Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Sport?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    No dammit, the answer is Queer Ball, lmmfao!!!!

    Comment


    • #62
      Actually, I've played queerball a couple of times for BJJ warm-ups, but it wasn't called that. Seems like grown men about to wrestle each other for two hours don't feel that comfortable calling each other ''queer''. It was a lot of fun though.

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by Clymb View Post
        Climbing. Best sport/activity/whatever ever. It beats all--deal with it, you guys
        I've recently started doing a little climbing....and wow, it really challenges me in ways I have not been challenged before. I am definitely more impressed with rock climbers having begun to learn the craft.

        A rock wall at your state fair does NOT count! The actual rock climbing gyms & the real thing are waaay more intense.

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
          Forgive me if I don't take the opinion of someone who clearly has no concept of what a sport is. I coach MMA athletes and I can assure you that the skill, strength, power, speed, agility, technique and tactics required to compete at a high level certainly classify it as a sport.

          Your comments regarding fighting are just plain ignorant.
          I'm not claiming those who compete in MMA aren't great athletes. There are very valuable reasons to learn the craft, and it produces very coordinated and fit athletes. I'm speaking from the perspective of a lifelong sports fan and participator in sports. I've played practically everything. From this perspective along with my intelligence, I can see the beauty or lack of beauty in a sport. Maybe you've been taking too many punches from your students?
          Last edited by wiltondeportes; 06-04-2011, 08:45 AM.

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by wiltondeportes View Post
            I'm not claiming those who compete in MMA aren't great athletes. There are very valuable reasons to learn the craft, and it produces very coordinated and fit athletes. I'm speaking from the perspective of a lifelong sports fan and participator in sports. I've played practically everything. From this perspective along with my intelligence, I can see the beauty or lack of beauty in a sport. Maybe you've been taking too many punches from your students?
            Played everything and mastered nothing i would imagine. So please, enlighten us, what is your definition of a sport?
            Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
            Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
            The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
            Brute Force Sandbags
            www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
            http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

            Comment


            • #66
              Oh, and I'm a strength and conditioning coach so don't regularly receive punches to the head from my athletes.
              Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
              Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
              The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
              Brute Force Sandbags
              www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
              http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
                Played everything and mastered nothing i would imagine. So please, enlighten us, what is your definition of a sport?
                sport   
                [spawrt, spohrt]
                –noun
                1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature

                There's the dictionary definition for you, Coach. I don't need to repeat myself anymore...

                Originally posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
                Oh, and I'm a strength and conditioning coach so don't regularly receive punches to the head from my athletes.
                I'm sure you're a great one then!
                Last edited by wiltondeportes; 06-05-2011, 12:01 AM.

                Comment


                • #68
                  So, you define a sport as an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and accept that those who compete in MMA can be great athletes and that it produces very fit and co-ordinated athletes.

                  But in your original post you state "First of all, fighting sports are out. That's not a sport to me".

                  So I'm still confused as to why you don't classify MMA as a sport.
                  Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
                  Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
                  The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
                  Brute Force Sandbags
                  www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
                  http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    By your criteria, wouldn't the ultimate sport be distance cycling - like the Tour de France? 22 days of riding 100 miles or more, over big mountains, through major cities, through miles of countryside... Major team aspect - the team supports the top rider by providing him with a draft so he doesn't tire as easily. Requires stamina, strategy, and the winner can often come down to mere microseconds.

                    The comment that fighting sports don't classify is interesting - didn't most sports evolve from games involving training for fighting or hunting?
                    Christine
                    Wag more, bark less

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by tfarny View Post
                      Chuck Norris is the greatest sport.
                      Hmmm, sport hunting Chuck Norris.

                      Now there's a kick I haven't tried.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        But seriously all of your sports suck.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Come to think of it, wouldn't Hunting be the "ultimate paleo" sport?

                          Especially if crafted your own flint tipped spear, and spear thrower? Meh.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by wiltondeportes View Post
                            I've recently started doing a little climbing....and wow, it really challenges me in ways I have not been challenged before. I am definitely more impressed with rock climbers having begun to learn the craft.

                            A rock wall at your state fair does NOT count! The actual rock climbing gyms & the real thing are waaay more intense.
                            For realz! I just got back from a climbing trip this weekend and my entire body is sore and fingers are shredded...most fun and challenging thing I've ever done
                            "The mountains are calling and I must go."
                            --John Muir


                            "I don't know what's wrong with me, but I love this shit."
                            --Tommy Caldwell


                            ‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
                            --Hyperlithic

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by Clymb View Post
                              For realz! I just got back from a climbing trip this weekend and my entire body is sore and fingers are shredded...most fun and challenging thing I've ever done
                              Where did you go?

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by wiltondeportes View Post
                                Where did you go?
                                Went to Kelly Canyon to boulder, in the Flagstaff/Sedona area here in AZ. Got sunburnt reallllllllllly bad lol
                                "The mountains are calling and I must go."
                                --John Muir


                                "I don't know what's wrong with me, but I love this shit."
                                --Tommy Caldwell


                                ‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
                                --Hyperlithic

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X