Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I active enough to be eating more carbs??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stacking, what would you recommend?

Comment

Based on the little amount of information I have read in the thread, you claim that you feel as if "you are dying" when you perform intense exercise on low carbs. It sounds to me that, with your age and activity levels, you may just need to increase your caloric intake substantially.

Also, at your age, you should be focusing on the fundamentals instead of trying to fast track using all the "Internet fads of the day". No matter what fad is popular now, they come and go but fundamentals will stay with you until the day you die.

For starters, have you ever tracked your daily caloric intake on an online tracker such as FitDay? Have you compared that to a reputable BMR calculator to ensure that you are getting adequate food intake? Although I suspect that more carbs may be part of the answer, again I suspect that total caloric intake might be the bigger problem. If you are lifting heavy, as you say, you need to not be in a caloric debt if you are looking to pack on muscle.

Also, why are you doing HIIT so often? If I'm reading this correctly, you don't even give yourself rest days. I realize you are young, but you could stand to give yourself some downtime. It may seem counter intuitive, but introducing rest days could ultimately lead to improvements faster than the stress your putting yourself through now.
      http://stackingplates.com/

Comment

I give my self rest days on sat. and sun. sometimes I'll do HIIT on sat. Also, I don't think i'm in caloric debt anymore, i've been eating ALOT lately, I just want to make sure i'm not eating an unsignificant amount of carbs.

Comment

I mean a significant amount of un-necessary carbs. See the thing is, I have a high appetite, ALL the time, which is why i'm wondering if carbs may be the role here, because even after being stuffed, my appetite is still going. I don't know if this is my body naturally telling me "either eat more, or stop exercising" or if it's the carbs causing spikes and thus increased appetite.

Comment

Again, this is just an assumption based on what I'm hearing, but I would be willing to bet you need to increase your caloric intake substantially. With your age and activity level, you should be above 3000 calories easy. When you eat healthy food, that is a ton...

IF Calculator

This is just a tool, so don't use it as gospel but play around with it to get an idea.
            http://stackingplates.com/

Comment

You need to eat more and get strong. Don't worry about more this or that, eat clean, and eat a lot. Make sure it is balanced for every portion of meat 2-3 portions of veg or other clean carbs and don't be scarred of the oil and fat.
              Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
              PS
              Don't forget to play!

Comment

Originally posted by samiamm View Post
                I mean a significant amount of un-necessary carbs. See the thing is, I have a high appetite, ALL the time, which is why i'm wondering if carbs may be the role here, because even after being stuffed, my appetite is still going. I don't know if this is my body naturally telling me "either eat more, or stop exercising" or if it's the carbs causing spikes and thus increased appetite.
                Originally posted by StackingPlates View Post
                Again, this is just an assumption based on what I'm hearing, but I would be willing to bet you need to increase your caloric intake substantially. With your age and activity level, you should be above 3000 calories easy. When you eat healthy food, that is a ton...

IF Calculator

This is just a tool, so don't use it as gospel but play around with it to get an idea.

Are you gaining weight?

If not, you are not eating enough. This is not rocket surgery- if you are eating healthy foods, active, and hungry all the time, you need to eat more. Plain and simple. Your appetite and satiety signals work fine when they're not being overwhelmed with fake foods. If you're lifting "heavy" (still don't know what that means, because despite repeated requests you have not answered) you're going to have to gain weight to get stronger, especially at 6' 130#.

Just doing heavy compound lifts 3x week with liniar progression would take 3000-4000 calories/day to recover from, never mind all the HIIT and cardio. Knock that shit off- once a week, TOPS. There was an MMA fighter on here that's primal and posted what his training diet looked like. 4000 calories of primal/paleo food is a shit-ton.

Start your day with 6 eggs, a tablespoon of butter, and 1/4lb of bacon. Post workout, blend a baked sweet potato with 30g of whey protien powder. Lunch have two chicken breasts over mixed greens drenched in olive oil and some white rice. Dinner is a 14oz sirloin with another sweet potato and veggies roasted in butter or olive oil. Desert throw in a cup of Greek yogurt, T of honey and 3/4 cup mixed berries.

That should get you close to what you should be eating to recover from that activity level. If you're still hungry after all that food, I'll be impressed.

Comment

When I mean "heavy" I mean heavy for me bro, i'm pretty damn weak. I can only deadlift about 200, squat maybe 150, bench about 100-110. I max out at every work out because this is how I was told to stimulate growth hormones, so I don't mean HEAVY like squatting 500, benching 300, etc. I just mean that I'm maxing out on every exercise, every set. I actually do this thing now where I add an extra set to the end of my sets, and go up in weights about 5 pounds, lift to failure to see how much I can do. Next week I up the weights by 5, if I don't do at least 5-7 reps, I go down or stay at the same weight. If I do more, I might up it next week.

and gosh damn thats a lot of food!!

It feels like i'm eating too much when I get home and finish everything my moms made. Today she made 24 ounces of chicken, If I was to finish that all in 2-3 meals, I feel like i'm eating too much.

I am forced to eat at highschool at around 10am regardless.

Today this is what I ate

Morning
                  3 eggs scrambled with some onions and other green veggie (wasn't sure what it was, mom made it) with an Avocado smoothie made with 1 avocado and some almond milk
                  Mid morning snack - 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds
                  10 am. Salad with olives and about 1 serving of tuna (I got a salad at the salad bar and bought a tuna sandwich, scraped the tuna off, not sure how much tuna was on there, i'll just say one serving)
                  3 pm Salad with about ill say 8-10 oz. of lean ground chicken and an oz. of almond nuts
                  (Power walked about a mile to the gym because it was nice out, figured why not, lifted chests, shoulders, triceps, power walked back)
                  6 pm about another 10-12 oz. of ground chicken, an avocado smoothie, and in an effort to get more calories without eating carbs, another oz of almonds.
                  8 pm My muscles felt sore and i felt kind of weakish, so I said f*** it my body is telling me something, ate about a cup of sweet potato (1 large) and a half cup of almond milk.

