Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mountain Biking

Hi All
    I mountain bike about 4 times a week - 90 minutes on weekdays and 3 to 4 hours on weekends. The rides are pretty intense - steep uphills followed by steep downhills. My heart rate obviously goes up and down a lot. How does this fit in with the primal view on exercise? On the longer rides on some uphills my heart rate will stay elevated (80 to 90 % or even 100% at times) for 20 minutes or more at a time.

I cut out grains 8 wks ago. I haven't really been "training", but I do ride regularly. I wasn't really planning to do any XC mtb racing this season, but I did end up doing one last week. I was STOKED that my time was even better than last year when I was training.

I think it's a lot to do w/ cutting the grains out - I feel lighter, like I have a better power to weight ration & I don't have any energy dips any more.

I don't know how mtb fits in with "primal" but I just thought I would share my mtb experience with you. (granted, in Texas, it's really "off road riding", since there are no mountains, except in the far west & Big Bend).

Comment

You're playing, not doing cardio just for the sake of doing cardio and the hills that you are climbing are causing you to sort of interval train. I see no problem with that at all in the context of being primal.
      http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Who gives a #$#$%#% it's a blast!!!
        You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Comment

Any time is a good time for Moutain Biking! I would love to do a trip out to Fruita right about now!

Comment

agreed...some people sweat the "am i fitting into the primal blueprint?" too much. if it is something you enjoy and you arent injured go for it...i love mountain biking...i go every chance i can as well.

Comment

1 hour from now I will be on top of our local mountain on my trusty Top Fuel! Life would not be as fulfilling to me if I did not mountain bike.

Comment

How high's your local mountain?

Comment

It averages in the 2000,s and peaks around 3000. A typical ride out there (12-20 miles) will give me around 2500-3500 feet of climbing according to my Garmin.

Comment

here's how i view it:

fun. check.
                    connection with nature. check.
                    connection with others (if you ride with buddies). check.
                    adrenaline. check.
                    moments of being outside your comfort zone. check.
                    lots of exercise. check.
                    using brain to intensely focus on something, with the penalty for failure being significant (on the downs). check.
                    feeling alive. check.
                    deep breathing (on the ups). check.

yep, i'd be worrying about if it fit primal too mountain biking is simply my favourite thing to do. i'm so lucky to live in vancouver and be able to do it here on the north shore, or in an hour and a bit be up at whistler for thousands of meters of chairlift-assisted insanity a day.

Comment

I also mtn bike; i'm curious what you eat before riding: do u put any carbs (fruit) into your body or do u just eat fat? Thanks so much!

L

Comment

Drank some coconut water before and after; fyi. My ride was bomber! 90 minutes and I wish we had ridden longer!

Comment

i just eat as per normal - just higher quantities. i also pack trail mix with me. heard good things about coconut water, haven't really felt like i needed it.

Comment

What's more primal than gripping your bike for dear life as you speed down a rocky trail? Or riding all the way up a particularly challenging climb and being able to admire the view from the top?

I love mountain biking. More fun than anything!

Comment

Damn I really want to start MTB-ing this Summer!! I moto-crossed as a kid until I was 16 so my bike handling is good, I just need all the equipment!

Comment

Working...
                              X