Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Boxing - Nutrition?

Hi guys.

I've found that since I've been paleo/primal, my boxing performance has seriously suffered. After about 20 minutes in, my shoulders burn from holding my arms up and quite frankly, they feel no stronger than big lumps of jello.

The people I box with have noticed that my performance has dropped too - quite depressing really.

Is this a nutrition issue? Lack of carbs? (I'm around 100 to 150 grams of carbs a day and 5'11", 154lbs.)

Advice will be much appreciated

How long are your training sessions?

Comment

Have you tried eating bannanas/ sweet potatos/ nut butters before training?
      sigpic

Comment

20 mins into what? tell us exactly what your training consists of.

By that stage your body should be burning fat efficiently like any other sport primal people do, your glcvogen wont have depeleted by that time. Having said that, if you are active don't be afraid of good carbs. and use them to recover faster, do you train often?
        www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by rockstareddy View Post
          20 mins into what? tell us exactly what your training consists of.

By that stage your body should be burning fat efficiently like any other sport primal people do, your glcvogen wont have depeleted by that time. Having said that, if you are active don't be afraid of good carbs. and use them to recover faster, do you train often?
          Sorry, 20 minutes into sparring.

Strength training 3x/week, boxing 2x/week.

Comment

Originally posted by arthurb999 View Post
            How long are your training sessions?
            2 hours. - 2 hours of very, very intense work.

Comment

Originally posted by MeatMe216 View Post
              Have you tried eating bannanas/ sweet potatos/ nut butters before training?
              I've tried sweet potato and butter nut squash about 2 hours prior to training - it didn't seem to make a difference.

Comment

How long have you been at it (eating primal) and do you get enough saturated fats?

Comment

if eating sweet potatoe didn't make a differnce, I doubt the primal lifestyle is the problem...

20 mins sparring is a long time mate!? you managed this no problem before? fats will supply you with far more calories for your workouts. Just be wary of recovery time needed.
                  www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by slowcooker View Post
                    How long have you been at it (eating primal) and do you get enough saturated fats?
                    4 or 5 months. Plenty of sat. fats.

Comment

You will need to get some decent carbs in you for your boxing sessions (and in my opinion immediately after). When I was boxing and trying to get down to make weight I used to be on a fairly spartan diet for a few weeks at a time with almost no carbs. The result in performance was considerably less energy and slower reactions (damn getting hit in the head more during those periods).

Boxing is not a sport where you get into a nice even 'fat burning zone' such as distance running. It is full of intense bursts that depends heavily on a developed anaerobic and aerobic base to recover quickly. So even though in long boxing workouts you would be burning fat almost the entire time you still need carbs to replenish ATP stores at a much faster rate than fat can do. When doing weights you may find this is not such an issue as rest times between activity bursts are probably considerably longer (holds true for me anyway).

My advice for what its worth, on your boxing days eat some decent carbs that day (more than 2 hours before) and if it comes down to it have the dreaded energy drink or a small bag of lollies handy. Not primal but beats having your skull battered more than normal on those days.

Comment

Originally posted by Ippon View Post
                        You will need to get some decent carbs in you for your boxing sessions (and in my opinion immediately after). When I was boxing and trying to get down to make weight I used to be on a fairly spartan diet for a few weeks at a time with almost no carbs. The result in performance was considerably less energy and slower reactions (damn getting hit in the head more during those periods).

Boxing is not a sport where you get into a nice even 'fat burning zone' such as distance running. It is full of intense bursts that depends heavily on a developed anaerobic and aerobic base to recover quickly. So even though in long boxing workouts you would be burning fat almost the entire time you still need carbs to replenish ATP stores at a much faster rate than fat can do. When doing weights you may find this is not such an issue as rest times between activity bursts are probably considerably longer (holds true for me anyway).

My advice for what its worth, on your boxing days eat some decent carbs that day (more than 2 hours before) and if it comes down to it have the dreaded energy drink or a small bag of lollies handy. Not primal but beats having your skull battered more than normal on those days.
                        This is what I thought I needed to do but just wasn't sure if it was some kind of carb deficit that was creating the problem. - Punched in the head.. yeah.. it's been happening more since I've taken a low carb approach!

thanks for the reply - really helpful.

Comment

My advice would be to increase the calories and carb content of your diet. Training 5 times a week is a lot of work so make sure you are properly fueled. I was having similar performance issues in the gym and muay thai training but recently feel much better at both since eating more carbs.
                          "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

Comment

I think this thread raises the question of whether endurance training does in fact require more carbs. The fact that it usually makes you crave them suggests that it does. An interesting question.

Comment

Hi, I am also a boxer (4 fights so far and counting). I always eat a little bit of carbs before my training session. I realize that it is not exactly the paleo thing to do but I love boxing so I make the compromise.

30 minutes before training, if I am going to be sparring that day or otherwise working very hard, I will have a starch of some sort, like a sweet potato. In the gym parking lot I eat a roll of Smarties (pure dextrose). If my workout is really long and hard (2+ hours) I may sip something sugary midway through, like a sports drink.

If I am not sparring that day I just sip a sports drink as needed, sometimes not at all.

Obviously this isn't ideal but it's the compromise that has allowed me to box while eating primal the rest of the time. I keep my carbs very low outside of my workout to compensate. I eat all the fibrous veggies I want but no starches, and I only have 1 serving of fruit per day, either berries or grapefruit. I might eat a small square of dark chocolate after dinner. This is also known as a "targeted ketogenic diet", but I try to make primal food choices rather than just living on Splenda and hot dogs or something.

Also when I have a fight I immediately carb up after weigh ins. I also bring rolls of Smarties with me to the fight.

By the way, caffeine helps a LOT, too.

Good luck with your boxing. Feel free to ask me any questions, I have been boxing while eating primal for over a year. It has been instrumental in getting me from middleweight to featherweight. This week I've had two sparring sessions where they had to keep rotating in fresh opponents for me while I just kept going. The other trainers commented that I had the best conditioning of anyone there So it is possible.
                              Last edited by erica057; 09-03-2010, 01:47 PM.
                              My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
                              My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Comment

Working...
                              X