Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some opinions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need some opinions

    Forgive me if this is a little long winded but I need to lay a little back ground.. I am a Police Officer and also a defensive tactics intructor for my department. Aboiut a year and a half ago i was weighing in around 215 lbs and was teaching ground defense to our entrance level academy. At this time I was working out pretty heavy and really doing alot of chronic cardio. I had to roll with half the class for 6 minute rounds during this phase of instruction and seemed to do just fine with my endurance.

    Then about a year ago I read an article about Erwin Lecorre and Movnat and the paleo diet. I was intrigued and started doing those types of workouts and eating paleo. My endurance still seemed to be ok and I trimmed down to a lean but healthy 185 lbs.

    Then about 6 months ago I started reading MDA and started feeling like the Movnat I was doing might be borderline chronic cardio. I bought the Primal Blueprint and started on the primal diet and exercise program. Im religious about my sprints and have been doing regular slow movement exercise and good LHT workouts.. Part of my slow movement exercise is heavy bag work standing and ground work with a grappling dummy.

    Now 2 weeks ago I again had to teach and entry level ground defense class and eventhough my strength still seemed to be ok after the first 5 minutes I was completely gassed.

    I am not sure what I am missing here but I really like the concept of the Primal Blueprint and Im one of those guys that when I start a program I like to do it to the letter. So I guess my long winded question here is does anyone have any suggestions or ideas about my loss of endurance in this case.

    I would greatly appreciate any input

  • #2
    Ok im guessing I may have put this in the wrong thread.. do i need to move it to the regular fitness thread?

    Comment


    • #3
      Don't forget, Primal Blueprint Fitness also mentions sport specific training. Since what you're doing goes beyond what most others are expected to do, you'll no doubt need to modify your routines.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thank you Yaish. I had been thinking along those lines but being hard headed didnt want to stray too far from the original formula. so much of what I used to do would be considered chronic cardeo that I was a little leary and yes a little confused about how to get the best of both worlds. I still want to be able to walk and breath after I retire lol.

        Comment


        • #5
          You know, I haven't heard anybody here say MovNat is anything like chronic cardio. On the contrary, there are quite a few proponents and practitioners of it here. Once I'm a bit stronger, I'm looking forward to doing the most basic skills myself.

          I'd say if you felt better doing MovNat, then do it. You know your body better than anybody else.
          "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by TigerLily View Post
            You know, I haven't heard anybody here say MovNat is anything like chronic cardio. On the contrary, there are quite a few proponents and practitioners of it here. Once I'm a bit stronger, I'm looking forward to doing the most basic skills myself.

            I'd say if you felt better doing MovNat, then do it. You know your body better than anybody else.
            TigerLily, The only reason I compared Movnat to chronic cardio is because I know that there is no way while doing it my heart rate was anywhere close to the 75 to 80 percent mark. It was always quite higher than that if it was done with running included and I was doing it about 3 times a week. Going by the Primal Blueprint standard ( unless I am understanding things wrong) would put that in or close to chronic cardio.. If im misunderstaning it please let me know cause that is why I posted this thread.

            Comment


            • #7
              Two thoughts.

              Are you eating enough starch? You're going to need more carbs than most Primal folks, just because of your workload. Intense exercise requires glycogen. Your liver is only capable of turning about 100g/day of protein into glycogen and ketones. When you run short of glycogen, you get gassed trying to do anything intense.

              PBF isn't really aimed at athletes. It's OK to maintain fitness or to get minimally fit with a low time commitment, but that's about it. If you have specific performance needs, you need to go beyond PBF.

              Gordo

              Comment


              • #8
                If you are over 40, you may need more time to adapt to changes in diet, etc.
                This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

                Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
                Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm a runner. On days that I'm running I usually drink a shake for breakfast (coconut milk, berries, a tablespoon of almond butter, and an egg yolk... if it's a long run I'll add a banana). If I don't do this, I will not last through my run. Also, I drink my shake about a half hour before I start my workout. Makes it much easier to run.
                  This may not be the exact right answer for you... but what you eat before exercising certainly does have an impact on your performance.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I think you need to eat when ever you feels hungry in this case you will be able to gain mass.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by PRIMAL_COP View Post
                      Then about 6 months ago I started reading MDA and started feeling like the Movnat I was doing might be borderline chronic cardio.
                      Cardio is a bit of a misnomer.

                      Originally posted by PRIMAL_COP View Post
                      I bought the Primal Blueprint and started on the primal diet and exercise program. Im religious about my sprints and have been doing regular slow movement exercise and good LHT workouts..
                      My general understanding of sprints and LHT is they're suppose to condition anaerobic metabolism (Cori Cycle) which then drives aerobic metabolism (Krebs Cycle). The purpose of the slow movement is to minimize injury and because muscles can generate more force when contracting slowly.

                      Originally posted by PRIMAL_COP View Post
                      Part of my slow movement exercise is heavy bag work standing and ground work with a grappling dummy.

                      Now 2 weeks ago I again had to teach and entry level ground defense class and eventhough my strength still seemed to be ok after the first 5 minutes I was completely gassed.
                      Sounds like perhaps your training with the grappling dummy didn't make you metabolically stronger, and those exercises turned into your skills training at the expense of your defense class skills.

                      Originally posted by PRIMAL_COP View Post
                      I am not sure what I am missing here but I really like the concept of the Primal Blueprint and Im one of those guys that when I start a program I like to do it to the letter. So I guess my long winded question here is does anyone have any suggestions or ideas about my loss of endurance in this case.
                      It helps to understand what's going on metabolically. That is, knowing the intent may be more important than following the letter. LHT to get metabolically stronger for health. Use the increased strength to improve at your functional skills for your work and fun.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Has it been awhile since your previous entry level ground defense class? If it has maybe you just need to get re-conditioned for it. For me personally I work out 6 days a week and I run hill sprints once per week as well as interval running once per week. But when I started playing full court basketball again I was gassed relatively quick even though I felt like I would be in better basketball shape. (I haven't played full court basketball for over a year at this point) After a few more full court basketball sessions though it became easier. I follow a really strict paleo lifestyle as well not because of weight issues but because I had bad allergies which it helped me control. One thing you may consider is if you are going to teach a class maybe have a little bit more carbs pre-workout.
                        "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

                        People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X