Building Muscle and lean mass on PB?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building Muscle and lean mass on PB?

Hey folks, im an avid weightlifter looking to transition to the primal/paleo diet, but i want to be sure ill still be able to build lean muscle and keep body fat as low as possible while on the diet.
    Will i be able to do so?
    Feral.

I believe that you will. In general paleo/primal is seen as low carb, but to me the main points are avoiding grains and industrial vegetable oils. The past couple months I've added carbs (in the form of sweet potatoes or winter squash) and lowered fat on my workout days and I'm getting good results. I eat more according to the general guidelines for Primal Blueprint on non-lifting days. I'm pretty much following the Lean Gains protocol.

Comment

effortlessly

Comment

You will have to eat a ton of primal food to get enough calories to build mass.

Comment

lojasmo: a ton? most primal food is rich in fat - so its dense in calories- a ton is definately not needed. and more than about pure pluscals its about manipulating your cortisol/HGH cycles... easily done with PB, leangains style IF, and some INTELLIGENT PWO nutrition (and im definately not talking about PWO shakes here)...
          challenge yourself
          i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Eat plenty of meat and veggies every day, dense carb sources like yam/sweet potato post workout. Rinse repeat. If you can't get enough cals eating like this throw dairy into the mix.

Comment

Absolutely it's a great diet for weightlifting. We have a group on here and it's easy to keep your protein high and your carbs low except for when you're carb cycling. As a lifter keeping your protein high is pretty much a given. After that, if you want to stay lean, you'll need to choose between eating low carb or low fat so you can control that amount of fat that you carry. If you pick low carb then PB can work for you. I use sweet potatoes for my carb cycling.
              Just bear in mind though that if you do go low carb you may get the low carb flu for a few weeks and not be able to work out very hard if at all. Once your body does adapt then you can get back to pushing it again.
              http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

IFing also works great in that context as well. I would highly recommend checking into Martin Berkhan's www.leangains.com if you haven't already.

Comment

the best part about the PB for me recently has been the shorter recovery times. I have been surprising myself lately.

I fell off the Blueprint for a week due to travelling, and when i returned it took me a few days to get back to normal. A week back in, I feel lighter, bigger, faster, and stronger all at once. The gains have been awesome. The DOMS is so much less.
                  Every Day is a New Adventure

Comment

Your mileage may vary, but it's extremely difficult for me to put on mass with a lowish-carb (150g/day or less) diet. I've always had a pretty low appetite unless I'm eating a lot of carbs, in which case I'm hungry all the time and can easily maintain a caloric surplus. On PB, it's a daily struggle for me to eat even a maintenance level of calories. I'm always full from the fat and protein in my diet. I have to carefully plan my meals each day to assure that I eat enough to gain muscle mass -- and at least half the time I fail despite my efforts.

Comment

I agree with most here........It's very difficult to gain mass eating primally if you follow the basic principal of only eating when your hungry. One of the major side effects of eating primally is that it's very satiating, which is great for the majority that are looking to lose weight, but not so great if your looking to put on mass. Your going to have to eat at a caloric surplus to gain muscle if that is what you want....otherwise a paleo type diet can shed a good amount of body fat to expose existing muscle if your getting enough protein and keeping your TDEE not too far south of maintenance, while doing a lot of pushing and pulling.
                      Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

Comment

Not totally sure about gaining mass... but I added some serious strength eating this way. (Unfortunately I've fallen off since my wedding/honeymoon... started back on the train yesterday though!)

After some serious knee issues and a period of inactivity, I got my bench press back up to where it was in college and added 60 pounds to my squat and deadlift over a period of about 2 months. Added some size... but mostly just became rock solid... looking forward to getting like that again!

Comment

Originally posted by New Renaissance View Post
                          the best part about the PB for me recently has been the shorter recovery times. I have been surprising myself lately.

I fell off the Blueprint for a week due to travelling, and when i returned it took me a few days to get back to normal. A week back in, I feel lighter, bigger, faster, and stronger all at once. The gains have been awesome. The DOMS is so much less.
                          Are you also experiencing a decrease in DOMS? It's something I've struggled with in the past, but is almost non-existent on PB. I'm not sure if it is due to more protein, fewer toxins, or what.
                          The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

Originally posted by theholla View Post
                            Are you also experiencing a decrease in DOMS? It's something I've struggled with in the past, but is almost non-existent on PB. I'm not sure if it is due to more protein, fewer toxins, or what.
                            I used to get really bad DOMS but not anymore. I do half body workouts and rotate weekly between two upper body workouts and a lower to two lowers and one upper. I thought I would deffinatly get DOMS from two squat days in a week but it never happened.
                            "Live Free or Die"

Comment

I you all take creatine for the DOMS? My recovery times seem a lot better since I started with creatine and I don't think I have any issues with DOMS.

Comment

Working...
                              X