No announcement yet.

A Question for You Martial Artists....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Question for You Martial Artists....

A new Tae Kwon Do / Karate / BJJ place just opened up down the street that looks promising. I took a couple semesters of Karate in college and would love to jump back into either that or Tae Kwon Do.

My question for you guys is: what "category" do you think the practice of martial arts falls under? Eh...Lift Heavy Things? Or "Play"? I know most of you who practice martial arts probably don't even follow the Primal Blueprint Fitness guide, but I'm just wondering how much and what type of additional exercise I should be doing if I enroll.

Currently I Lift twice a week, practice Budokon (a blend of Ashtanga Yoga and Martial Arts) once or twice a week, do Sprints once a week and Walk a couple of miles a day.

Any insight is appreciated

"The Way We Do Anything Is the Way We Do Everything"
    ~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry
    My Leangains/Primal Lifestyle Challenge to begin 2/7/11!
    Check out the Blog for Daily Progress

I practice muay thai, and don't know how applicable my experience is to those other forms (although i have some ideas about BJJ). When i'm holding pads for someone, or working a technique, I think that correlates to moving slowly. When I'm sparring, there are def moments of "sprinting", as there are during conditioning exercises we do at the end of class. The conditioning exercises (squats, pushups, plank, jumping squats, etc...) would probably also be sufficient for LHT, but I do kettlebell classes once a week, anyway. Obviously, play is covered, bc hitting things is fun!

I probably overtrain according to PB standards....

Comment

It's a difficult question to answer without some more info regarding the actual structure of the sessions. Generally through most martial arts , IMO, would be classed as play albeit at a high intensity.
      Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
      Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
      The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
      Brute Force Sandbags
      www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
      http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

I would put martial arts under the category of 'I don't care what it is, I'm doing it anyway'. Schedule-wise I lift mon/wed/fri, have 'proper' TKD training on Tues/Thurs, and do solo training mon-fri. At the weekend I have a strict no-training-of-any-kind rule, otherwise I tend to overtrain pretty quickly.
        The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
        Blog
        sigpic

Comment

depends on what you're doing, and how much. From "Play" to "Chronic Cardio". IMHFO

Comment

...oh yes, and in some schools it will count as "Did not avoid trauma".

Comment

I'm with those who say it doesn't matter. I don't think it's chronic cardio. It's not steady state at all. When I was doing Krav Maga, it was high intensity, with holding the pads (rest) and going full out the rest of the time. It's classic HIIT if done right.

Comment

If you like and enjoy doing it, just do it. Its not at all chronic cardio. Its more like playing.

Just don't stress over your decision. I think that's probably more important.
                Family Living Simple blog

Facebook

Twitter @Famlivingsimple

Comment

I have been doing tae kwon do for a while now. Definitely in the "play" category, but super good for limited cardio, balance, isometric strength, coordination and flexibility. And as in most things, you get out of it what you put into it...

Comment

I am not really familiar with TKD at all, so I don't really know how intense it is. I know if I roll for 20 minutes after a BJJ class, I am absolutely exhausted. Is TDK as intense?

Comment

Definitely interval type training. Striking arts are more interval style play and grappling arts are more move slowly/LHT. IMO
                      sigpic

Comment

Hey everyone, thanks for your opinions!

I'm looking forward to getting back to martial arts in the near future. I'm just doing LHT for now - unfortunately, the instructor of the new, promising looking place was just arrested for having a relationship....with one of his 13 year old students from his last dojo. Bummer

"The Way We Do Anything Is the Way We Do Everything"
                        ~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry
                        My Leangains/Primal Lifestyle Challenge to begin 2/7/11!
                        Check out the Blog for Daily Progress

Comment

I would say standing martial arts (striking) are more like play. Simply because you are only moving your own body weight. Ground martial arts (grappling) are more along the lines of lift heavy things, because you are using specific muscles to move another person.
                          Cheers,
                          http://patrick-wilson.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've trained for the past 8 years, initially in a blend of TKD, Krav Maga, Kenpo and Muay Thai. For the past two years I've trained Muay Thai. I consider my training pure play. I think a huge component is your mindset, to me it's a passion and a joy hence play. Now I'm sure there will be a few quips going into the physiological aspects blahfrickenblah. To me, it's fun, it's play !
                            Good luck, hopefully you'll be able to find another dojo and begin your training soon !
                            "You can always do more than you think you can !" Sensei Scash

Comment

I study shotokan, which is Japanese Karate (rather than the original Okinawan). Due to its history, it is quite regimented and structured (a method of teaching used to teach large numbers of people/soldiers simultaneously). I find the line drills are kind of like a light cardio exercise, while the kata, for whatever reason, act much like sprints. At least I (and everyone I see) huff and puff significantly after finishing a kata. Sparring, regardless of whether grappling (we have that in our class) or striking is also much like sprinting. Nothing exhausts me faster than a couple of minutes of sparring.

Comment

Working...
                              X