Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Half-marathon training plans that are primal friendly??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ran two half marathons and I can tell you that it takes no special training. Anyone who can walk at a relaxed pace for a couple of hours can pull off a half marathon. If you want to train for it, train your willpower. That's all you need. Also, do a 10-15 minute sprint session twice a week and walk everywhere you can, if you want to do well.

Seriously.

Forget the long runs, forget Jillian Michaels (who, by the way, is a sadist who is paid to torture fat people), forget boot camp. Forget everything but walking and a couple of all-out sprint sessions per week. The sprints are where your cardiovascular strength and endurance will come from.

The half marathon itself is not Primal, so let's toss aside any illusions to that effect. I can think of only two reasons a prehistoric human might have needed to run 22 kilometers nonstop: he was trying to run down an incredibly strong prey animal, or he was trying to escape from a hunting party of people who were pissed off at him. Can you think of others? In either case, the lengthy run would have been unplanned.

The half marathon is a modern exercise that people use to create some kind of feeling of achievement for themselves. It has no health benefits that eating properly and not sitting on your ass all day don't have, and in fact has quite a few health risks.

Have fun.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by TriGirl View Post
      I know this isn't really that much help but I have read of a danish coach using only tempo runs and intervals/fartleg in preparation for the marathon, so he never got over 10-15km and he did really well, so I actually think that if you do the intensity training correct you could get through the half without any long runs. But I am an endurance athlete myself and love the long runs so have never really practiced that.
      Cross-fit endurance has a similar concept. I do the bare minimum amount of long runs. I essentially trained to get better at the 5K and only added more miles once my VO2 max was pretty good. I think it worked pretty well. It only took a week to two to get used to the lactate threshold issues over longer distances as my cardio was already there.

I don't really do anything too structured. Some weeks I'll do a long run and three treadmill runs. Some weeks I'll do a long run and cross train the rest of the week. Some weeks I'll do a race on the weekend if it's convenient. It hasn't run me down the way the 35-45 mile weeks used when I trained more traditionally.

Comment

Working...
      X