Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Torn Rotator Cuff: Should I wait it out or get the minimally invasive surgery?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adrianag: i sure hope you don't have to have the big surgery! It's a low down, sorry state of affairs that about the time we get our heads on straight, the rest of our bods start getting out of whack. I'll be thinking of you-- all the best!
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

Two months later and I can say my shoulder is 100%, and I'm glad I went ahead with the surgery. It was a hell of a rehab period, but now I've got a good strong shoulder and arm again. I'm going to take very good care of these shoulders from now on; and find myself unwittingly chastising loved ones when I see them overdoing something that could lead to RC injury. So I'm done with this thread. Thanks to all who gave me such great advice.
      This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Digby View Post
        Adrianag: i sure hope you don't have to have the big surgery! It's a low down, sorry state of affairs that about the time we get our heads on straight, the rest of our bods start getting out of whack. I'll be thinking of you-- all the best!
        Well it looks like the hip is definitely kaput! I have gotten 2 opinions and both docs say the only option is a total hip replacement. I'm seeing a third doc in 2 weeks who does a less invasive THR with an anterior incision that is supposed to have a much quicker recovery time. He is the only surgeon in the state who does it and there was a 6 week delay to consult him.

I am so glad you are back to 100%. I hope to be close to that soon.
        Last edited by Adrianag; 04-03-2011, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianag View Post
          Well it looks like the hip is definitely kaput! I have gotten 2 opinions and both docs say the only option is a total hip replacement. I'm seeing a third doc in 2 weeks who does a less invasive THR with an anterior incision that is supposed to have a much quicker recovery time. He is the only surgeon in the state who does it and there was a 6 week delay to consult him.

I am so glad you are back to 100%. I hope to be close to that soon.
          Adrian, Thanks for your kind thoughts. I wish you lots of luck, and a great surgeon!

Comment

Partial Cuff Tear and Krill Oil

My shoulder started hurting for no apparent reason around October 2011.

Woke up one morning with it and it's been like an never ending nightmare since.

Figured it would go away didn't see a doc until around January or so.

Had an ultrasound and they could see the tear.

Anti-inflamatories and lots of rest

Didn't help just lessened the pain

Did some googling, came up with Krill Oil somehow somewhere. Expensive stuff. I've taken cod liver oil for sore knee and found that it helped almost instantly and read that Krill Oil is something like 20kx's better.

Was real sad that I didn't get instant results but kept with it.

Four days after starting the krill oil, 2 per day, woke up and the nightmare was over ! (around one month ago now)

All this time I couldn't lift my arm, couldn't even take my T-shirt off.

All in the past now.

I was worried about the surgery too, still am, I'm not 100% better, going to take it slow, but I can lift my arm over my head and take off my t-shirt and sleep !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started doing some curls a few days ago and had to stop, shoulder next day a little sore. 15 lbs was a little too much. I'll try 10 lbs next time.

I've always been skeptical and cynical but I tried this because I had good luck previously with natural remedies on one other occasion for diverticulitis, may be spelled wrong, but it's some kind of a problem with a narrow part of the intestine apparently from lack of fibre. Troubled me for years, decades. Took Aloe Vera Juice 59ml daily for about a month and now I just take it when I feel like it and am good as new and feel like I can eat glass and nails. Before, I couldn't eat anything without having abdominal pains.

As digby mentioned, I too can't understand why all the rotator cuff problems.

I took breathers for asthma, had kidney stones, just in case any of this is a common denominator for anyone trying to figure out the same puzzle.
            Last edited by redge; 04-16-2012, 01:39 AM.

Comment

If it is a minimal partial tear, I would wait. I would do all the beneficial therapy and exercise possible. You may also want to consider trying PRP(platelet rich plasma therapy). If you have the money, there is a place called Regenex in Colorado doing hip bone marrow stem cell treatments. There may be a qualified doctor in your area doing these, but it's not likely. I think there is a doctor or two doing the stem cell treatments in the D.C. area where I live, but I am not 100 percent sure. I just know that a doctor that did some PRP for me was trained and certified to do it but had not started yet because he was waiting till he could find a way to make it cheaper. That was almost 4 years ago. I bet he is doing it now.

Comment

I went trhoug the whole thread... frightened!!!

I have some sholder pain from las July: I was given 30 electrotheraphy, 1 cortisone injection .... and still hurts.

What I want to ask is, as for exercise, what regime do you follow? As for myself, 2/3 d/w I make some specific work for external rotators (lying curls, band pull apart, cuban press), medial (lateral raises) and back deltoids (back flies), trap shrugs, shoulder stabilization (turkish get ups) and internal rotators streching.

Any more?

Comment

Working...
                X