No announcement yet.

Prone to Severe Cramping after Hard Rock Climbing / MotoX Session

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because you personally don't agree with dairy, or some factually based causality with cramping?

Comment

Originally posted by Lars86 View Post
      Because you personally don't agree with dairy, or some factually based causality with cramping?
      Diary, especially milk and cheese is very rich in calcium. To high in calcium can deplete your magnesium. To high in magnesium can also deplete your calcium levels. It a fine balance.

I too have had quite bad problems with cramps during high intense/heavy sweating exercise as sparring in judo. Swimming also gave me cramps after 40-60 min. Sometimes so bad I had problems getting out of the water (avoid stupid mistakes huh?) One day I accidentally added to much salt in my meal. The day after when I went swimming I had no cramp at all. Drinking electrolyte when it is going on doesn't help me at all but the day before seemed to help.

I was then on a vlc diet and I was thinking, as carbs binds a lot of water, maybe adding more carbs will make the body bind more water and thus not being dehydrated as easily.

I have not been training so hard now so I don't know if I will have these problems again. I have also increased my carb intake and I am aiming for 100-150 g now.

In the summer I'm planning to swim outdoors in a lake, but having severe cramps there is not so good...

Comment

Interesting ideas. I've been trying to up my carb levels in days prior and day of activities like this. So far, no cramps, but the weather is heating up so we'll see soon. I've been baking sweet potato and other yams and eating bananas to get this accomplished; any other ideas?

Comment

Have you tried ZMA?
          Carbs like you mention are healthy foods and you should eat them anyway.
          Only the sedentary have real cause to strictly limit carbs, that's obviously not you.

Comment

I read some of Mark's blog posts and they seem to conflict. When I'm climbing in bursts of 5 - 15 min on 5-15 min off. for 3-6 hours. Should I just dump a bunch of honey in my water instead of bringing Lara bars?

Because intensive athletic training typically exhausts the bodyís glycogen stores, it needs a supplementary (albeit inferior fuel), which likely requires carbohydrate calories. (Yes, take a moment, if you need to.) The image of a runner loading up on carbs before a race isnít for nothing. Unfortunately, getting these from veggies just wonít do the job this time. Ideally, you should look to natural starchy carbs first (yams, squash, etc.) and then to whole grains like wild rice or quinoa. The whole grains are, admittedly, a lesser second choice, but theyíre better than just downing simple sugars. Try to keep the extra carb calories limited to pre-training and pre-competition times as much as possible.
            Races or any intensive training session lasting over 90 minutes often call for added carb refueling on the fly, too. Over the years coaching athletes, Iíve found that drinking 10-20 grams of sugars every 15 minutes after the first 60-90 minutes helps keep glucose in the bloodstream and thereby spares muscle glycogen. Any more than that and you run the risk of stomach upset. Once again, sports drinks are probably the most efficient source for carb energy, electrolytes and hydration. Though a piece of fruit might work for borderline training days, eating solid foods during a race generally backfires. Additionally, sport drinks have some advantages over straight juices. Thereís a reason these drinks have been around for a while. Iíd do some comparison shopping and personal trials to find one you prefer.
            Right after a long training session or race, youíre in a critical period for glycogen refueling. That first hour offers the most efficient opportunity for glycogen storage, and itís fine to refuel initially with simpler (faster uptake) sugars. Take it slow and go for drinks first until you think you can safely move onto solid food. When youíre ready, try some fruits or yogurt with honey to get both carbs and protein in that initial window. As you move past that first hour, tubers and more complex carb sources are good to include. As I tell everyone, try to avoid grain-products as much as possible when increasing carbs.

Comment

Anyone? I'm wondering if I should just start mixing maltodextrin in my drink again.

Comment

While I am not a rock climber, being a backpacker can present many similar challenges. I don't use my hands and arms so very much as you do, but I do use my feet and legs - a lot. My hikes are generally 15-20 miles/day over many thousands feet vertical gain, thru rivers, under and over fallen trees, and even including the occasional scramble. No small feat, and they last all day.

I find that I have always had major cramping problems in the thighs and calves, and in the feet, being the parts of my body that get most worked. For years, while on a CW diet (both work-a-day and while hiking), I really suffered during and especially after hikes. Going primal a couple of years ago made a big difference - I wonder if giving up the grains allowed more water to pass from my gut to my body. What I found to be most beneficial tho, beyond being grain-free and VLC, was increasing the protein.

I now, while hiking, eat quinoa and fruit for breakfast, with a coconut-milk based chai tea. Throughout the day, it's beef jerky and nuts, with just a bit of dried berries. Dinner is generally what seems to be too much salt with 1/2 pound of beef, a whole foilpak of chicken, or two servings of fish, with some dried root veggies and some sort of sauce. Basically, it's protein, protein, protein all day, usually more than I want to eat. It's working. I am increasing my stamina and greatly reducing muscle pain/cramps.

The other day, I did a hike I've done many times up a local river valley in the Olympic National Park. It's about 15 miles RT with roughly 2000' feet gain - a pretty easy-peasy day-hike. I usually have cramps long before I get back to my truck. I had none whatsoever that day or thru that night.

Protein... MMMmmm!

Comment

No insight on Mark's seemingly conflicting posts?

Comment

Working...
                  X