No announcement yet.

What do you eat after training?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I "eat" about 100 calories of Raw Whole Milk.

Probably not a big help to you!

Comment

i actually dont like to eat after i work out in the evenings. i know i should, but i just don't feel like it. i've been drinking muscle milk this week

If i work out midday i will follow up with 2 eggs, a can of tuna or some left over meat, and an avocado

Comment

Except that you need to keep in mind that all this research is primarily done on male athletes, and new research is finally being done on female athletes showing that what works for the guys may not be the ideal for women. Sports medicine has made tremendous strides, but it's got a long way to go to adequately address female athletes' physiology.

Phys Ed: What Exercise Science Doesn't Know About Women - NYTimes.com

Originally posted by Karma View Post
        Here's a little more food for thought:

An article from 2004 ( I know it's a little old at this point)
        Nutrient Timing: Research You Can Use
        By Matt Fitzgerald
        July/August 2004
        For the Washington Running Report

In a new book called Nutrient Timing, exercise physiologist John Ivy, Ph.D., and biochemist Robert Portman, Ph.D., argue that when athletes eat is as important as what they eat. Citing dozens of recent studies, they make a solid case. Although Nutrient Timing is aimed primarily at an audience of strength athletes, there is a lot of information in the book that is valuable to endurance athletes as well.

Most endurance athletes are aware that it is beneficial to drink a carbohydrate sports drink during exercise. But according to the authors of Nutrient Timing, there are many other beneficial ways to use nutrition during and after exercise that most endurance athletes don't know about. Here are five of them:

1. Consuming protein with carbohydrate during exercise can increase endurance.

It appears that the effectiveness of carbohydrate consumption during exercise is limited by the maximum rate at which the liver can release glucose into the bloodstream-about one gram per minute. It's not hard to consume enough carbohydrate in a sports drink to reach this limit, and consuming any more will not help.

But the muscles can also use protein for energy. A supplement combining carbohydrate and protein can therefore provide more energy and delay fatigue by allowing the muscles to conserve more glycogen (their main energy source). A study at the University of Texas compared the effects of a carbohydrate and a carbohydrate-protein supplement on endurance performance. Trained cyclists last thirty-six percent longer in a ride to exhaustion when fed the carbohydrate-protein drink than when fed the carbohydrate drink.

2. Consuming protein during exercise can reduce muscle damage.

When protein is not consumed during exercise, muscle proteins are broken down for energy, resulting in muscle damage. When protein is consumed during exercise, such damage is minimized.

This was demonstrated in a study done at James Madison University. Researchers fed either a regular carbohydrate sports drink or a carbohydrate-protein drink to subjects during a hard stationary bike ride and measured post-exercise levels of creatine phosphokinase (CPK) in the blood. CPK is a biomarker of muscle damage. The subjects receiving the carbohydrate/protein supplement had CPK levels eighty-three percent lower than those receiving the carbohydrate supplement, indicating significantly less muscle damage during exercise.

3. The sooner you consume nutrients after exercise, the more effective they are.

The muscle cells are especially insulin sensitive for the first 45 minutes after exercise is completed. Insulin transports glucose and amino acids into the muscle cells and stimulates muscle protein and glycogen synthesis. Consuming carbohydrate and protein within this 45-minute window will therefore stimulate the muscle recovery processes much more powerfully than consuming the same nutrients later.

In a study at Vanderbilt University, researchers looked at the effect of a carbohydrate-protein supplement on protein synthesis following a sixty-minute bout of exercise. Subjects were given the supplement immediately after exercise or three hours later. Protein synthesis was almost three times higher when the supplement was given immediately after the workout. Other studies have shown a similar pattern with respect to muscle glycogen replenishment.

4. Post-exercise nutrition reduces injuries and sickness.

In a remarkable new study, Marine recruits representing six platoons were assigned to one of three treatment protocols during 54 days of basic training. Each day after exercise, some Marines received a carbohydrate drink, others a carbohydrate- protein drink, and still others flavored water.

The investigators reported that the protein supplemented group had an average of thirty-three percent fewer total medical visits, twenty-eight percent fewer visits due to bacterial/viral infections, thirty-seven percent fewer visits due to muscle/joint problems, and eighty-three percent fewer visits due to heat exhaustion compared to members of the other groups. They also had less muscle soreness.

This new evidence indicates that athletes in heavy training will stay healthier if they consume a carbohydrate-protein supplement immediately following each workout. Strenuous exercise suppresses the immune system, opening the door to infections. Carbohydrate and the amino acid glutamine fuel the immune system and counteract this suppression.

5. Post-exercise nutrition improves performance in the next workout.

It stands to reason that if immediate supplementation after exercise results in a faster, stronger recovery, it could also improve performance in the next workout. The James Madison University study cited above showed this to be the case.

After completing a performance ride on day one, the subjects of this study were asked to come back after a 15-hour recovery period. Upon returning, the subjects performed a ride to exhaustion at eighty-five percent of their VO2max. Subjects receiving the carbohydrate/protein drink during the initial performance ride the day before were able to ride almost forty percent longer than those receiving the carbohydrate drink during the prior exercise.

Summary
        The science of sports nutrition has come a long way since the first sports drinks were formulated back in the '60s. It's time to bring your sports nutrition practice into the 21st century. The principles of Nutrient Timing show you how.
        “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

First of all, I do IF and I work out in the am.

When I run, I'll use coconut oil until I eat (like 4 T until the afternoon).

When I lift, I use BCAA's as laid out by Martin at Leangains.com until I eat (earlier than when I run, say 12ish instead of 3ish)

Comment

Whey protein with unsweetened almond milk, cinnamon, cayenne and 2 tablespoons of coconut milk. I keep fat low after the workout because it ruins the absorption of the protein. You don't want slow absorption after a workout. The whole point of whey is how fast your body absorbs it, so all this coconut milk usage confuses me.

About an hour or two later, I have my largest meal of the day. On my heavy workout days, I eat usually a pound of lean protein (chicken breast or fish) and 100-150g of starchy carbs and a piece of fruit.
            Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

I drink a liter of milk and eat a banana.

Comment

Usually I work out on the evenings. So a lot of protein, be it chicken or fish or tuna, some veggies and I pretty much don't miss a day of this: a Pumpkin kind of oatmeal, with heavy whipping cream, coconut milk, as much pumpkin as I want, 2 eggs, cinnamon, almond or vanilla extract and stevia. Oh and fruit or nuts if I want, or have it at hand.

Comment

Working...
                X