Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beet juice

Hi everyone,

So after having read a bunch of research showing a great endurance benefit from using beet juice daily, I have started drinking this in the morning before my workouts.

I know that sweet potatoes are superior to bananas as a post workout energy source, but was wondering about using beet juice post workout instead since this is much easier.

I am training for an ironman so I need the extra energy.

Lonnie

Sounds legit, as they say!

Comment

great idea, have you noticed a difference?

Comment

I've been drinking beet juice daily for about 2 weeks and i do feel like i've got more energy. It's very subtle and maybe it's all in my head but I think there's something to the beet juice.

we drink it after workouts, not before. I don't think my guts could handle it before a workout!

Comment

Probably because it's got a ton of sugar
          -Chuck

Comment

Do you have any links to this research?
            sigpic

Comment

Hmm... sugary juice instead of whole foods.
              Yes, beets are sugary.
              They also have a TON of nitrates, which are probably playing a role in this.

And other compounds... some friendly, some not so friendly.
              If a person has kidney issues, for instance, they should NOT consume beets at all as they are very high in oxalates.
              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
              ~Friedrich Nietzsche
              And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

You should give beet kvass a try. It's an easy to make fermented beetroot drink which is apparently very nutritious and a great tonic. Beet Kvass

Comment

i've made some and it's sitting in the fridge now, but i'm still too chicken to try it!

Comment

I made some ages ago and it was actually not bad. I'll need to make it again the next time I have some beetroot handy.

Comment

Originally posted by Annana View Post
                      You should give beet kvass a try. It's an easy to make fermented beetroot drink which is apparently very nutritious and a great tonic. Beet Kvass
                      Beet kvass is awesome, but can be problematic for some people: ...excerpted from the excellent comments section of this Gut forum post:http://www.lovingourguts.com/low-oxa...in-season-now/
                      PattyLA
                      on May 27, 2012 at 10:13 pm said:
                      "Hi Beth, First soaking and fermenting seem to have little if any impact on oxalate content of foods so almonds that have been soaked and beet kvass are almost certainly still very high oxalate I am sorry to say. My younger daughter will react to oxalate consumption in an obvious way and would react to my eating just a couple of soaked almonds from what was passing through my breast milk to her. "

Almonds are high in oxalates and assorted phytates, but we do know that soaking/sprouted raw almonds & slipping the brown skins off the sprouts before processing them or before consumption, eliminates many/most of these anti-nutrients. I posted that on her site, maybe she can test it since she & has such a sensitive child that will be an ideal test barometer. Allergies, to foods, pollen, pet dander or dust mites, are mistakes of the brain and immune system, & can be reversed, healed or at the very least vastly improved.
                      Last edited by Betorq; 08-27-2012, 06:25 AM.
                      "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
                      "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
                      "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

That's very interesting, I didn't realise that would be the case with beetroot. It certainly makes sense for unsoaked almonds.

Comment

Oh man, beet kvass. Not a fan. I probably would have kept at it, trying to get used to it, but once you throw it up, there's no going back. I just can't do it.

Comment

I adore beetroot, I eat enough of it that quite often the water in the toilet bowl turns purple when I go!

Regardless of that, from memory beetroot juice is great for stamina, but only short term. Once your body adjusts to it you don't get the benefits, you need to cycle the intake.

A guy at my work uses it for this, but mixes it with Ribena to make it taste better, dear me.
                            Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

Comment

Originally posted by TriGirl View Post
                              Hi everyone,

So after having read a bunch of research showing a great endurance benefit from using beet juice daily, I have started drinking this in the morning before my workouts.

I know that sweet potatoes are superior to bananas as a post workout energy source, but was wondering about using beet juice post workout instead since this is much easier.

I am training for an ironman so I need the extra energy.

Lonnie
                              sounds like carb heaven. enjoy the rapid aging
                              Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
                              Before and after pics
                              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
                              Primal Sucess Story
                              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
                              Primal Journal
                              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Comment

Working...
                              X