Crossfit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossfit

Who does it? Do you do MP or crossfit football or strength bias? how many times a week? how long have you been doing it?

I'm doing crossfit football, for the time being. I think next year I'm gonna hit a hybrid of crossfit endurance and football or something similar. I do 3-1-2-1, but I don't hesitate to take extra days off if I need them. I eat mostly primal, don't worry too much about legumes, indulge maybe a bit too much on sweets (which I am working on), and often eat rice.

Uhhh. So, yeah..

Not quite sure what you mean by
    Originally posted by jasonph View Post
    Do you do MP or crossfit football or strength bias?
    but I crossfit.

I did it for about 8 months a couple years ago then got bust and just quit (I was doing it on my own at that point) Then this August I joined our local gym and I've been doing it ever since. I go 4 times a week usually sometimes I miss a day here or there.

Thats how I found paleo and then primal. I'm going whole 30 right now and we'll see how it goes.

Comment

My partner is a certified 1 trainer and assigns me workouts when I can fit them into my schedule. I usually aim for about 4 times a week. And a bit over a year and a half (I think); I originally started training for powerlifting but she corrupted me.

Comment

I crossfit at a local box 5-6 days a week. I <3 crossfit. It has changed my life.

Comment

I crossfit 4-5 times a week with strength 3 times a week as im aiming to compete =]
          make sure your eating enough to cover what you burn with crossfit cause it can be hard..
          i fnd myself drinking coconut milk stright at times to get the fat! lol =]

Comment

I Crossfit in my garage. Hubby and I built a full CF area in the garage last year. Have to admit I rarely do an actual CF workout anymore, maybe 1 - 2x a week. I incorporate CF-style workouts into a kickboxing class I teach 3x a week though. We have about 30 min. of kickboxing and a 15 minute CF-style WOD. I took all my kettlebells, medballs, boxes, jumpropes, etc. into the dojo to use in the class. I still have the rower and weights at home. Also swim and trail run. Triathlon train in the summer months.

Comment

Started doing mainpage WOD's last January. It taught me A LOT and got me to this site. Since then I've decided I don't care to be an elite athlete but I want to be able to run a 10k at the drop of a hat and also Deadlift (300), Squat (275), Military Press (175), and Bench (250).

So now I run once every week. Practice those four lifts + pullups, goodmornings & planks. And participate in sports as often as possible.

As soon as I'm happy with those four lifts I'll probably start picking up some more gymnastics & oly lifts

Comment

i started doing crossfit around 3 - 4 weeks ago. love the training method and im seeing improvements across the board. i switched onto paleo however before starting crossfit, and thats where ive seen the biggest improvements....

i would encourage anyone thinking about giving crossfit a go, to just get in there...

you will be worked hard - but its worth it

Comment

Hey I'm a CrossFit L1 instructor (who isn't these days!), and yeah I CrossFit, probably 4-5 times a week, using kettlebells and bodyweight exercises as my main tools - I think CrossFit fits in well with a primal lifestyle, though it is clearly not for everybody.

If you're going to give it a go, wade in slowly, try find a box that'll break you in with a fundamentals course for the first 2-4 weeks, the longer the better to be honest as you don't want to get injured.

dc

Comment

Originally posted by gingergenocide View Post
                    Hey I'm a CrossFit L1 instructor (who isn't these days!), and yeah I CrossFit, probably 4-5 times a week, using kettlebells and bodyweight exercises as my main tools - I think CrossFit fits in well with a primal lifestyle, though it is clearly not for everybody.

If you're going to give it a go, wade in slowly, try find a box that'll break you in with a fundamentals course for the first 2-4 weeks, the longer the better to be honest as you don't want to get injured.

dc
                    Agreed! Its IMPOSSIBLE to wade into Crossfit too slowly. That's the only problem I have with the program. There is SO much out there people go way to fast way to quickly. I did, but was fortunate enough to not hurt myself more than tweaking a few muscles that only took a week or so to recover.

Comment

The box I go to has a 4-week fundamentals program that is mandatory for new members. There's an accelerated option for people with high fitness levels (to learn the movements only) and a test-out option for people who've done CF before. I can't imagine a gym not offering an intro program--the liability is just too much.

I'm just getting back after six weeks off (travelling in India) so I'm doing three days a week to get back into it, planning on stepping it up to at least four times a week soon. I got into CF this summer after going through rehab from a major complex leg injury (MCL tear, broken fibula, bad ankle sprain, and a lot of soft tissue injury). I was into taekwondo, but the knee is still not up to the rotational forces of TKD. CF gives me the same kind of asskicking workout I used to get at the dojang, so I'm enjoying it. My knee is doing great with it too. All those squats have made a huge difference!
                      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

My current plan is to get my squat to 205+ and other lifts proportional, and then give crossfit a good solid tryout with an open mind. There are a lot of crossfit skeptics out there in the strength community, and Robb Wolf and Mark Rippetoe among others have recently ended their crossfit associations. But it sounds fun and appealing, so I'll see how it goes once I build a good base of strength. It does NOT seem to me like the ideal type of gym if you can't do some pullups and such already.

