Cramps?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cramps?

I've been eating two banana's a day for a while now, 2 months, but I am feeling like my legs are getting close to having random cramps when at rest. When I was on Atkins I had a couple episodes where some major leg muscles cramped up in my sleep. It was so painful that I almost woke up screaming from the pain.

Does anyone have suggestions.

Hi,

Correct me if I'm wrong but I have thought there are a few reasons for cramps;
    low potassium [suspect not if you are eating a couple bananas a day?]
    dehydration
    Low sodium

I found that when I stopped adding sea salt and eating processed foods that I would get twinges. I kinda go by the Panu thought and add sea salt as I like - becuase, well, I like it though I use nowhere near as much as I used to,

There is a train of thought that low carb can cause cramping? But I dont know about that - any thoughts?
    Dont know how much sodium, water or carbs you currently intake.

Kitty

Comment

Aside from the 2 bananas a day what does the rest of your diet and workout regimen look like?
      "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

Leg Cramps are caused by vitamin deficiency. Details here:
        http://www.buzzle.com/articles/leg-cramp-causes.html

Grizz

Comment

Originally posted by infinite View Post
          I've been eating two banana's a day for a while now, 2 months, but I am feeling like my legs are getting close to having random cramps when at rest. When I was on Atkins I had a couple episodes where some major leg muscles cramped up in my sleep. It was so painful that I almost woke up screaming from the pain.

Does anyone have suggestions.
          Sounds like more magnesium is in order. Possibly more potassium (K) as well, but especially Mg. The bananas supply around 800 mg K but your daily K requirement is at least 3500mg (RDI) and maybe 2-3x that.

There is some excellent magnesium and potassium reading in my linked google doc below. kripspin.com also has great info.

Fwiw I can't tolerate any magnesium citrate (incl natural calm) or any magnesium glycinate. I use Jigsaw Health Magnesium which is a time released mg dimalate formulation. If anything less expensive were tolerable, I'd be taking it

I take potassium citrate or gluconate as needed to round out my K intake but prefer to get sufficient K via food (produce mostly but also meat). I also try to keep the K:Na ratio at a reasonable level by keeping Na intake fairly low. Sometimes. lol

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

I concur with the magnesium recommendation (especially since you've got the potassium covered with the two bananas a day). I recently added magnesium because my legs were cramping like crazy and driving me absolutely nuts. The first two nights, it was actually worse, but then quickly settled down after that. No problems since.
            "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

You could need more Calcium too. I found that when I cramp up it's not potasium or sodium, it's calcium that helps.
              Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out -
Robert Collier
              Danielle Shank Photography
              My Primal Journey

Comment

Originally posted by TigerLily View Post
                (especially since you've got the potassium covered with the two bananas a day).
                We need at least 3500 mg potassium per day, probably much more.

2 bananas offer up 800 mg potassium iirc.

2 bananas per day will not cover potassium needs.

Comment

I'll throw my hat in the magnesium ring. And eating lots of vegetables will go further with potassium than bananas, and it'll boost your magnesium to boot. Think spinach, artichokes, avocados, etc...

Comment

Pumpkin seeds are an excellent source of magnesium. If you buy the salted kind you also get sodium with it.
                    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
                    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Comment

Originally posted by erica057 View Post
                      Pumpkin seeds are an excellent source of magnesium.
                      and zinc! and some other cool stuff. Eating many though isn't a good idea due to phytates.

Originally posted by Allbeef Patty View Post
                      I'll throw my hat in the magnesium ring. And eating lots of vegetables will go further with potassium than bananas, and it'll boost your magnesium to boot. Think spinach, artichokes, avocados, etc...
                      To boost potassium intake, especially the all important ratios of potassium:kcal and potassium:sodium, it's most helpful to go for veggies with the highest potassium:kcal ratio....

purslane (a weed that grows wild just about everywhere)
                      tomato
                      chard
                      beet greens
                      celery

Nutritiondata.self.com is a great source for figuring out low-cal, high potassium foods that can easily be added to the diet to supplement the high fat, moderate protein of 'primal' or paleo without affecting carb content. (whatever one's preferred carb intake level is...._)

Comment

Working...
                      X