Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Fuel - Good Pre-Workout Meal Replacement?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Fuel - Good Pre-Workout Meal Replacement?

Hi all,

First time poster here. I'm currently looking for a meal replacement - reason being that I attend a martial arts class at night, mainly high intensity interval type training, and there isn't enough time to get to a good food place and still make it to class in time.

I don't know too much about nutrition, so was wondering if Mark's Primal Fuel drink would serve as a good pre-workout meal replacement? Thoughts?

I definitely think so! You'll find some here are opposed to smoothies in general, but I find that they are tasty and filling. As for Primal Fuel specifically, I have to try it but the ratios are great. Though, depending on the intensity of your exercise and your weight goals, you may want to add some carbs to this as I remember it being pretty low carb.

Comment

Yup, that's what I was concerned about. From what I've read online, it seems I should load up on protein and complex carbs before a workout, but Primal Fuel seems to boast low-carb as one of its main points.

Comment

Just pack something from home...

Comment

Originally posted by Sovereign View Post
          Yup, that's what I was concerned about. From what I've read online, it seems I should load up on protein and complex carbs before a workout, but Primal Fuel seems to boast low-carb as one of its main points.
          Personally, I would drink the smoothie and have half a banana or something. Bring some fruit to go with your smoothie and you're golden

Comment

I drink primal fuel after every crossfit WoD, but never before because I'd rather keep it in my stomach than on the floor.

I also had one after my jiu-jitsu class.

Comment

I would rather do a meal replacement bar, like the ones from http://youbars.com
              My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
              My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Comment

What time is the class @? like 6? I usually eat a mini-meal around 4 (some protein (a couple oz worth), some fat (a few almonds), some veg (half a cup of chopped raw veg like carrots or something with a little more carb) and a lil fruit (half an apple or some berries). Fuels the workout and you are digested enough to not chuck up on the floor. Basically I pack a bigger lunch, eat 2/3 of it at lunch and the other 1/3 a couple hours before 'performance'. Ive always done this, even before going primal...works well.

Comment

The class is at 7:30, the ride takes 45 minutes and I finish work at 6, so I usually go to the nearest food place and scarf something down. It's quite rushed, which is why I'm looking around for alternatives.

Comment

Tanka Bars might work.
                    Last edited by PaleoDavid; 01-01-2011, 05:42 PM. Reason: typo "might" not "night." LOL

Comment

That stuff is processed, as are bars. My rule of thumb is not to eat any processed food, no matter who sells it or how wonderful it sounds.

+1 on the smoothies. Just buy a thermos and you're good to go.

Gordo

Comment

I'm a smoothie fan as well, but am used to make them with milk. I'm new to primal and see dairy mentioned in recipes but still aren't 100% sure if milk is okay on a semi-regular basis...I'm talking about a cup (give or take) a day.

Comment

I usually make my smoothies with whole milk yogurt and/or kefir and a bunch of fruit. Coconut milk would work if you want to avoid dairy. I understand that dairy provokes a strong insulin response. Does anyone know if that's also true for fermented dairy? I usually do my smoothies post-workout anyway, as I hate to work out on a full stomach, but it would be nice to know for those times that I need a quick meal on the run, like the OP.

Gordo

Comment

Working...
                          X