Now i'm sitting here writing this, and after all the bs of eating just fats and protein, the sweet potato is what has curbed my appetite, and I feel better. That's a regular day of my eating, minus the sweet potato, and I feel like I'm eating too much.
                  Last edited by samiamm; 03-07-2012, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Ok so i'm 18, 6 foot, and 129 pounds, as you can see on the skinny side maybe even underweight. I do strength training mondays wednesdays and fridays, and I lift HEAVY to put some muscle on my skinny frame. On Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, and SOMETIMES sundays, I do HIIT cardio (high intensity interval training) where I sprint for 30 secs, rest for 30 secs, sprint for 30 secs, 9 times. I also power walk for 30 minutes 2 times a day, because I walk this old lady's dog around for her for 30 mins. so I figure I might as well get some extra exercise. I powerwalk him at night for 15 minutes. Then i'm in gym class 8th period in highschool, which really isn't saying much. Whenever I go extremely lowcarb (20-50 grams) i feel like im dying. Am I active enough to be adding things such as sweet potatoes, squash, etc. etc. into my diet?
                    Either you are overtraining or you are not weightlifting heavy enough. I can remember starting weightlifting myself. Even though I was very active, fit and strong while growing up weight lifting killed me at first. And lifting so damned heavy at the start made my so called hardgainer ass start packing on muscle.

You think so?
                    What weight should I be at, I just turned 18
                    I can only speak from anecdotal evidence, but here goes. At 18 I weighed ~ 70kg and I was considered very skinny. I may have had an awesome six pack but otherwise I looked like I was starving. That was despite my eating a lot. A few years later I hit the gym, and I hit 85kg the first time and everyone told me I looked better, healthier and taller (). When I hit 90kg (second time actively trying to gain size) people told me I looked like I ought to. Well proportioned was the gist etc.
                    I have a chronic illness which keeps making me lose weight so this is the third time I've tried building muscle. Right now I am 76kg and I am still told I need a decent meal. This time I am eating primal so I am sporting a four pack thanks to that and the two most awesome ab exercises on the planet (squat and deadlift)
                    Anyway, the same observations hold true of every other skinny guy I've seen lift weights. Getting up to at least 80kg makes you look and feel much healthier. Also, feminine interest increases
                    A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

However, in an effort to cut some body fat and lower my body fat percentage and allow my abs to show as I work on them
                      Missed this before. At your body weight you have to be way below 10% body fat. If you can't see your abs at that weight than its likely you don't have anything to show. Build them first to show them off. When you see all these lean guys with ripped abs (such as Brad Pitt in Fight club) realise that they started from a muscular build at least 20 kg's heavier than yours and then cut down the fat.
                      A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

In my opinion you should focus on weight lifting and eating LOTS of food. HIIT maybe once a week. 6' 130# is significantly underweight. Try to get 9 solid hours of sleep per night and one or two off days each week. As far as eating goes: MACK DOWN! and enjoy it! Keep it primal, but eat to your desire and be sure to include a serving of fruit with each meal and starch or rice after your workout. You said that you always have an appetite. Listen to this and eat. Im 6'1 180# and I'm pretty damn skinny.

As far as weight-lifting, try to do functional, explosive exercises in the ~5 rep ~4 set range. And keep your form in check. Supplement this with various stability and core exercises and you should see significant gains.

Good Luck

Comment

wow, thanks for the flood of responses guys, I didnt think I'd receive this much advice lol?

I got another quick question, a couple of you are on here stating about how "im 6,0 6,1 and 150-170 and i'm considered/was considered very skinny" but if you look at the BMI charts, 72 in. and 6 foot and 140 pounds at the LEAST is considered healthy?? so what does that mean

Comment

Top 10 Reasons Why The BMI Is Bogus : NPR

Or just skip to this -- which is probably the best reason:
                            But bone is denser than muscle and twice as dense as fat, so a person with strong bones, good muscle tone and low fat will have a high BMI.
                            Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
                            Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

Comment

wow, thanks for the flood of responses guys, I didnt think I'd receive this much advice lol?

I got another quick question, a couple of you are on here stating about how "im 6,0 6,1 and 150-170 and i'm considered/was considered very skinny" but if you look at the BMI charts, 72 in. and 6 foot and 140 pounds at the LEAST is considered healthy?? so what does that mean

Christian Bale is blessed with great genetics, but this is him from "Batman Begins" and "The Machinist"
                              He's listed as between 6' and 6'2" and weighed 120 pounds and 190 pounds in each role. I know using actors and athletes as examples is generally frowned upon, but this is a great example of what a thin, weak frame looks like versus a strong, healthy one.

Comment

BMI is for the average couch potato population. If you work out and put on muscle in your case a lot of muscle then you will be overweight according to BMI but you will not be fat. If you just eat more without working out you will also be overweight according to BMI but you will probably be fat as well.
                                % body fat is more important than BMI I am 6' down to 182lbs (still overweight according to BMI but 6 pack is showing because I have a lower % of fat (currently around 14%).
                                Leigh Peele Blog Archive Body Fat Pictures and Percentages
                                Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                                PS
                                Don't forget to play!

Comment

Working...
                                X