Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is best martial art for bar fights?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is best martial art for bar fights?

2011 was my year for strength, 2012 for fighting.

i'm looking for something that's direct, simple, and effective.

Krav maga. Except that you might get arrested. Really.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

amazing, thank you! i see clearly now that i have a future with this krav maga.

i feel right now the same way i felt when i first discovered primal and when i first discovered 'starting strength'.

Comment

The only time I ever walked out of there not thinking I was better prepared to defend myself- first class included- was when I partnered with the 4'10" instructor and got my ass handed to me. But she was kind of like a rabid Chihuahua and scared everybody. (awesome, just scary)

Keep in mind, though, that you're not learning holds and submissions. You are learning how to hurt people. Actually, now that I think about it, maybe this isn't the best for bar fights. It's designed for life and death situations. I knew a guy who went from Krav to amature MMA- and had to unlearn about half of what he knew because it wasn't legal.
        http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Comment

I know the answer to this one....clearly it's Drunken Boxing...ever see "The Legend of the Drunken Master" with Jackie Chan?
          http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
            Actually, now that I think about it, maybe this isn't the best for bar fights. It's designed for life and death situations. I knew a guy who went from Krav to amature MMA- and had to unlearn about half of what he knew because it wasn't legal.
            A bar fight can easily become a life and death situation. There are no rules in a bar fight. Krav Maga is quick and brutal yet efficient. Keep a cool head and know when to stop thrashing someone and just get out.
            You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by Daemonized View Post
              I know the answer to this one....clearly it's Drunken Boxing...ever see "The Legend of the Drunken Master" with Jackie Chan?
              buabhhahhahaha no, i'll have to catch that one. but i do remember a drunken tiger move in tekken 3.

hey, i'll keep you guys posted in this thread. i expect my first bar fight in august 2012.

Comment

Overall I'd say the full contact sport disciplines would be the most effective to know -- wrestling, bjj, boxing, judo, etc -- simply because the techniques that don't work well quickly get weeded out in competition. There is no substitute for being able to practice moves against a fully resisting opponent, and your partner will never let you practice your favorite eye gouge or touch of death.

Definately look for an instructor who is polite, professional, open and sober-minded about their business and art. The nature of the subject tends to attract more woo than its fair share.

Comment

I'd be careful with BJJ and wrestling- or anything that encourages you to go to the ground. Bodies on the ground are really easy for any idiot to damage. If you're on your feet, it's easier to deal with multiple opponents. Because the guy you deck probably has friends and probably isn't looking to fight fair.

Comment

I'd be careful with BJJ and wrestling- or anything that encourages you to go to the ground. Bodies on the ground are really easy for any idiot to damage. If you're on your feet, it's easier to deal with multiple opponents. Because the guy you deck probably has friends and probably isn't looking to fight fair.
                    If he has friends who'll kick you in the head when you're down on the ground you're pretty much done for anyway. The 3 against 1 or more bar fights that I've seen either end very badly for the guy singled out or he runs like the wind out of there.

Most bar fights start with shoving, followed by punches being thrown and if the fight is not broken up soon at that stage by either onlookers or bouncers it will go to the ground. If you have grappling experience your best bet is to finish the fight at the initial shoving stage by tossing your opponent hard to the ground and then hauling ass out of there while he recovers.

Comment

Originally posted by Legbiter View Post
                      If he has friends who'll kick you in the head when you're down on the ground you're pretty much done for anyway. The 3 against 1 or more bar fights that I've seen either end very badly for the guy singled out or he runs like the wind out of there.

Most bar fights start with shoving, followed by punches being thrown and if the fight is not broken up soon at that stage by either onlookers or bouncers it will go to the ground. If you have grappling experience your best bet is to finish the fight at the initial shoving stage by tossing your opponent hard to the ground and then hauling ass out of there while he recovers.
                      It's easier to run if you're never off your feet

You're right- bad odds are- bad. I'm not saying DON'T learn how to grapple- just that it shouldn't be your first instinct.

They liked to tell us stories in class. One of them was a Krav instructor who was out one night with a friend who was I belive a professional BJJ fighter or something like that? Anyway, his style was "ground and pound." They got jumped and he took a guy to the ground as his skill set demanded while the Krav instructor stayed on his feet and dealt with the rest of them. By the time he got to his friend that went to the ground, they said his own girlfriend couldn't recognize him.

Comment

The best martial art is one that keeps you out of bar fights.

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
                        Best block, no be there.

Comment

It's easier to run if you're never off your feet

You're right- bad odds are- bad. I'm not saying DON'T learn how to grapple- just that it shouldn't be your first instinct.

They liked to tell us stories in class. One of them was a Krav instructor who was out one night with a friend who was I belive a professional BJJ fighter or something like that? Anyway, his style was "ground and pound." They got jumped and he took a guy to the ground as his skill set demanded while the Krav instructor stayed on his feet and dealt with the rest of them. By the time he got to his friend that went to the ground, they said his own girlfriend couldn't recognize him.
                          Krav Maga may very well be the most effective, overall, since it emphasizes killing that motherfucker with the bottle on the bar or kicking his testicles in and soccer-kicking them in the throat once they're down and running away the moment they stop moving. But unless Krav Maga training involves actually getting punched in the face (and I'm truly ignorant on that subject) I expect they'd react similarly to most purists when getting jabbed in the nose and give up after a takedown in short order.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy View Post
                            The best martial art is one that keeps you out of bar fights.
                            This.

Comment

Originally posted by Legbiter View Post
                              Krav Maga may very well be the most effective, overall, since it emphasizes killing that motherfucker with the bottle on the bar or kicking his testicles in and soccer-kicking them in the throat once they're down and running away the moment they stop moving. But unless Krav Maga training involves actually getting punched in the face (and I'm truly ignorant on that subject) I expect they'd react similarly to most purists when getting jabbed in the nose and give up after a takedown in short order.
                              That is an awesome description of it.

Part of the training is getting hit. Not deliberatly in the nose, but even in level one you're holding the pad that your partner is belting. They aren't so soft that you can't feel the hits. Beyond that, you're sparring. In safety gear- but you're also hitting each other as hard as you both agree is acceptable. It is about training you to take hits as much as give them, since you're right- getting hit throws most people for a loop.

Of course, you guys are right that the best one is the one that keeps you out of the fights at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X