Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barefoot/minimalist running beginner tips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Barefoot/minimalist running beginner tips

    Morning fellow grokstars,

    I thought I'd share a post that I've recently written over at my blog about beginning barefoot running. With spring right around the corner, depending on your geographic location, and the advocation by mark to wear/use minimalist shoes and run barefoot, I thought I'd provide my opinion on the matter.

    I've been running barefoot and occasionally minimalist for over a year now and I've learned a few things in regards to the transition. Let me know what you guys think.

    Thanks for the time,
    Aaron/Puff
    Follow my blog where I discuss Primal Life post Gastric Bypass surgery and Barefoot/Minimalist running.

  • #2
    Perfect timing. Tomorrow is my first day. I will walk on gravel.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Tneah View Post
      Perfect timing. Tomorrow is my first day. I will walk on gravel.
      I've tried running on gravel....it hurts. I remember being barefoot all of the time as a kid and by the end of summer my feet were really tough, then we had to go to school.....

      Comment


      • #4
        Sweet thanks for this! I'm a runner and was just starting to look into minimal shoes. I want something I can wear for running and also for hiking. Do you have any suggestions on brands or types?

        Comment


        • #5
          I've just moved to a house surrounded by 2500 acres of fields and forest. I've been thinking of barefoot running also but I guess the amount of deer shit and branches etc would make it a bad idea to go barefoot?
          Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

          https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Tneah View Post
            Perfect timing. Tomorrow is my first day. I will walk on gravel.
            Originally posted by Lynna View Post
            I've tried running on gravel....it hurts. I remember being barefoot all of the time as a kid and by the end of summer my feet were really tough, then we had to go to school.....
            This is how I screwed up my Achilles.
            DON'T DO IT!

            I ran over trail rock/gravel in my V's during a night race and now I'm in an Achilles compression sleeve. Also it took 3 months to heal up.

            Try to stay on the streets/grass/track as much as possible until you KNOW your legs are strong enough.
            --Trish (Bork)
            TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
            http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
            FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Interesting idea, I might try it.

              One thing that I found trying to train for a half marathon in VFF's is even though I walk and hike a lot in them, I still really had to build up the distance in them or risk my achilles. When I added distance slowly, all was fine.
              www.back-to-primal.blogspot.com or on Facebook here

              My training journal if anyone is interested

              Be strong to be useful

              Comment


              • #8
                Don't forget to check out these:

                Sh*t Barefoot Runners Say

                and the follow up, Sh*t Runners Say To Barefoot Runners

                ;-)

                Comment


                • #9
                  The key thing to follow is to do a very slow build up on the barefoot time...not just running but staying barefoot in everyday life it helps your barefoot running. It took me a couple years to adjust fully to barefoot running and I made all the common mistakes of over doing it etc...I learned the hard way. There are lots of subtle things about going barefoot you have to learn yourself that can't be coached...the big thing is learning body awareness...that takes time no matter how many tips and helpful hints you get from others. Its best to get some basic barefoot running info at first and learn the fine points yourself as you go along.

                  As far as surfaces to run stay mostly on pavement in the beginning then after a few weeks start mixing in a bit of grass and trails. Don't worry about gravel in the beginning...mostly just stay away from it ...pointy rocks are the hardest thing to run thru so save that for later when you have some confidence built up.

                  I'm really looking forward to switching back to barefoot soon for the warmer months...I've ran barefoot from mid March thru mid November every year since 2005.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by outdoorgirl View Post
                    Sweet thanks for this! I'm a runner and was just starting to look into minimal shoes. I want something I can wear for running and also for hiking. Do you have any suggestions on brands or types?
                    The following companies make minimal or "barefoot" shoes. Merrell, New Balance, Vibram Five Fingers, Vivobarefoot, (Nike Free, but they aren't as minimal as some, but were a good transition shoe for me), Altra. Teva makes some really minimal sandals I think they're called the Zilch and they have some shoes close to minimal. You can also go with the Luna Sandals by Barefoot Ted http://lunasandals.com/ or you can do what Barefoot Ken Bob Saxton recommends and just go barefoot easing into it as your feet toughen - Barefoot Ken Bob's site -Running Barefoot. I attended one of his workshops and he's pretty cool (for a vegan).

