half marathon training

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Misabi View Post
    By you letting the latest troll draw you into even entertaining the discussion. They'regetting smarter, even trying reverse psychology!
    I see it now, if I don't think about it too hard I can see the dogma

You can't run fast without carbs
    These guys are running fast, with carbs
    They cannot be paleo because they eat carbs
    Paleo is bad, and you cannot run fast on a paleo diet

I bet its part of a circular piece of logic, its perfect because all the gaps in an argument can be closed if it just goes in circles.
    www.back-to-primal.blogspot.com or on Facebook here

My training journal if anyone is interested

Be strong to be useful

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalMark
      Well if you read what those 30BaD morons say about us here at MDA then you would understand what Im on about. You got some 2:14 marathoners over there and 1:10 half marathoners like the Fruitarian twig Mike Arnstein and head cult member DR reckons he will give any paleo/primal runner 10 000$ if they can beat him in a half marathon on a diet of 150g a day.

Ive been telling all my work mates that Im eating low carb. Im more confused than ever lol! Is PBP low carb or high carb? What % of my cals should I be getting from carbs? Maybe I will start a thread on this.
      Fittness and health are about much more than fast marathon times, we aren't suckered in by their challenges to a highly specialized event which suits them. A true test of total fittness might be a MMA fight. Would that be fair? Not really since there are afew paleo fighters and I not know of any 30BaD fighters.

Paleo/Primal is not about prescribing percentages and grams per day. Just eat a vaired diet of real food. If you have lots of weight to lose being low carb helps, if you do a lot of intense workouts more carbs will probably help, if you want to lean out try carb cycling and IF. Notice the lack of dogma in all that.

Be strong to be useful

Comment

PrimalMark,

I disagree with your desire to "purify" the flock to your version of Primal, Mark has always said that if working out beyond the standard primal protocol gives you pleasure and you enjoy doing it then perhaps it is something you should continue to do. He does stress that you try to incorporate as much of the primal ideas as you can to aviod the pitfalls associated with your chosen effort levels.

What you choose to do is entirely up to you and that's what makes this whole lifestyle great.

I stopped eating low carb paleo and moved to a high carb primal diet (with a few alterations like white rice from time to time) because I HAVE CHOSEN to pursue activities that require I fuel my body with more carbohydrates. I run trails for hours on end because I love the feeling and solitude I get from it. While trail running I take the time to reflect on my life and how I can grow my business and be a better person. It's my "me time" away from all the pressures of society and my busy life.

Many people are going long on Paleo/Primal once they have reached a higher degree of metabolic efficiency and are still able to keep the carbs low. My avg. HR for a 20 mile trail run is in the low 140's (max HR of 196) so most of my runs are at <80% MHR. To say that you must be doing "chronic cardio" in order to go long is not entirely correct. It depends on your efficiency.

Three athletes I coach who eat Primal/Paleo just finished Ironman Arizona last weekend and all three had personal records by over 40 minutes. We used a smart balance of high intensity, hill work and just enough steady state (long slow distance) work to get these results.

Come down of the mountain and enjoy the fact that each of us can find a way to live a happier and heathier life by incorporating primal methods into the athletic pursuits we wish to enrich our lives with.

Cheers,

Dave
        Last edited by Karma; 11-22-2011, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Im PRIMAL MARK from SM CA man!
          Means nada to me mate!
          Could be good ole harley typing with a cali accent for all I know
          If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

So I can still eat bowls of rice and call myself Primal then? Primal can be high carb?

I used to run but just havent had the energy since doing Primal. I always thought that carbs and cardio are no no's. MS always talks about how he used to be a gun runner and now never runs more than 50 yards at a time. He says that you shouldnt eat carbs but then says you should eat carbs lol!

Im a confused mo fo lol!

How much carbs were the guys you trained to do IM eating? How much coconut oil did they drink on course that day to stay strong for the run?

Thanks for taking the time out to help Dave.
            Bowls of rice? Thats not really primal, but occasional rice is fine, particularly for the highly active. I suspect when Karma says high carb he means highER carb, something like 200-250g so not high compaired to the SAD but I'm sure he can tell you.

High simple carbs is bad, cronic cardio is bad. Not ALL carbs, not ALL cardio. ITS NOT DOGMA

He does not say you shouldn't eat carbs, you are full of shit.

Drinking coconut oil to stay strong for a run? There is so much wrong with that question.

Be strong to be useful

Comment

* SAD recommendations are around 300g of carbs per day. What is it in NZ. Get back to me on that one.

* Whats wrong with drinking coconut oil during a race or long run? Its loaded with healthy fats and the brain is mostly fat right? You want to keep the body burning fat and not becoming a sugar burner by eating carbs during training right?

* Why the swearing and dissing brah? Here is an article where MS says no carbs. How many carbs should I eat each day? | Mark&#039;s Daily Apple "0-50g of carbs per day for accelerated fat burning". See Blah, you think you know it and you shoot off your mouth to quick brah. RELLLLAAAAAX man! We here to learn and grow or put each other down bruz?
              Its 300g per day recomended here too. If we take that as a average amount of carbs we can still call 250g lowER carb, and 350+g high carb. I don't know where your doing with that.

Coconut oil would be terrible to drink straight, coconut cream would be better, some people use coconut water as it goes down easier.

Are you thick? 0-50g is not no carbs, nor is the 50-100g sweet spot for weight loss, nor the 100-150g maintainance range he suggests.

I'm 'shooting my mouth' at you because you are trying to build strawman from blatant lies. You're completly wrong and intentionally trying to cause problems but we can all see right through you.

Be strong to be useful

Comment

1. forget PB carb curve BS
                2. calculate your daily caloric needs.
                3. 1.25 grams protein per lbs
                4. max 0.5 grams fat per lbs
                5. fill the rest with carbs from potatoes, fruit and veggies
                6. want to loose? remove 300-500 calories from carbs
                7. want to gain? add 300-500 calories from carbs

period

Comment

1. You sound like Rip Esselstyn lol!
                  Had no idea who the hell is Rip Esselstyn... Quick google search and here it goes, another dogma BS believer.The only difference is that he doesn't like dead animals.

Comment

So what is peak nutrition then to get ripped and muscular?

How much grams of carbs and fat and protein each day?
                    I keep trying to tell you it is different for differnt people, what their goals are how they will work to reach them. If you need someone to give you a personnalised plan cheak out the guy from lean gains, he'll sort it all out for you for a fee.

Be strong to be useful

Comment

Working...
                    X