Best Hiking Trip in the World?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Hiking Trip in the World?

For my 40th birthday I'd like to take a week or so and do some great hiking trip with friends and family. We'd like something pretty challenging, but not so challenging that it turns into something like "Into Thin Air."

I thought of maybe the Inca Trail, but wanted to see if any of you all have any recommended hiking trips you'd suggest. I'm open to anywhere in the world. I only have about a week, though . . .
    Last edited by tejast; 04-18-2011, 11:43 AM.

The Colorado trail would be a great one.

Comment

I hear great things about the John Muir Trail....
      Jen, former Midwesterner, living in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

Two thoughts.

Milford Trek in NZ (rated one fo the best in the world)

Inn to Inn hike through the black forest (my wife and I did this and it was a fabulous hiking vacation) - Famous for the waterfall and cuckoo clock is Triberg, Germany. | German Black Forest

Comment

my top choice for a hike world wide would easily be machu pichu. but there are plenty of places that i would like to go...kilamanjaor, fuji, ayers rock, the tetons

when are you thinking about doing this? in the fall...you have to hike new england. it's just hard enough to make you appreciate the work you're doing, and visually stunning.
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

The Inca Trail was the nadir of my existence...four days in the pouring rain unable to see any of the beautiful scenery around us. So I definitely recommend going when it's far away from rainy season (I went the week after it was supposed to have ended, which it retrospect seems really stupid). It's a wonderful walk that is appropriate for a wide range of fitness abilities and seeing Machu Picchu firsthand was an extremely moving experience for me. I felt like I was on top of the world!
            Il faut vivre et non pas seulement exister.

Comment

The Overland Track between Cradle Mountain and Lake St Clair in Tasmania - Parks & Wildlife Service - Introduction

Should only be attempted in the Southern summer - I saw snow and I did it in the middle of summer
              Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Yellowstone. Shashone Trail / Shashone Lake. And don't forget to spend time in the Tetons. AWESOME!!!!!
                Bring fishing poles for both. Wyoming/Montana guest permits are expensive and a must, but if you get caught without one, your fine is very sever.

have fun
                Julia
                Starting Weight 235 - Dec 1, 2010
                Started Primal Mid January 2011
                Current Weight 183
                Goal 160

Get Outside Already!

http://moderndayfitandfood.wordpress.com/
                http://moderndaydesigns.wordpress.com/

Comment

The Chilkoot Trail from Dyea to Bennet Lake (Alaska-Yukon) is pretty amazing.

Comment

I've heard great things about Gros Morne. I was supposed to hike it this summer but the trip had to be cancelled.
                    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

Are you backpacking or wanting dayhikes?

Southern Utah, Northern Arizona is my favorite! Zion NP, Bryce Canyon NP, Canyonlands NP, Grand Canyon NP(north rim), Moab, Buckskin Gulch, The Wave, the list goes on and on.

Comment

Yeah, for doing a bunch of day hikes, Zion (and SW Utah in general) can't be beat. For a 3(ish) day hike, I've always wanted to do a Grand Canyon RTR ... may do that next year. Of course I'm a geologist so I'm biased about such things, but hey, nothing makes you feel insignificant in history like hiking through millions of years of time in a matter of hours
                        Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Karma View Post
                          Two thoughts.

Milford Trek in NZ (rated one fo the best in the world)
                          Seconding the Milford Track - "the finest walk in the world."

The West Coast Trail (in British Columbia) is breathatking and challenging, but doable. It's about a week-long trek.

(Alex: I'm going to Newfoundland this summer and am desperate to try to get to Gros Morne! It looks so beautiful.)
                          Last edited by ErinC; 04-20-2011, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Great idea! I turn 23 on May 11. I will have to do something very similar like this. Let me know when you make a decision as to what you end up doing! I live in Grand Rapids, MI for anyone who wants to join me and/or knows of an awesome area to go backpacking in Michigan.
                            Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Free Range View Post
                              The Colorado trail would be a great one.
                              I agree. I just did 50 miles last summer by myself and it was pretty cool.
                              People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

Working...
                              X