Parkour!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parkour!

So, today was our first family Parkour lesson with NZ Parkour Association!

It was a fun, two-hour intro class which they do once a month (first Sunday of the month), and there was a group of about 10-12 with DH being the oldest and DS being the youngest!

I had a great time. My legs petered out around the half-way mark, which was after a warm up, working on basic jumps and landings. We did a few other movements such as a side-leap thing (name i cannot remember) over a waist-high bar, and then some great quadriped movements there and back again, and then cat-walking on a ledge.

Then we started on rolls, which was fun but confusing -- though I managed to get one right -- and then we did some conditioning for the last half hour where I got chicken and didn't do two things, and my legs were wobbly which made doing the quadriped movement upstairs backwards really awkward and seriously difficult. Made me laugh the whole time.

The kid was absolutely game for the first hour or so, and then played with sticks and watched us, and then demanded ice cream (which he didn't get. he got eggs and oranges!).

All in all, an awesome time. They meet casually every sunday for some fun group training, and then the intro class is beginning of the month. We'll probably do several intro classes just to have the instruction and insight into the form.

Did I mention that I'm sore?

It's awesome!

Parkour, Parkour!

*jumps into dumpster*

Comment

I thought that was funny in The Office. We think of it a fair bit when we do these things.

Comment

I'm jealous, Zoe. Wish there was a parkour somethin'-somethin' where I am. I'd be curious to do an introduction, anyway.
        August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

This might be a start, Patrick.

Comment

Jealous!! Sounds awesome. I've always wanted to try and would be stoked to find a good starting point!
            You don't have to be sick to get better.
            Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
            Primal start: 1/2/2012
            My Primal Journal
            Living, loving and learning.

Comment

This might be a resource for you, Kakes.

And for anyone else who comes on the thread, it's easy. Go to google. Type in "parkour and [your city]" and guess what? Resources!

Comment

I wish there was parkour in NYC....

sounds awesome!
                I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

lol iniquity. there def is!

Comment

A great resource for Parkour training vids: DemonDrills - YouTube I subscribe to their channel and they post exercises pretty often.

Comment

cool. we are mostly practicing quadruped walk and jumping with precision and accuracy.

Comment

definitely do-able stuff on there.

Comment

I enjoy watching young folk doing Parkour around Bristol - it's very popular here. Not something I could ever do, but I certainly appreciate watching it done well.
                          F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
                            I enjoy watching young folk doing Parkour around Bristol - it's very popular here. Not something I could ever do, but I certainly appreciate watching it done well.
                            This guy is pretty well-known (he actually just show a commercial for an American bubble gum brand "5" gum) and he makes some really good points in this video. I find myself in agreement with most of what he says.

Choose Not To Fall - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                              This guy is pretty well-known (he actually just show a commercial for an American bubble gum brand "5" gum) and he makes some really good points in this video. I find myself in agreement with most of what he says.

Choose Not To Fall - YouTube
                              Cool - I love this guy's accent.

I'm scared of heights and have hypermobile joints - so frustrating. Otherwise I would love to have a go. On the other hand I managed to do a cartwheel last time I tried about 7 years ago... Perhaps I should forge a girly wimps version on grass.
                              F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Working...
                              X