Top level conditioning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top level conditioning

Okay so I know I have the genetics to be an mma fighter (generations of family in various combat professions) but I don't have the money to spend on the gym yet.
    Any ideas for mma conditioning workouts while I save up?
    I already sprint once a week and was thinking of upping it to two. I also punch my heavy bag between two and seven times a week and weight lift between three and seven days a week (sometimes I take a rest day but usually not). I also try to spend two hours walking daily (that plus I can't drive) but some days I don't walk at all, other days I walk upwards of five hours.

Any ideas are appreciated.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Seems to me that sandbag and/or kettlebell training might be useful. With those things it often feels like you're "wrestling" with the equipment rather than simply moving it. Both are awesome for the grip too, which you'll need in MMA.

Comment

Originally posted by ciep View Post
      Seems to me that sandbag and/or kettlebell training might be useful. With those things it often feels like you're "wrestling" with the equipment rather than simply moving it. Both are awesome for the grip too, which you'll need in MMA.
      Yep. Sandbag training especially. Build one, start doing jogs/sprints uphill. That should kill you dead.

Sledgehammer + tire work as well, not just hitting tire, but if you can find one big enough flip it.
      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I've been training in Muay Thai about 2-3 times a week for a few months now and I am convinced that the plyo work that I do during the week has been really beneficial to the explosiveness of my striking.

10 Primal Plyos to Make You Fitter, Faster and Stronger | Mark's Daily Apple

10 Primal Plyos for the Upper Body | Mark's Daily Apple

I also do a lot of high intensity, crossfit type workouts during the week.
        "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
        - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

Comment

Alex, you should ask iniQuity to send you the pdf of Ross Enamait's ultimate warrior book, thats got loads of high end conditioning ideas and workouts, and take a look at the tread "Are you taking your training too lightly" that iniQuity started, I think its in the fitness section.
          www.back-to-primal.blogspot.com or on Facebook here

My training journal if anyone is interested

Be strong to be useful

Comment

If your serious about competing in MMA at an elite level your gonna need a lot more training than that. Google john berardis g flux and implement some of his ideas, they will get you on the right track imo.

Comment

Olympic lifting, bodyweight conditioning, sprinting and fighting are about all you need.
              Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
              Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
              The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
              Brute Force Sandbags
              www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
              http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

Best suggestion: find some like minded people and practice! Nothing tires me out like full on sparring.

Comment

Lift some heavy ass weights... get as strong as you can.
                  BODY BY SCIENCE (VIDEO 3): “CARDIO”

Comment

So many things you could do.. Work on strength, especially pulling strength, sprints, sparring, and try to get a bag and throw it around. Simulate throws. This may work out ok until you get into a gym.. Remember make sure you gym has someone who also works out with strikes as well as grappling..
                    Starting Date: August 11, 2011
                    Starting Weight: 330 pounds
                    Current Weight: 310 pounds
                    Goal Weight: 210 pounds

Comment

You're going to need to balance a combination of strength workouts (HEAVY squats, deadlifts, presses, chins) with metabolic conditioning. You're on the right track with sprinting and punching a heavy bag. I'd say work in some explosive power movements like olympic lifts (cleans especially) in addition to the big strength movements.

Also, how is your diet? With the amount of training necessary to achieve the level of conditioning you're gonna need for MMA, you need to be taking in a massive amount of calories and good macro ratios to allow yourself to recover. Also, take a rest day here and there, the time you spend outside the gym is as important as the time inside.

Cheers
                      www.TheFitFatKid.com

Comment

Working...
                      X