Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Cool - I love this guy's accent.

I'm scared of heights and have hypermobile joints - so frustrating. Otherwise I would love to have a go. On the other hand I managed to do a cartwheel last time I tried about 7 years ago... Perhaps I should forge a girly wimps version on grass.
    Yeah everybody has to start somewhere. There's also a butt-load of training and tons of failure that doesn't (typically) get showcased, so what we end up seeing are those odd runs that are actually successful and stuff. The Apex movement parkour group posted a long video of such stuff to remind everyone that it's all about practice and not being discouraged when things don't happen. Goes for all sports, clearly.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

As a beginner, we are not far off the ground at all. With our jumps, we were jumping from the ground to a stair, and then from the ground to the ground.

On the demon drills, there are several things at the 'beginner level" for "games and drills" where you aren't even off the ground (or if you are, you aren't very far).

There is no requirement to go up high, or do anything beyond what you feel comfortable doing. That's part of the philosophy of parkour.

Comment

Hey, there's a Dunedin group. Awesome.

I might have to look into this.
        Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
        5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
        Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
        TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
        bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Cool. I might have a go by myself in the park then, jumping on and off tree stumps and the like. I like the aspects that Parkour is whole body stuff and has an artistic quasi-dance element.

This has given me food for thought, as I do fitness hula hooping with a few stunts. I'll challenge myself to walking along the top of a low wall while hooping. I can do small jumps forward or on the spot while hooping so I'll see if I can manage jumping up onto a low object with it as well.
          F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Ah, I get this now. This is that running and jumping over buildings and walls thing that I saw two French guys do on TV a few years ago.

Comment

Yes.

Comment

This guy (and his mates) are pretty cool:

Urban Playground (Bristol Parkour) - YouTube
                F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

This looks awesome!!

I found one near me! I'm going to have to try it out!
                  Parkour in MA
                  Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

I might try this once my back feels less sore. I think I would need to lose some more weight to do all the jumps safely, but it looks very good for all round fitness and most importantly, fun.

Comment

I recently went back to parkour lessons after over a year (at Urban Evolution, if you're in Northern VA). I think I broke a Primal rule by going back full-throttle, though, and now I'm all hurty

Still, it's awesome!
                      [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRdnWCd/]

Comment

I was sore all week until this morning (Sun-Thurs). So DS and I are going to do a training today (in the rain no less).

I'm going to do the quadrupedal walking at the office, though.

Comment

So, my body is still sore from all of the quadrupedal walking stuff that i'm doing (backwards and forwards and now in the office stairwell going up the stairs backwards, which is really tough and totally develops your brain, i think).

We didn't go to training on Sun because I was zonked between just a long work week and also having a cold. It's not a bad one -- and we kicked it in 3 days, but still. It's from the kindy. I'm trying to figure out how to super-boost our immune systems before each school session, and so far, this has been the most successful (least illnesses in a session). But, still, had to miss parkour.

This weekend is also roller derby NSO-ing. Sunday is a day off at home just resting again, because I work on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by ArrGee View Post
                            I recently went back to parkour lessons after over a year (at Urban Evolution, if you're in Northern VA). I think I broke a Primal rule by going back full-throttle, though, and now I'm all hurty

Still, it's awesome!
                            ArrGee,
                            Thanks for the heads up on the NOVA place. I keep wanting to try parkour but have yet to drag my ass to it. I'm down the road in Fredericksburg and work in Fairfax (Belvoir). So hopefully I can get up there at some point.
                            "I did it for money and for a woman. I didn't get the money, and I didn't get the woman"

Comment

Originally posted by Dice Monkey View Post
                              ArrGee,
                              Thanks for the heads up on the NOVA place. I keep wanting to try parkour but have yet to drag my ass to it. I'm down the road in Fredericksburg and work in Fairfax (Belvoir). So hopefully I can get up there at some point.
                              You should definitely check them out. They have a 2-hr intro class on Saturday mornings. I should probably do one again to refresh on basic skills.
                              [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRdnWCd/]

Comment

finally getting less thigh burn from jumping and quadrupedal walking. now i have to do more stairs in the quadrupedal way. upstairs backwards, down stairs forwards. fun, but not easy.

missed training this weekend because I was TOO zonked. fingers crossed for next weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X