BUT I DO!!!

I really like choc whey powder mixed with 12 oz of la Croix, a big handful of spinach, 1/2 cup frozen cauli, ice and an egg.

I also mix 12 oz of coffee with vanilla whey powder, 1/4 cup coconut milk, and as it is mixing, I add in in egg so it won't scramble in. It gets super frothy and I drink half and put half in a thermos to have after my first doggy client of the day.

I am mad at my self because if I had stuck with it I would have been back in my hot jeans by now but I will get there by the time it gets cold. I WILL, I WILL, I WILL!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by relaygirl View Post
                    jenn-how did it go?!? I hope well
                    It. Was. Amazing!!

here's the link to my write-up in my journal, complete with pics! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1299400

I hope that works... if not, it's on page 417.

Comment

• Great job on the 1/2 marathon!

Comment

• I managed to finish it in 2.5hours! Not impressive but I'm satisfied, considering its my first.
                        Thanks for the advice!!

Comment

• cthy and jenn!!!!! Yay!!! I'm so happy it went well. jenn-your pictures were great and it looked like a good race-not crowded and scenic!

I am sticking to my guns, mostly. I did have a single (big) bite of Blue Bell Banana Cream Pie ice cream which is on my husbands side of the freezer. It was divine. That is the end of the artificial stuff though-once that is gone he is back to all natural or homemade ice cream. So that was into my W30 but that is okay. I feel better but don't look a lot better. It gets harder and harder once you slide down the slippery slope to get your head and body back in the game.

I made a huge batch of taco soup with ground beef and my homemade broth for this weeks lunches. It is really good.

Running easy this week-nice and slow. I was so sore and run down the past 2 weeks, I just want to get out of bed and feel good!

jenn-keep your training up and sign up for another half!

Comment

• I have another half on the 22nd, possibly one in October, a possible 20k (on technical trails) in November, and a half in December. At some point I'd like to run a full, but I don't know when you know for sure you're ready for something like that, and since I don't know if I'm ready, I'm going to wait. Besides, my kids are really young and it puts my husband in a standstill on his day if I am out running forever, so maybe once my kids are older and can stay home by themselves.

I'm doing Whole30 right now too! YAY! I agree about how hard it is to get back in the game once you allow yourself to slide. Hence my current Whole30.

Comment

• Hey! Quick question for you.

On Sunday the 1st, I ran my half. Then on the following Saturday I ran 5 miles. This weekend I was scheduled to run 10, followed by a half next weekend.

Is 10 miles wise for the week before the half? The weekend before my last half, I ran 7 miles, with 10 miles the weekend prior.

I just want to feel fresh and strong for the half, but I don't want to cheat myself by doing too little either. What are your thoughts?

Comment

• Jenn- I would do the 10-you are keeping your fitness level high-not just trying to get through the half. Just know that with your race schedule you may have a bad race and you question running so much and running 1/2's -but just keep going.

When I became a half fanatic (which you should join!) and I was running my half challenge for myself I had run 12 half marathons that year and my 13th I was going to kill-I knew it and turned out awful. I could not believe it could happen to me after how many miles and races I had improved on and knocked out of the park. I could only put my head down at mile 8 and pray for the good Lord to pull me to the end. I was barely moving. It sucked. I doubted everything about my running up to that point. And of course, I had a relay the next week. I was so worried about the relay and being part of a team when I had run so poorly. Well, The relay was awesome and I put up my fastest 3 miles of my life (as an adult) on my last leg--21:30. (that will never happen again )

So, keep the miles up-do the 10. It will make the next half easier. The miles become old hat to your body. Mentally you steel yourself for the miles and you find a rhythm you only get after running the mid distance regularly, I think.

I'm sticking to my plan. I feel strong. I am going to try to PR my deadlift tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X