Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alpine skiers....how do you get through the day...???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Figured I'd resurrect this thread, since I'm wondering the same thing as the OP, and some of you who replied may have additional experience to share, now that's it's February.

I'm heading out this week to Lake Louise and Panorama for four days on the slopes. I live in the prairies, so I only get four or five days of skiing each year.

I've only been primal for 3.5 weeks.

Comment

I went over Christmas. First time in three years. I was really surprised by how good I felt. Like I'd never stopped. I guess those pistols, shrimp squats, and Bulgarians are doing something useful for my quads. Losing weight helped, too, I'm sure.

As to eating, I ate a huge breakfast. Bacon, eggs, cream, a potato /lots of butter. I took some chocolate and a few nuts in my pocket for lunch and I was good to go.

Gordo

Comment

Beer.

Not entirely joking, especially if you havent been in awhile. A lot of people burn out their quads because they ski tense . I find about 1/2 pint relaxes me just enough to ski easy. Plus the carb hit. But then I am not gluten sensitive.

I'm also planning on hitting the squats and squat holds hard before my ski trip in March.
        MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Comment

Originally posted by runnergal View Post
          Beer.

Not entirely joking, especially if you havent been in awhile. A lot of people burn out their quads because they ski tense . I find about 1/2 pint relaxes me just enough to ski easy. Plus the carb hit. But then I am not gluten sensitive.

I'm also planning on hitting the squats and squat holds hard before my ski trip in March.
          Interesting...I'll have to try focusing on staying loose. So many things to think about, since I'll already have some focus on keeping my shoulders facing forward/down. On steep slopes, I have a tendency to turn my body too much, making subsequent turns that much more difficult.

So for chairlift snacks, what's best? Nuts? Dark chocolate? Dark chocolate-covered nuts?

Comment

Originally posted by runnergal View Post
            Beer.
            Some caution is indicated here. This solution worked a treat my first season. After that, with maybe 30 days under my belt, I wasn't tense anymore and the beer hurt my performance.

Gordo

Comment

Originally posted by gordo View Post
              Some caution is indicated here. This solution worked a treat my first season. After that, with maybe 30 days under my belt, I wasn't tense anymore and the beer hurt my performance.

Gordo
              Absolutely...it is meant to take the edge off tenseness. And also why I say 1/2 a beer. If you dont drink much on a regular basis try to get your non primal friend to have a beer and just have a couple sips.
              MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Comment

I used to have to fill up my coat with dried fruit & nuts & granola to get through a ski day. The last time I went, I had just switched to cutting grains & sugar, and while I was still 40lb overweight, I had more strength and endurance than I can ever remember having. I had eggs for breakfast, a huge bowl of chili (& a salad?) for lunch at the lodge(s) each day, and a big dinner, but had absolutely no need to eat while on the slopes or add any carbs (there were beans inthe chili; that's all).
                5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

FWIW, I rode epic pow today from 9am to 4pm without a break, and no food except a protein shake at 7:30 before taking the bus up.

I think the answer to your question is: go skiing when/where it's epic enough that you don't WANT to eat no matter how hungry you are
                  Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Comment

i went out on monday and kept my normal eating window of 12pm to 8pm, so i spent the first half of the day in an unfed state and had zero issues. I had some sausages for lunch and went back out. Got home, downed more food and then went and played basketball, i maintained energy levels from the start of snowboarding to the end of basketball at 9:30pm
                    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Comment

Working...
                    X