Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to triathlon training and confused about carbs!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daemonized View Post
    Going very low carb and doing endurance training isn't a good combination. Fortunately, there are plenty of good primal carbohydrate options. I am a huge of fan sweet potatoes and berries and I add fruit to my diet during the warmer more active months of the year.
    I don't know, I can go for a while and have quite a bit of energy remaining on a low carb, but still high calorie/high fat diet. I dont do it often, as I think it is counterproductive to good health, especially being that I am now 39, but when I do, I feel just fine.

Comment

I would suggest focusing on interval sprint training equally as much as endurance training. Also, you will never need to actually go at a triathlon distance in order to be sufficiently ready to perform well in a triathlon. I knew a guy that did 3 olympic length triathlons a year, all he did was Bikram yoga.

Comment

Vega and Hammer make a good fuel gels for during race energy needs. I don't believe a sprint or even an olympic length should require any food source of energy during the race, not at least if you have done everything properly before hand. I ran a few olympic lengths back in the day( I actually should have tried to pursue a career as a professional triathlete), and I was just fine without an energy gel or any other type of fuel/electrolyte replacement. It was almost as if my body rejected these things the one or two times I tried to consume them during a race, including gatoraide(which I usually loved drinking back then, but during the race consumption of even just one drink made me want to puke).
        Last edited by morganpmiller; 04-26-2012, 04:44 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=jakey;807126]hi, disclaimer - i don't do triathlons, nor do i think they're a particularly healthy form of exercise.QUOTE]

Sometimes, especially when you are young, it's fun to be a little crazy and do things that are fun regardless of whether they are particularly healthy-i.e. getting drunk with friends, smoking a little pot here and there, engaging in risk taking behavior of all kinds, and running triathlons.

Comment

You rock! Thanks!

Comment

It is entirely possible to do very well in a race just doing a good rigorous form of yoga. I remember when I went on a climb of katadhan and several other ranges, and all I did before doing them was do my yoga practice. The boys (DH and his best friend) were like "you're going to be SORE!" and all kinds of stuff. But I was fine -- no problems with my feet, my legs, no tiredness, it was easy. Enjoyed it.

So, yeah.

I just liked the training. And if you like that, then you do that and no worries.

But all of my trainings were sprint-based. Meaning, instead of doing a long, slow swim in the pool, I did sprints of various distances with shortened rest periods in between. Instead of doing long rides, I mostly did hills (which functions like intervals). For running, I'd do an occasional long-slow (for my distance), but mostly focused on speed intervals.

It worked nicely. Kept training times down (i had a lot to do between law school, working part time, family life, commuting, etc) and created nice fitness.

Gotta do what works for you.

Comment

Best time to ensure your muscles are utilizing carbs is directly after a workout. Carbs are driven into the muscles rapidly when consumed at that time. This would be a good time for a banana or your dried fruit and a quick-digesting protein ( I use whey powder)

Comment

Sweet potatoes, taro root and cassava root are great primal carb sources too. I have athletes I coach who are doing Ironman triathlons and running crazy long distances and they all eat lots of sweet potatoes, We shoot for 150-180g/day of carbs on training days, 100g on off days. Many have added white rice back into the mix and have seen no real down side. Lara bars are a good packaged source of calories. You can keto-adapt to a point. For more on the subject you might try reading about Metabolic Efficiency. Bob Seebohar (US olympic tri team nutritionist) is an advocate of a high fat diet for athletes. Studies have show that the refeeding window is a bit of a misnomer, all the the benefits are only realized if you are doing another workout later in the day. If you can't refuel for a couple of hours its not that big of a deal. Short distance racing requires very high intensity, practice it.

Comment

Working...
                  X