                    Some people here have bought the Feiyue, kung fu shoes, they're canvass sneakers, but nice and cheap.

                    I personally like the Merrells, as I can wear them everyday to work as well as for walking/running.
                    Last edited by Lynna; 02-27-2012, 07:37 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by rockrunner View Post
                      The key thing to follow is to do a very slow build up on the barefoot time...not just running but staying barefoot in everyday life it helps your barefoot running. It took me a couple years to adjust fully to barefoot running and I made all the common mistakes of over doing it etc...I learned the hard way. There are lots of subtle things about going barefoot you have to learn yourself that can't be coached...the big thing is learning body awareness...that takes time no matter how many tips and helpful hints you get from others. Its best to get some basic barefoot running info at first and learn the fine points yourself as you go along.

                      As far as surfaces to run stay mostly on pavement in the beginning then after a few weeks start mixing in a bit of grass and trails. Don't worry about gravel in the beginning...mostly just stay away from it ...pointy rocks are the hardest thing to run thru so save that for later when you have some confidence built up.

                      I'm really looking forward to switching back to barefoot soon for the warmer months...I've ran barefoot from mid March thru mid November every year since 2005.
                      Agree with most everything said here. I use Fila Skeletoes and they have a denser bottom and are a little more forgiving with gravel and other non smooth surfaces. Go slow! A little at a time. Trust me! you are not used to this. It's great when you get there but it takes time and you will know some pain if you try to rush it! And I'm only talking about minimal not barefoot. You'll be glad you did in the long run but go gradual. More gradual than you think is gradual.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Lynna View Post
                        The following companies make minimal or "barefoot" shoes. Merrell, New Balance, Vibram Five Fingers, Vivobarefoot, (Nike Free, but they aren't as minimal as some, but were a good transition shoe for me), Altra. Teva makes some really minimal sandals I think they're called the Zilch and they have some shoes close to minimal. You can also go with the Luna Sandals by Barefoot Ted Luna Sandals - Minimal Running Sandals / Huaraches inspired by the Tarahumara and designed by Barefoot Ted or you can do what Barefoot Ken Bob Saxton recommends and just go barefoot easing into it as your feet toughen - Barefoot Ken Bob's site -Running Barefoot. I attended one of his workshops and he's pretty cool (for a vegan).

                        Some people here have bought the Feiyue, kung fu shoes, they're canvass sneakers, but nice and cheap.

                        I personally like the Merrells, as I can wear them everyday to work as well as for walking/running.

                        Thank you so much for the advice! I was actually looking at Merrells. I wasn't sure what kind to get though. Is there much of a difference between the true glove, run dash, run bare, or run pace? And how true is the sizing usually? I'm not sure if they're offered anywhere around me so I might have to order online.
                        Last edited by outdoorgirl; 03-02-2012, 07:14 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Lynna View Post
                          The following companies make minimal or "barefoot" shoes. Merrell, New Balance, Vibram Five Fingers, Vivobarefoot, (Nike Free, but they aren't as minimal as some, but were a good transition shoe for me), Altra. Teva makes some really minimal sandals I think they're called the Zilch and they have some shoes close to minimal. You can also go with the Luna Sandals by Barefoot Ted Luna Sandals - Minimal Running Sandals / Huaraches inspired by the Tarahumara and designed by Barefoot Ted or you can do what Barefoot Ken Bob Saxton recommends and just go barefoot easing into it as your feet toughen - Barefoot Ken Bob's site -Running Barefoot. I attended one of his workshops and he's pretty cool (for a vegan).

                          Some people here have bought the Feiyue, kung fu shoes, they're canvass sneakers, but nice and cheap.

                          I personally like the Merrells, as I can wear them everyday to work as well as for walking/running.

                          I'm looking to replace my Nike Free shoes, soon, and the Merrells do have that kind of look to them; they're on the pricey side, though.
                          If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Ah spring is here; I finally get to shed my vibrams and go back to natural.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I wonder if anyone can help - I recently injured a calf muscle and it is now pretty much healed and I have the go-ahead to start running again. I have some Vivobarefoots which I was just getting used to before the injury happened. Do you think I should start out in these or stick to conventional trainers until I have built up a bit of strength?

                              Any advice gratefully received!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X