Link to a recent Starting Strength article presenting a negative view of Crossfit (just spreading info here, people, don't hate)
                        http://startingstrength.com/articles...tion_wells.pdf
                        Last edited by tfarny; 11-24-2010, 05:15 PM.
                        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

I can't do pullups yet. A good box will scale stuff to help a person get there. I've made huge gains in strength so far and really increased other capacities (including balance, reaction time, mobility, etc.). I think it really depends on the affiliate. Any good one should be able to adapt and scale things to meet where people are fitness wise, which also includes scaling up for people who need more challenge...there's one guy at my gym who definitely fits that description!

Also, there's a big difference in how gyms manage CF training--some do the random approach (much like the main site WODs) while others have a planned programming schedule. I'd go with one that has a more planned program. That's not quite pure CF, I suppose, but I think it answers a lot of the concerns some critics have had about the random style of regular CF workouts.
                          “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by tfarny View Post
                            My current plan is to get my squat to 205+ and other lifts proportional, and then give crossfit a good solid tryout with an open mind. There are a lot of crossfit skeptics out there in the strength community, and Robb Wolf and Mark Rippetoe among others have recently ended their crossfit associations. But it sounds fun and appealing, so I'll see how it goes once I build a good base of strength. It does NOT seem to me like the ideal type of gym if you can't do some pullups and such already.

Link to a recent Starting Strength article presenting a negative view of Crossfit (just spreading info here, people, don't hate)
                            http://startingstrength.com/articles...tion_wells.pdf
                            Damon Wells is a fool. Everything that has ever come out of his mouth is about glorifying his exact method of fitness training. It doesn't matter what kind of training it is, if it is not in line with his program he does anything he can to make it look or sound stupid.

Then he has this gem:
                            The bottom line in training is the realization of improvements that are quantifiable. A runner
                            should get faster. A powerlifter should get stronger. An athlete should improve on sport-specific
                            skills. By incorrectly training a carelessly tossed together hodgepodge of techniques, you are essentially
                            training to be good at nothing. Some proponents of these methods preach the opposite: variety leads
                            to improvement in everything. An example of this is CrossFit’s claim that they train for the unknown
                            and the unknowable. Unfortunately, this is not how human physiological systems work. You become
                            better at that which you practice, both metabolically and mechanically. Practicing everything makes
                            you better at nothing.
                            This is so fucking stupid I don't even know where to start. It's like trying to convince a person who believes the moon is green that it's actually white and will argue this while standing with you outside during a full moon. Powerlifing makes you stronger? I agree. Running makes you faster? I agree with that too. Combining the two ruins both? What kind of retardation is this? Guess what Damon wells, I can't lift as much as a pure power lifter or run as fast as a pure runner but I can lift more than the runner and I can run faster than the lifter. That's what crossfit does!

Also, everything he writes is designed to twist anything that is not in his periodization scheduling of exact exercises into looking like something retarded or stupid. I am now going to apply the exact same concept to his article.

"Periodization of workout routines is absolutely horrible. It's something that was designed in the old days before we really understood what was required in fitness. Anyone who focuses on a routine around pure power lifting or pure running is just asking for over-specialization and will not be able to react to anything outside of their specific domain. It is dangerous to work parts of the body too much and sets one up for failure.

On the other hands, crossfit is designed to train the entire body and introduce skills and muscle memory into parts of the body that you never knew you could use! Crossfit will help you lift more, run faster and farther, and perform better in almost any athletic endeavor. Don't buy into the specialization or periodization hype, it's just a way for coaches to make money off you. Train your entire body and your body will thank you."

HOLY SHIT WHY IS NO ONE PUBLISHING MY ARTICLES LOOK HOW EASY THIS WAS.

In other word, fuck that guy and I think he is a huge douchebage. There is my rant for the day.

Comment

My 2 cents is this. My CrossFit gym is FUN. I ENJOY it. My gym time is in many ways the best part of my day even when my day is great. I love the people, I hugely respect my coach and I am fitter and stronger and more dedicated and have better form and... etc then when I began. Plus it encourages me to stick with making my life healthier. It is what introduced me first to the zone and then to paleo and that lead to PB. So yeah. I like CrossFit.

Comment

Working...
                              X