Dumb gym question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb gym question

Ok, here it is. Which bar is supposed to be used for the overhead press? Can you use the one from the squat rack?

You use a barbell, same as you would for squats and deadlifts. (Unless of course you want to play around with dumbbells, sandbags, etc.)
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Yes, I know you use an Olympic bar, but which one is it? Obviously you can't use the one in the squat cage, or can you?

Comment

You can if you want to.
        You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

But does it piss people off like bicep curls in the squat rack, or is it something that you are meant to do?

Thanks.

Comment

Where else will you do it? The bench is a bit low.
            In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

Originally posted by Gathwh View Post
              Ok, here it is. Which bar is supposed to be used for the overhead press? Can you use the one from the squat rack?
              Any bar that is long enough for you to be able to have a proper grip width and light enough for you to be able to press it over your head? Personally I use a 20kg Olympic bar, but at my gym they also have lighter (and thinner) 10kg and 15kg bars.

Originally posted by Alex Good View Post
              Where else will you do it? The bench is a bit low.
              Lift the bar off the bench. Problem solved.
              Norak's Primal Journal:
              2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
              2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
              2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

Comment

Be warned as you may incur the wrath of someone wanting to actually do squats in the squat cage while you're doing your overhead press (ie. ME).

Comment

Originally posted by Gathwh View Post
                  But does it piss people off like bicep curls in the squat rack, or is it something that you are meant to do?
                  It's something you are meant to do. The fact that people may get pissed off is irrelevant. The rack is there for safety when doing heavy lifts, regardless of which exercise you are doing.

Originally posted by unchatenfrance View Post
                  Be warned as you may incur the wrath of someone wanting to actually do squats in the squat cage while you're doing your overhead press (ie. ME).
                  If you don't think people need the rack for overhead presses, you shouldn't be needing it for squats either...
                  Norak's Primal Journal:
                  2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
                  2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
                  2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

Comment

You can solve that problem by finding a gym with more than one rack.
                    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
                      You can solve that problem by finding a gym with more than one rack.
                      Easy for you to say, i have to literally live in the worst area, no nearby gyms with squat racks, 'cept crossfit, but i don't have the money for that.

Comment

I'm ok with that
                        I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Comment

Originally posted by NeoBerserker View Post
                          Easy for you to say, i have to literally live in the worst area, no nearby gyms with squat racks, 'cept crossfit, but i don't have the money for that.
                          My inner smartass, she does not come across so well on the internet.

But yeah, racks are for more than just squats.

Owly's Journal

Comment

And don't ever do curls in the squat rack..
                            Actually, some prefer dumbbells.

Comment

Doing overhead press on a squat half rack is ok.

Comment

Working...
                              X