Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tfarny: +10!

Comment

I think you are missing the point of Mark and Chris's books. The human body has evolved in a certain (barefoot ) way to be efficient at moving (climbing, running, sprinting, etc. ) over thousands of years. Try to see what each book is doing right, and then decide for yourself which course of action you want to take.

Try to see the parallels of both books, the barefoot training, the idea to looking to the past to solve the problems of today. Can you be just like a Rarámuri native that has lived from childhood a lifestyle of proper running/movement mechanics? Maybe; but many of us do not have the time to simply re-learn the fundamentals of running and movement mechanics. If you've read both books, I hope you now view shoes much differently (and perhaps negatively).

Both books advocate moderation, natural/unprocessed foods, and stress management. Why were the Raramuri such good runners? They loved it. We can't overlook stress and elation in the equation for good health.

So go smile, move, run, and enjoy life on a regular basis

Comment

Originally posted by CMHFFEMT View Post
        As far as the carb thing goes I think that its when you introduce things like refined carbs, industrial seed oils and grains is when it matters.
        Bingo - I agree with this, which is why I'm not as "strict" as some here, although I do treat them as the 20%. I think skipping the processing and refined stuff called food is the most important thing. I was watching a news show about people not reading labels. I thought about it, and realized I don't read labels either as what I buy do not have labels and have one ingredient - the food itself.
        Christine
        Wag more, bark less

Comment

I'm almost done reading Born to Run, and I have to say that although the athletics are inspiring, the dietary choices are not. Pizza? Carb gels? Mountain Dew? Veganism? Surely these are not the true breakfasts of champions. Or are they?!

I also have to say that as much as I was a Barefoot Ted fanboy before, I am now seriously considering building a shrine to him. The rickshaw thing is off the hook. To think that Ted will be at PrimalCon 2012, how could anyone not go?

Comment

interesting discussion.
            I just read an article stating Tour de france veterans live live on average about 8 years longer the the general population.
            Marathon runners in the US are often not trained sufficiently and push themselves too hard when they do race. If you look at the stats actually very few marathoners die.
            Re Masai and tarahumari longevity. Yes it is similiar but Masai seldon live past 60 and tarahumara often make in into 80's. The reason for the same life expectancy(which is a median) is that the tarahumara have a much higher early childhood death rate(apparently almost 1/2 of children die before age 6). If you look at life expectancy of 20 year olds the tarahumara are much likely to live longer the the masai. At least according to some articles I have read - I don't recall the source.
            I have also heard the Masai have heavy fatty streaks in their arteries (recorded in autopsies)but because their arteries are 2X the normal size they don't exhibit any signs of heart disease. The large arteries are due to the fact they walk 18 to 25 KM a day while herding cattle.
            Last edited by twa2w; 10-29-2011, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X