No announcement yet.

Anyone out there a tennis player?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I play twice or thrice a week. I play in a singles league at a local club. I love the game. I went primal partly to improve my fitness so that i could get better at the game.

I am definitely better from a fitness point of view. I can hold out for three sets of fairly intensive singles reasonably well. UEs previously attributed to sloppy footwork have started to come down a lot.
    Few but ripe.

Comment

I was talking with someone who said they play tennis in theirs all the time (tore up a weak pair -- bought a sturdier type and loves them on the court).

Comment

I'm by no means spectacular, but I do play tennis now and again. I've been playing since childhood, never competitively, but it's a great sport to be able to go out and enjoy. I'd definitely like to work on my game more and improve so that games are more fun, but probably not compete.

(The sport I've never played in any organized fashion, but really want to compete in is hockey!)
        Healthy Bucket List:
        • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
        • Hike the Appalachian Trail
        • Do a real pull-up
        • Run a 5k
        • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

Comment

I play several times a month with 3 other wild women; we take gossip and margaritas more seriously than the game.
          This month I've stayed away from alcohol and horrible sugar mix and had delish green tea with lime with me.
          It was great and I played much better, kicked ass actually. Next week I'm wearing the five fingers.

Some of my best teenage memories are summer nights at the rec center; playing tennis and kissing my boyfriend

Comment

hi!!! I play tennis too!!! 4 or 5 times a week with tournament (single and team).
            I like paleo and like playing in IF and my performances are getting better and better (I was quite happy of them before, but now in third sets I run like the first!!!).
            I would like to know how you recover when you have a tough match (and win!!!) and then the next day a thougher one...what do u eat at the end to recover and to reestablish the glycogen store of the muscle for the next day?
            Thank a lot
            Originally posted by 70in2012 View Post
            I play twice or thrice a week. I play in a singles league at a local club. I love the game. I went primal partly to improve my fitness so that i could get better at the game.

I am definitely better from a fitness point of view. I can hold out for three sets of fairly intensive singles reasonably well. UEs previously attributed to sloppy footwork have started to come down a lot.

Comment

Hi Thomas, I usually eat fruits immediately after the match (bananas, apples and or oranges). This seems to work.
              I think quality (bioavailability) is more important than quantity. I sip a lot of water during play as well.
              Few but ripe.

Comment

I drink 2 liters or more too in my longest matches!!!!
                is it enough for you to take 2 or 3 fruit to replenish glicogen store for the next day match?
                thanks a lot

Originally posted by 70in2012 View Post
                Hi Thomas, I usually eat fruits immediately after the match (bananas, apples and or oranges). This seems to work.
                I think quality (bioavailability) is more important than quantity. I sip a lot of water during play as well.

Comment

Originally posted by thomas.dri View Post
                  I drink 2 liters or more too in my longest matches!!!!
                  is it enough for you to take 2 or 3 fruit to replenish glicogen store for the next day match?
                  thanks a lot
                  Hey Thomas - I'm a tennis player too and played tournaments for many years. If you've had a long match and want to make sure glycogen stores are up for the next day, I'd eat some sweet potatoes or other starchy root vegetable the night before. I agree with some fruit right after the match (I've developed a fondness for watermelon with a little salt on it after a match as a gatorade substitute
                  sigpic

Comment

festerday night i played till midnight (and won ;-) )and then ate 2 bananas and a apple with ten g of bcaa today i feel quite well even if i slept non the 8 normal for me hour...this evening i have to play a tough match at 1730...we will see.....
                    thanks

Comment

with starchy root vegetable what do u mean? it is quite difficult to find here (in italy) sweet potatoes...

Comment

with starchy root vegetable what do u mean? it is quite difficult to find here (in italy) sweet potatoes...
                        Beets, parsnips, turnips, yams, rutabagas. Even just plain old white potatoes or white rice would be fine in this scenario, imo.
                        sigpic

Comment

Ok i'll try like this!!! But what is the difference between sweet and plain potato? From a primal point of view i mean.....

Comment

Ok i'll try like this!!! But what is the difference between sweet and plain potato? From a primal point of view i mean.....
                            Sweet potatoes are nutrient dense and contain a lot of starch

Plain (white) potatoes are nutrient poor and contain a lot of starch

As long as your getting plenty of nutrients elsewhere in your diet, the nutrient scarcity of a plain potato isn't much of an issue. And if you're an active athlete, you needn't worry about the starch in either making you fat.
                            sigpic

Comment

Avid recreational tennis player from Malta here I play 2-3 times a week. Since switching to primal, I've really started noticing an improvement in endurance and fatigue / lucidity management

Grok on!

Comment

Hey guys,

Cool to see to see there are some paleo tennis players around here! I am actually a coach and run an instructional website Online Tennis Instruction - Learn How To Play Your Best Tennis, Free Tennis Tips And Tennis Videos! for anybody interested.

Paleo has certainly changed my life and I have tons more energy etc. ... I coach some high level tennis players that train 4 hours every day. I am wondering if anybody here has any experience with an intense training program like that on a paleo diet ?

Personally I don't compete anymore and only play a little Tennis here and there so I can't really try it out myself and I am still hesitant to recommend it to them.

Djokovic is gluten-free but I don't know if he is paleo. Anybody here know that ?

Cheers

Florian

Comment

Working...
                                X