No announcement yet.

Encouragement/Advice, please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm another Crossfitter, and I'll chime in that you don't necessarily need to eat before or after workouts- I actually feel best on days where I do the WOD before I eat anything at all that day (or minimal fat-based snacking), then give it another half hour or hour for my appetite to let me know it's ready for FOOD now, then chow down on something nice and meaty. I used to feel like I needed to "have the blood sugar" available to do the workout without fainting, but after reading about IF and growth hormone response after intense workouts started trying going without... and it has worked out fine, after an adjustment period.

Given that we seem to be similar in build and metabolism, I'd also encourage you to find another measure than the scale. I was internally ripping my hair out because my weight has stayed the same or slightly higher for three weeks now... but because most of my pants were in the laundry basket for washing, for the hell of it this morning I grabbed some old jeans I most definitely did not fit into two weeks ago. I'm wearing them now- the scale number didn't move, but I've clearly traded in some fat for muscle, and if you have the genes for it Crossfit will definitely add some muscle.

Comment

Great point LabRat! A primal diet isn't necessarily a weight loss diet, especially if you're doing intense strength workouts. It's more a 'weight normalization' diet in my opinion. I've gained 15 lbs since going primal, but my jeans fit exactly the same as at my low weight.

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm pleasantly surprised by all the helpful feedback

Conan: it's funny you made that suggestion for my pre-workout snack b/c that's exactly what I ended up doing yesterday. About an hour before class I had a scoop of whey, followed by an apple. I felt good, but still not at the energy levels I enjoyed while still eating oatmeal. In fact, the coach has been making comments like "we're finally tiring you out!" So I know it's not just my perception, I'm still dragging. I feel like I hit a wall about halfway into the workout each time, like there's just no strength left in my limbs.

On the bright side, I managed to get my protein intake to a whopping 183g yesterday, while keeping my carbs at only 119g! I'm going to try ditching the grapes and bananas, and I'm going to cut back on the nuts a bit, too. I found a really great site that lists the glycemic load for lots of foods (I read briefly about this in a book called "The Paleo Diet for Athletes"). If anyone is interested in the table:

http://www.carbs-information.com/glycemic-load.htm#food

LabRat, would you mind spelling out a couple of your acronyms for me? I'm sorry, but I am new to the forum and not quite hip to all the lingo. Like Crossfit...it's just a "conditioning" class at this MMA gym I go to, then I learned that Crossfit is a brand of this type of exercise, I guess? Anyway, curious to know what "WOD" and "IF" are. Maybe I should know these terms, but I haven't made it through the whole PB book yet, either.

I'm really not as interested in the scale as the other relevant cues that I'm cutting fat. It's the ever-presence of my belly that's driving me nuts. I understand the whole muscle-related weight gain issue (I've even been proud of fooling people who try to guess my weight , but I feel truly stuck this past few...four weeks. My clothes aren't getting any looser, and some even feel tighter b/c I'm putting on some gluteal size from all the squats! My ultimate goal is just to feel good and have energy, although I won't hesitate to admit that my concern over the amount of fat I have on my abdomen is definitely a vanity issue, too.

I love the encouragement; it helps just to hear that others experienced a lag in adaptation as I am, but are now experiencing success. I want this to be a way of life for me and my family, so I'm anxious to work out the kinks and regain my energy!

Comment

Elana I used to think that I needed a pre and post workout snack before going to the gym but now I donít even consider it, I think once you slowly train yourself not to have the snacks then you will find that you will complete your workouts with no issues, I used to think that I would faint or not be able to lift heavy if I didnít eat beforehand and to tell you the truth not eating has actually made my workouts better, after the initial shock of course!

Comment

While I've never really done the pre-workout snack, I used to do a post-workout 'recovery' drink. As a caveat, I'm doing regular ifasts, but I find that I generally have no problem doing workouts on an empty stomach. *especially* if it doesn't include a moderate amount of cardio.

Pre-primal, I used to go running in the mornings, and eventually I got to the point that I had to eat breakfast before running, otherwise I couldn't run the 4-5 miles I was running. I'd be fine for the first 20 minutes or so, and then the carb crash would happen, and the rest would be miserable.

I find now that if I do the same, while I don't have quite the carb-fueled energy level, it's more like the energizer bunny - I can just keep going. And going. And going.

I stopped taking the post-workout 'recovery' drink. It was 50g of carbs, and just too much. When I first stopped drinking it, I was concerned about the soreness factor. One thing that the recovery drink did seem to help with is not being as sore as I would have been. I largely switched to doing whey protein + omega 3's and actually have a lot less soreness than the other recovery drink.

Comment

Gah, sorry, I don't know where I leaped to that conclusion, but there it was and I dumped a bunch of acronyms on you. Yes, Crossfit is a branded program, but it is quite similar to what it sounds like you're doing- bottom line is intense workouts that often involve lifting heavy and will leave you feeling wiped in a way that 45 minutes on an elliptical never will. "WOD" stands for Workout Of the Day- just whatever that day's flavor of death is going to be.

IF isn't a Crossfit term, it stands for Intermittent Fasting. It's "primal" in the sense that a hunter-gatherer can't rely on regular meals, and it does seem to have some surprisingly good results for fat loss- and reading into it is interesting in terms for how the body handles energy systems when it's *not* getting fed every couple of hours. A quick once-over of the growth hormone stuff I was talking about is here- essentially, fasting triggers a growth hormone spike that's an adaptation to stop you from losing muscle just because the gazelle got away this time. It also encourages fat loss and muscle building- a lot of people round these parts have used IF to help them get over a fat-loss plateau. Me, I think it helps me, but I also need to do more structured and better timed "fasts" rather than just "skip lunch". ;P

Comment

Working...
              X