Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is best martial art for bar fights?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Semi-hijack:

Does anyone know of a good resource that clearly explains the differences and similarities between the various martial arts styles of the world? I've never studied martial arts but they're definitely interesting and I'd like to learn more. There are just so many different styles. It's really mind boggling. How does one know where to begin or which to choose?

Comment

IMO, I think it depends on the instructor and the school. Pick a few that are conveniently located and spend a month at each. Classes may be stimulating and challenging, or you may be waist-deep in children. Watch their upper-rank people, particularly older ones. Teenagers are always going to be fast, strong and limber, but if the middle aged ones look like they could kick you in the face, then it's probably a good sign!
      Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
      Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
      "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Comment

Originally posted by ottercat View Post
        IMO, I think it depends on the instructor and the school. Pick a few that are conveniently located and spend a month at each. Classes may be stimulating and challenging, or you may be waist-deep in children. Watch their upper-rank people, particularly older ones. Teenagers are always going to be fast, strong and limber, but if the middle aged ones look like they could kick you in the face, then it's probably a good sign!
        Yeah, that makes sense, but as you say -- you're really just evaluating the instructor and the school. Maybe I go to one school and the older students aren't limber, strong, etc. Maybe they're injured and unimpressive physically. So, taking your advice (which is good advice!) I pass on that school. I'm sure that's the right decision, but maybe that particular style is actually perfect for me -- and here I am rejecting it because it's poorly represented by that school.

That's why I want some sort of resource that explains/compares them. Not to mention the fact that there are hundreds of styles to choose from (if not thousands?). In my area there are probably about 5-10 which are available for instruction. That's not a large sample of the whole.

Don't get me wrong, if I ever chose to take classes I'd go with the best instruction I could find over anything else. Right now I have no plans to take classes though, I'm just curious and want to learn about martial arts.

Comment

Honestly, the best starting point is good old fashioned boxing. The "sweet science" will teach you bob, weave and counter and the actual correct way to throw punches. Contrary to what people think, a nice solid correctly placed left hook to the liver will drop someone faster than hastily thrown shot to the face. It will also teach you good endurance skills which is imperative in anything lasting more than 30 seconds. Muai Thai also not bad to learn, few things stop a fight sooner than crushing someones nose into their face or breaking an orbital with an elbow. For grappling I think Judo is a great technique because it teaches you to use your opponents momentum to initiate throws. Krav Maga is brutal as shit because it is designed to literally murder people. The Israeli's developed it to kill terrorists in close quarters battle (CQB) situations where literally your life is on the line. Only problem with that is is that killing someone in a bar fight can actually result in an involuntary manslaughter charge especially if witnesses say you took it to far or you literally beat someone to death. Better off just making someone look like a moron and beating them good enough they know they where in a fight the next day.

Comment

Yea, a perfect example of a guy getting owned on the ground even though his stand up was world class is Check Kongo's loss to Frank Mir where Mir who was the smaller man and less competent striker took Kongo - a 6'4" 240 pound kickboxing beast - down and submitted him in the first 4 minutes of the fight.

Comment

Judo is a great base to learn the basics since all real life fights will start standing and end on the ground, but nowadays Mixed Martial Arts gyms are opening everywhere and will train you on all aspects of fighting so you can fine tune on what you are naturaly good at

Comment

Not in a bar, but pretty similar:

Martial arts experts foil armed robbery in LA | Video | abc7.com

Go BJJ!!

Comment

I love this forum! So many different angles, but all offered just as suggestions.

I second the "just go and try them" for finding out about techniques/schools. I fell into Krav because I had a friend start and just gush about it- and I was looking for something practical. I think if you go into a school you can look at two things. Totally check out the teachers/older/more advanced students to make sure they are what you want to be. But- also separate out the moves themselves. The people might be great but the moves don't click or vice versa.

I read A LOT- but I never would have understood Krav if I hadn't taken that first class.

BTW- whoever brought up the stick fighting- forgot about that- I need to look into it again!
                  http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy View Post
                    The best martial art is one that keeps you out of bar fights.
                    You should only get shitty enough to be in a fight to begin with when you are with friends in a familiar place, and then you most likely won't. And the people that are the most dangerous are the ones that wait and jump you after you leave. If that happens count yourself lucky if they take you to the hospital and not the morgue. Really, a lot more people are packing than you like to think about. Which martial art is the one that can stop a bullet?
                    Last edited by IvyBlue; 11-16-2011, 10:57 AM.
                    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

Originally posted by IvyBlue View Post
                      Which martial art is the one that can stop a bullet?
                      All martial artists can stop a bullet.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthFriendly View Post
                        All martial artists can stop a bullet.
                        Well that depends on the firearm's caliber and the martial artist in question.

Comment

I've heard that the so-called marital arts can stop a bar fight. Or at least provide a distraction....

Comment

Originally posted by Legbiter View Post
                            Well that depends on the firearm's caliber and the martial artist in question.
                            Hmmm. This is true.

If the martial artists are small, and the bullet has enough penetrating power, you might need 2 or 3 martial artists to stop the bullet.

Comment

speaking of fighting

Throwing a flawed punch
                              Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

Comment

Another great article on fighting, particularly Anderson Silva who fights like he's in the Matrix
                                Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

Comment

Working...
                                X